HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 10:11 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.
I didn't mean tall. But that would sure be welcome too! Not sure it's in the cards (though certainly a more realistic spot for a project like Bridgeman's than Northern Liberties)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 11:52 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
I've always hoped that something like the Waldorf or Bridgeman's View would end up there.Anything less than 650' would be criminal.
Kind of hyperbole I think.

Realistically, it's pretty unlikely anything close to 650’ will get built there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:53 AM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Kind of hyperbole I think.

Realistically, it's pretty unlikely anything close to 650’ will get built there.
True, especially given the present owners track record.But there were plans many moons ago that did have 2 tall buildings on that site, so you never know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 8:49 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
The 70s/80s created a complete urban travesty. And here we are today, looking forward, creating a new great urban area in the city of Philadelphia.

Congrats.
Amen gentlemen. Amen. I'd even group the 50's and 60's, along with the 70s/80s. WTF were they thinking back then? And why?

Nothing hurts more than things like I-95 getting pushed through some of the most historic blocks in the country.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon

Philadelphia transportation thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 11:15 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Amen gentlemen. Amen. I'd even group the 50's and 60's, along with the 70s/80s. WTF were they thinking back then? And why?

Nothing hurts more than things like I-95 getting pushed through some of the most historic blocks in the country.
Building highways right at our rivers (and other wholly inappropriate spots) and cutting our rivers off from the city was the worst possible city planning. It is costing a fortune to try and mitigate. Even the capping of small areas is expensive, and a true global solution (like a Boston-style dig) is hugely expensive. Oh, well. Onward and upward (literally!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:17 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The worst thing about the gallery has nothing to do with the tenants- its really the fact that the facade facing Market is mostly a blank wall. It is truly hard to understand what they were thinking in the 70s when they designed the exterior of the building. Its like having a 3 story warehouse structure sitting in the middle of downtown. I am definitely curious about how much public money PREIT is going to ask for.
The gallery will always be a failure so long as the stores don't have windows facing the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:44 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
The gallery will always be a failure so long as the stores don't have windows facing the street.
Good thing PREIT's plans will change that:

http://phillyurbanliving.blogspot.co.../the%20gallery

Anyhow, I feel we have gotten derailed. Largely my fault by bringing up the Gallery and Philadelphia's misuse of its rivers (a pet peeve of mine). Let's bring the thread back to talk of the East Market proposal (Girard Square).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:04 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Good thing PREIT's plans will change that:

http://phillyurbanliving.blogspot.co.../the%20gallery

Anyhow, I feel we have gotten derailed. Largely my fault by bringing up the Gallery and Philadelphia's misuse of its rivers (a pet peeve of mine). Let's bring the thread back to talk of the East Market proposal (Girard Square).
well not much new there other than the building slowly disappearing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 11:48 PM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 902
PhillyDeals: Mom's Organic Market planned for made-over East Market



Quote:
Mom's Organic Market, a Maryland-based chain, is planning a new Center City grocery at 34 S. 11th St. in Philadelphia's new East Market development.

Like a more intimate Whole Foods fit into a Trader Joe's-sized 16,000 square-foot space, Mom's is designed to help draw the young and retired professionals to the four-acre block of planned new and renovated stores, apartments, offices, bars and restaurants bounded by Market, Chestnut, 11th, and 12th Streets.

East Market's investors include National Real Estate Advisors L.L.C., a Washington-based manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers' pension plan, plus local investors Joss Realty Partners, Young Capital L.L.C., and SSH Real Estate.

Mom's is the project's first retail tenant.

"It's important for us to get a grocer," said Daniel Killinger, East Market's development director. Especially a higher-end organic grocer: "Their mission is right in line with our target market, people who live, work, and shop here."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...7GajWL8STcy.99
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 1:44 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
PhillyDeals: Mom's Organic Market planned for made-over East Market

The market is great news, but that rendering is even better news. That looks hot! The entire project is really smart design and great urbanism. The Gallery could learn a thing or two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:15 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
The market is great news, but that rendering is even better news. That looks hot! The entire project is really smart design and great urbanism. The Gallery could learn a thing or two.
Does anyone know if they really plan on putting cobblestone down on 13th (that is 13th, right?)? Bruges is full of real cobblestone streets and it's really nice.

__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:33 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 99
I believe that's Ludlow St. between 11th and 12th. It will run between the Warehouse and East Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:11 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
I believe that's Ludlow St. between 11th and 12th. It will run between the Warehouse and East Market.
Maybe I don't understand the perspective of the rendering. The street in the foreground is 11th? With Ludlow as the pedestrian gap between the buildings? It's this view, right? (With the direction of traffic on 11th Street swapped?) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9510...Cw!2e0!6m1!1e1
__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:18 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Maybe I don't understand the perspective of the rendering. The street in the foreground is 11th? With Ludlow as the pedestrian gap between the buildings? It's this view, right? (With the direction of traffic on 11th Street swapped?) https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9510...Cw!2e0!6m1!1e1
I think the street with the two cars is Ludlow heading in the direction of 11th.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:24 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
I think the street with the two cars is Ludlow heading in the direction of 11th.
Oh, huh. I didn't realize there was a gap between the buildings down Ludlow that large to walk down. Interesting..
__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:36 AM
Guipos08 Guipos08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SJ/Philly
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Oh, huh. I didn't realize there was a gap between the buildings down Ludlow that large to walk down. Interesting..
The area infront of the store where all the pedestrians are is supposed to be part of the chesnut walk. That will run beween the warehouse and the Girard building thru the middle of East Market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:56 AM
josef's Avatar
josef josef is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Collingswood
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipos08 View Post
The area infront of the store where all the pedestrians are is supposed to be part of the chesnut walk. That will run beween the warehouse and the Girard building thru the middle of East Market.
Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
South Jerseyist
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:07 AM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Does anyone know if they really plan on putting cobblestone down on 13th (that is 13th, right?)? Bruges is full of real cobblestone streets and it's really nice.
Not to get TOO hypertechnical, but that doesn't appear to me to be cobblestone in the rendering. More like a herringbone paver pattern, perhaps even dry-laid (similar to what you find in modern suburban patios, walkways, etc.). Still nice, but not nearly as quaint--or EXPENSIVE--as true cobblestone, or even the mortared Belgian block (both literally and nominally!) in the photo of Bruges you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobblestone

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up too much, only to have them cruelly dashed by the ultimate reality.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:46 AM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Not to get TOO hypertechnical, but that doesn't appear to me to be cobblestone in the rendering. More like a herringbone paver pattern, perhaps even dry-laid (similar to what you find in modern suburban patios, walkways, etc.). Still nice, but not nearly as quaint--or EXPENSIVE--as true cobblestone, or even the mortared Belgian block (both literally and nominally!) in the photo of Bruges you posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobblestone

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up too much, only to have them cruelly dashed by the ultimate reality.
Real cobblesone is expensive. Yes. And beautiful. For sure. But not particularly modern. I'm fine with herringbone here if that's what they do. Philly does have real cobblestone streets in Old City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:14 AM
Speedbump Speedbump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
The street in the European town is not paved with cobblestone but cut blocks called Belgian Block. It's what many Philadelphia streets in the latter part of the 19th century were paved with.


Belgian Block was/is commonly referred to as cobblestone. Real cobblestone is used in some parts of Society Hill authenticating the first paving material used in streets during the colonial and federal periods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.