HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
^ Edmonton is great for bike commuting...if you ignore the bike lanes and just take the streets that make the most sense for your travel plans. Seriously. Most drivers are actually courteous and responsible around cyclists on the streets.

The actual bike routes and lanes are terrible, however. Worse than useless.
Yep. My route includes a great bike route on a residential road (signs only) and an opportunistic path along the LRT, but the connection between the two on "official" bike routes is a 3-block detour and crossing a major street twice. In 9 years I have never seen anyone go the "correct" way, because it's stupid. Same with the connection to downtown - there's a flight of stairs because spending any money on cycling is just not done.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Map of the award-winning RiverWalk project, existing and future. Stage two likely begins this year.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:50 PM
ARTchitecture

A sample of what one of Calgary's new cycle lanes look like. They're very well done in my opinion. Really glad to hear that the full downtown network has been approved by the city.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake of the nations View Post
Since spring's been here I've been using the trail on the north side of the Magog river, then the south branch of the round-the-lake path (those two pics) to commute from my place (near the Carrefour) to downtown. I generally ride it all the way to Burlington Street then I go up the hill (Lionel-Groulx blvd), so 90% of the distance is done on actual bike lanes. For a car-friendly city like Sherbrooke, that's something

When it's beautiful out, especially on week evenings and weekends, the damn 'zone zen' really annoys me, though. It's like an obstacle course...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
A sample of what one of Calgary's new cycle lanes look like. They're very well done in my opinion. Really glad to hear that the full downtown network has been approved by the city.

The first picture is Vancouver, if the rain hadn't given it away the West Van blue bus sure should have!

Here's a good pic of the new bike lanes in Calgary from the city's website:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...k-network.aspx

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh shit! I got it from CTV Calgary though (or some Calgary news thing). Damn liars! Well, they look the same. Thanks for the extra pic!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:04 PM
ARTchitecture

A rendering of one of the nexuses of Calgary's core bike lane network, at 8th Avenue and 7th Street SW. The new lanes will be coming online next year.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...453/story.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Hamilton Bike Share, very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hamilton's Bike Share is being rolled out in Hamilton this summer

Hamilton Bike Share
https://twitter.com/SoBiHamilton/sta...134337/photo/1

Andrew Pettit
https://twitter.com/4Pettit/status/4...178690/photo/1

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada