HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:09 AM

This is gonna be so sick when it's finished. Will really stand out. Good location for New York's overall skyline. Now they need to build another one close to empire state building, it's currently in the middle of nowhere as far as tall buildings go

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
This is gonna be so sick when it's finished. Will really stand out. Good location for New York's overall skyline. Now they need to build another one close to empire state building, it's currently in the middle of nowhere as far as tall buildings go
Not really, that's all changing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsElSOqg85D/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not really, that's all changing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsElSOqg85D/

Really? I was just saying what I said based off this pic
https://www.instagram.com/p/Br8Waz3hFbO/

Looks like there's nothing around it. One Vanderbilt and 30 Hudson look like the closest supertalls and they look a decent ways away

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:35 AM
DENNAB

Looks about 850 feet, this thing is growing like a weed

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 4:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Looks like there's nothing around it. One Vanderbilt and 30 Hudson look like the closest supertalls and they look a decent ways away

Looks can be deceiving. There's a whole group of skyscrapers going up around the ESB, including one supertall.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Now they need to build another one close to empire state building, it's currently in the middle of nowhere as far as tall buildings go
The Empire State Building has been NYC's most iconic building ever since it was built, even though it's obviously no longer the city's tallest skyscraper. I personally hope that it will remain largely unobstructed forever, but that's just me. On the other hand I don't mind allowing Chrysler to get "buried".

In most other cities, the most recognizable building is whichever happens to be the tallest, but this isn't the case for NYC. That makes the ESB special, and I hope it will stay that way.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
In most other cities, the most recognizable building is whichever happens to be the tallest, but this isn't the case for NYC. That makes the ESB special, and I hope it will stay that way.

The ESB will always be special, but that doesn't mean others can't be special too. Though horrible in design, the Twin Towers were special too. Of course, no one can touch the history of the ESB, but new towers like One Vanderbilt strive to make their own special mark on the skyline. It helps to have a distinctive top that will also be illuminated at night. One Vanderbilt will also double as tourist attraction, and like 30 Hudson become a destination in its own right. The funny thing is that there will still be people who confuse this tower with the ESB, just as there are still people who confuse the ESB with the Chrysler. That seems odd to us, but it happens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsJOWLJlrAC/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:10 AM

I also hope nothing too big gets built close to the ESB, especially to block the view of it from downtown and Brooklyn. I just love the view of it looking up 5th Avenue. Its quite special to walk up 5th Avenue at night looking up at the illuminated top of the ESB. Quintessential New York.

One Vanderbilt is in a great location and is my favorite rising at the moment. I can't wait to see its crown illuminated alongside the ESB. My only wish is that it was taller. One Vandy deserves to be the new star on the skyline. They should have kept the 1501 ft.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The Empire State Building has been NYC's most iconic building ever since it was built, even though it's obviously no longer the city's tallest skyscraper. I personally hope that it will remain largely unobstructed forever, but that's just me. On the other hand I don't mind allowing Chrysler to get "buried".

I think the opposite. I think Chrysler is much more striking than the Empire State Building and equally recognizable and emblematic of NYC. When I lived in New York in the late 2000s, I had a great view of the Chrysler Building from my apartment and loved it. One Vanderbilt complements Chrysler well.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I think the opposite. I think Chrysler is much more striking than the Empire State Building
I actually agree with you on this point. I think Chrysler has a more interesting and elegant design, and also has aged better than the ESB. In terms of "iconic-ness", within the US both buildings are probably more or less equally recognizable. But outside the US, many more people can name the ESB than Chrysler, and I bet the majority of people around the world, including grandmas and grandpas in developing countries, will instantly recognize that the ESB is a NYC building. I doubt we can say that about Chrysler.

Will One Vanderbilt ever be as recognizable as the ESB? It's very tall, big, and uniquely designed, but IMO the fact that it's just one of the many NYC supertalls being built around the same time will prevent it from truly standing out. The ESB was by far the world's tallest building for nearly four decades, and even after it was surpassed in height by the original WTC, many people somehow continued to think the ESB was NYC's tallest building (I am not making this up because I vividly recall having this discussion shortly after the 9/11/2001 attacks). But of course it was again NYC's tallest between 2001 and 2013.

Last edited by pianowizard; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

hey now --- we have a milestone --- this has just passed by the pan am/met life tower.

so for fun and just out of curiosity what's the next neighboring tower for it to pass?

chrysler spire and that black slab trump tower by the un is all i can think of.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:27 PM

A list of towers in the 800' range:
- 28 Liberty Street 813'
- CitySpire Center 814'
- 56 Leonard 821'
- One Manhattan Square (topped out) 847'
- 30 Rock 850'
- Trump World Tower 861'
- 8 Spruce 870'
- 10 Hudson Yards 878

Definitely a lot of new additions in just the last few years!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I actually agree with you on this point. I think Chrysler has a more interesting and elegant design, and also has aged better than the ESB. In terms of "iconic-ness", within the US both buildings are probably more or less equally recognizable. But outside the US, many more people can name the ESB than Chrysler, and I bet the majority of people around the world, including grandmas and grandpas in developing countries, will instantly recognize that the ESB is a NYC building. I doubt we can say that about Chrysler.

More people around the world will know the Empire State by name, but as far as visible recognition as a New York skyscraper, I think both are equal. Chrysler may even edge out the ESB in that regard.

Quote:
Will One Vanderbilt ever be as recognizable as the ESB? It's very tall, big, and uniquely designed, but IMO the fact that it's just one of the many NYC supertalls being built around the same time will prevent it from truly standing out. The ESB was by far the world's tallest building for nearly four decades, and even after it was surpassed in height by the original WTC, many people somehow continued to think the ESB was NYC's tallest building (I am not making this up because I vividly recall having this discussion shortly after the 9/11/2001 attacks). But of course it was again NYC's tallest between 2001 and 2013.

People generally don't follow skyscrapers, so that's part of the confusion. But One Vanderbilt is designed as the lovechild between the Chrysler and ESB. It will instantly be thrown into that mix of confusion for people who don't know the skyline. Empire State is iconic for many reasons, including as a co-star in the original King Kong. We're talking about nearly a century of stardom. Can Vanderbilt match that. Not likely, especially given that it will be eclipsed by a new tower just a few short blocks away (Chase). Add to that the fact that so many supertalls are going up at the same time, all sharing the spotlight on the new. But I also think because it's so close to an aged and instantly recognizable icon (Chrysler) that it will bathe in that same spotlight becoming among the most photographed or symbolic of New York towers.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:44 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 5, 2019 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^^This is one of the few shots of Manhattan that still haven't changed a whole lot since the late 1990s, when I visited NYC for the first time. Of course there have been changes, but not THAT many changes. As the fourth photo shows, as soon as we zoom out just a little bit, we suddenly see many more prominent newer buildings, beginning with The Trump World Tower which was, somewhat surprisingly, the world's tallest residential building when completed in 2000.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, perhaps. Guess we will have to see how One Vanderbilt ages and immerses itself in the collective consciousness. Perhaps we just need a few movies -- When Harry Met Sally 2 perhaps -- where the One Vanderbilt observation deck features.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:22 PM

I think longstanding recognition and stardom come from the fact that these towers were breaking world records AND beautifully designed. While buildings like One Vanderbilt are nicely designed, they are nothing really new or groundbreaking.

One of the few buildings that is doing both right now in the States is 111W57th, and I think it will have that stardom effect much more than anything else going up/gone up in these last 10 or so years.

It needs to be beautiful and when people walk by they need to go "how the fuck??"....to be apart of the collective memory.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:57 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I think the opposite. I think Chrysler is much more striking than the Empire State Building and equally recognizable and emblematic of NYC.
Quote:
I actually agree with you on this point. I think Chrysler has a more interesting and elegant design, and also has aged better than the ESB. In terms of "iconic-ness", within the US both buildings are probably more or less equally recognizable.

I live in Winnipeg, Canada and have never (yet) been to NYC. I've just seen the pictures.

I like both the Chrysler and the ESB buildings.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 1:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I think longstanding recognition and stardom come from the fact that these towers were breaking world records AND beautifully designed. While buildings like One Vanderbilt are nicely designed, they are nothing really new or groundbreaking.
That's part of it, but the other part of it is that they are part of the New York skyline, which is known around the world. New York hasn't had the tallest building in nearly half a century. Yet, the tallest buildings are constantly visible in movies, tv shows, or just random advertisements, etc. There are landmarks, and then there are "landmarks". People can point to buildings like the ESB and the Chrysler and they are instantly recognizable as New York because of that. I think this building will be a part of that group, especially now in the age of instagram, selfies, etc. One thing the city doesn't lack is people taking photographs of it. And when this tower is lit up at night, it'll be even more of a star.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsO6ToyFY3x/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrX20fmjbfQ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTmmazHCBc/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTzDE0g9zO/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTJHnNA1Fb/

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 7, 2019 at 2:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive