HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:07 PM

So is it the environmental impact assessment report that is dated 2005 or is it the approval?

If it is the approval, then I think it has since been overturned.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:45 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienc View Post
Is there anywhere online that shows a map of what this is going to look like?
Original design

http://www.rlagolf.com/golf_moncton.html

- not sure it it was what was approved

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:54 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

The proposed Bridgedale Blvd would end opposite Glenview St, rather than Pinewood.

You can take a look at the http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/783.pdf map that the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission (awkward name) has on their website.

Actually, that map has a lot more to show than just the area in question. It shows the eventual paths of the West-Riverview loop road and all of the neighbourhood connections.

It'll take a long time for it to happen, but it's good to see Riverview planning ahead to deal with the ever-increasing traffic along Coverdale.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 3:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

If this design is still valid, then the road connector through to Gunningsville Blvd probably wouldn't be opposite Bridgedale Blvd. It doesn't look like it would be far north enough.

Still, I guess it wouldn't matter too much since the road through to Pinewood isn't going to be a straight shot. I still suspect that there will be a retail/commercial node at the Gunningsville/Bridgedale intersection.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that it's pretty impressive that there will be four residential golf course developments in the metropolitan area:
- Fox Creek
- Royal Oaks
- Mountain Woods
- Moncton G&CC

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It would appear that the above plan for the Moncton G&CC is no longer valid:

The image above is from the 2012 Riverview municipal development plan. You can clearly see that the extension of Pinewood Road is to be realligned and will intersect the top end of Gunningsville Blvd. It will cross Gunningsville Blvd and then head north, crossing the (future) Bridgedale Blvd and finally joining with Wendell St.

This map is also kinda neat in that it clearly shows the future allignment of Bridgedale Blvd, where it will connect with Gunningsville Blvd and how it will lie behind the (future) Gunningsville School.

The municipal plan also explicitly states that there will be a commercial/retail node at the Gunningsville/Bridgedale Blvd intersection.

Red = commercial
Yellow = residential
Green = parkland/institutional

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 12:41 AM

Hmm... What I'm wondering is where's that proposed street going? The one right in the middle with parkland on each side of it, looks like it's crossing Hillsborough road and going strait for the river.

Are they really planing on a crossing there?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Planning for it, not necessarily planning it
50 years from now, it'll be a lot easier to put a bridge there if you don't have to expropriate 500 houses to do it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:25 AM

Granted. Speaking of planing, does bridgedale blvd also line-up with a major street on the Dieppe side, Melanson maybe?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:00 AM

FYI, Coast Tire will be closing the location at the corner of Main and Cameron...... isn't the CIBC pulling out of there too?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Granted. Speaking of planing, does bridgedale blvd also line-up with a major street on the Dieppe side, Melanson maybe?
Yup.....

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

From where they're suggesting now, I'd say Melanson Road. If a third bridge were to go up (and I daresay we're talking 25 or more years), the best spot would be further down stream. Dieppe Blvd is supposed to end at Dover Road someday. The Dover, Dieppe, Amirault intersection would make an interesting spot for an interchange connecting to a bridge over to Riverview.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
FYI, Coast Tire will be closing the location at the corner of Main and Cameron...... isn't the CIBC pulling out of there too?
Yes, the rumour is that when the new CIBC opens on East Main that this branch would close.

Are you implying that there may be another large block of land being consolidated in the Highfield Square area?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:36 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The Dover, Dieppe, Amirault intersection would make an interesting spot for an interchange connecting to a bridge over to Riverview.
This needs to happen. This this this.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:49 AM

I noticed something going on at the OLD ACTION trucks parts store on Edinburgh drive...a facelift of some sorts but no idea what is going there.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There may be something afoot for the south end of Gunningsville Blvd.

We know that all the legal issues around the new residential development at the Moncton G&CC have now been settled. We also know that the Town of Riverview is realligning the extension of Pinewood Rd though the south end of the golf course property.

The town now also has a rezoning request before the GMPDC so that a couple of parcels of land bounding the south end of Gunningsville can be redesignated as multiple unit dwelling (presumably apartments or condos).

I presume this means that Clayton Developments wants to get started on their golf course community sooner than later.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:25 PM

Interesting article in today's Times..

Quote:
Parking lot to find new purpose?

BY BRENT MAZEROLLE

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
16 Feb 2012 08:34AM

A prime piece of downtown Moncton property that has spent the past decade as a parking lot might be about to be put to new use.

The City of Moncton and Rogers are approaching the end of a 10-year contract that sees the city provide 385 parking spots for the company at a cost of $1 per year, but the contract won’t expire because the first of three possible five-year extensions to the deal will take effect. (A fourth possible extension has been nullified because it required Rogers to undergo an expansion that didn’t happen by an agreed deadline).

However, with negotiations well under way for a new development on the land, that parking lot may be on the move before the next five years pass.

Yes, you did read that correctly. After all these years, the last parcel of the former Beaver Lumber lands bought by the city in 1998 is finally poised for a residential and commercial development. Maybe.

It will be 10 years on Saturday since Moncton council approved the parking deal, and it had its detractors from Day One in then-councillors Brian Hicks, George LeBlanc and Kathryn Barnes. At the latest council meeting, Hicks revisited his objections.

At issue over the years has been the relative merits of drawing Rogers and 700 jobs into downtown versus the potential lost revenue from either charging for the parking itself or from developing the land to a higher use.

Essentially, nothing has changed, except there is now more hope the site is about to finally have a building constructed upon it.

Asked for some accounting of the numbers involved in the “Beaver lands” saga, so named because the parcels the City of Moncton bought to promote and control downtown development back in 1998 were last owned by the Beaver Lumber company, city solicitor Stephen Trueman said the city was now getting about $1 million per year in property tax revenues from the development of Rogers and the new Moncton Law Courts on two of the three Beaver parcels.

Meanwhile, “we are in discussions about developing the third piece of the property, which will obviously create more revenue.”

As well, because Rogers is not using all of its allotted spaces and because the lot has more than 400 spaces, the city is currently renting another 140 spaces in the lot for $75 per month.

The developer is Ash-Verd, a partnership of companies Ashford Properties and Verdiroc, and it has known all along that it will be responsible for helping the city honour the parking lot contract though other means when they develop.

The leading idea that has been tossed around over the years is that any new development would have to include a parking structure to stack cars instead of taking up so much land mass, but Trueman said precise details were still being worked out.

It is worth remembering, though, that the sea of cars parked between Rogers and Assomption Boulevard most days is somewhat larger than what the city is contractually obliged to provide.

A development on the land would mark the completion of the municipality’s long foray into land development. Meanwhile, the move of the provincial jail to Shediac coming in March or April will mean another parcel of the downtown core could be up for grabs.

Trueman said, however, there’s no immediate plan in the works for the city to acquire the old jail property.

“The province’s internal process is to offer it to other provincial departments first,” Trueman said.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:52 PM

Hey Guys, since we have been talking about Riverview, I found a map that lays out their Capitol Works Projects for 2012 on their website. It shows the new roads, repaving, street reconstruction and sidewalks that they are going to do this year. Very interesting. You can download the PDF map here

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:54 PM

(Roger's Parking Article)

Very interesting!

BTW Who owns the land Oulton's is currently on? Will that be in play in the near future as well?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, very interesting news about the Roger's parking lot......

I do recall, about a year or so ago, some talk about a "major" residential/commercial project rumoured for the last bit of the Beaver Lumber lands. This rapidly dropped off the radar though, and since Verdiroc was involved in this possible development, I just assumed that this project had turned to stone just like everything else that this company has touched in the downtown over the last decade.

If the Roger's parking lot is to be sacrificed, this would obviously mean that a two phase development project will be necessary. Phase one would be construction of a new downtown parking garage. Phase two would be converting the existing parking lot into commercial/residential space.

I won't hold my breath on this one though. I don't think I'll believe it until I can see it!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
I noticed something going on at the OLD ACTION trucks parts store on Edinburgh drive...a facelift of some sorts but no idea what is going there.
Speaking of Action, I noticed Breakaway Auto has been parking some of their inventory at the old Action location on West Main. I'm wondering if they may move there and Acadia Toyota would annex their current location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces