HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15501  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:16 AM
Rizzo Rizzo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ I don't really see any of those names coming to that location. Btw Kohl's is already less than a mile away to the north. That said, it's hard to think of many department store names (other than 2 that you mentioned) that are gung ho for expansion these days. What would make sense is one of those standalone departments of the department stores -- like the Bloomingdale's furniture/home at the Medinah or a Macy's equivalent or something like that. Although by now Clybourn has more furniture stores than Western had automobile dealerships, sheesh.

-----------------------

Don't know if this link was ever posted before, but it does have a PDF datestamped just 3 days ago available for download.

http://www.esquireonoak.com/

One example of some info on the site:
http://www.esquireonoak.com/images/2...-Elevation.jpg

That's definitely new. They are working hard on this building now. I snapped a couple photos the other day. It's cool seeing those areas now at double height. I really like the idea of greening up the building on the upper floors. I hope they follow through with that on the design. I also hope there will be an outdoor bar on that rooftop.

Last edited by Rizzo; Apr 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15502  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:47 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,130
This project just keeps getting worse... at least in the earlier version they were going to save some of the red granite to make a "window" on the upper terrace, which I thought was a fairly clever counterpart to Pereira's design even if the storefronts are to be given over to retailers. Now that's gone, and they've even removed the red granite from behind the Esquire sign because I guess Del Frisco's didn't like the color.

And then they're planning to do hanging planters on the scalloped brick wall? Why bother to even keep the sign?

One of the renderings even shows a fake townhouse facade plastered on the front, apparently since the developers are all too happy to build one if some preppy clothier like Ralph Lauren or Jack Wills or something comes along.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15503  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
markh9's Avatar
markh9 markh9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
4/22:

Burberry:




Can't wait to see the cladding go up on this one!

Jones College Prep:



Future stairwell?







Oh, and you know that embarrassing feeling when you run into someone in public wearing the same shirt/bag/hat/etc? Had a similar thing happen to me today while driving to get these shots...



(This terrible picture doesn't do it justice)

Saw this Ferrari, a Maserati, and GTR in the Loop all within 30 minutes. A nice way to end the day.

Last edited by markh9; Apr 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15504  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:11 PM
ChiPhi's Avatar
ChiPhi ChiPhi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago, Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Jones and the Burberry store are probably two of the most "different" (or exciting imo) buildings going into the central area right now. I don't know if their size (and purpose) says anything about the state of the economy or state of architecture, but I can't wait to see them finished. Really great fashion houses have had architecturally great stores for a while now (like the Herzog & De Meuron or Rem Koolhaas Prada stores or CBJ apple stores et al. that I can't think of) and institutions of learning (usually colleges -like Roosevelt's tower) have done great buildings. I guess towers are rarely used for "experimentation" (like aqua, marina city) except in times of desperation (marina city) or boom years (aqua).
__________________
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; Apr 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15505  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:22 PM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
Oh, and you know that embarrassing feeling when you run into someone in public wearing the same shirt/bag/hat/etc? Had a similar thing happen to me today while driving to get these shots...

Oh, that was you? You should've said hello.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15506  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:34 PM
jdcpamba jdcpamba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 54
Steel going up at Roosevelt fitness center on Wabash and Congress.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15507  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:33 PM
Tom Servo's Avatar
Tom Servo Tom Servo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Oh, that was you? You should've said hello.
DAMN! You beat me to it!


QUESTION: is there a newer version of the Jones High School, or is it the same as that rendering from a year or two ago?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15508  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:29 AM
markh9's Avatar
markh9 markh9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
While looking for an answer to your question, I came across this article in A|N from last February.

Had we seen the rendering of the back?



Looks gorgeous from all angles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15509  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
ChiPhi's Avatar
ChiPhi ChiPhi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago, Philadelphia
Posts: 500
^^^ It looks like that article features both color combinations (the one with and the one without the orange). Does anyone know if a final decision has been made regarding the color?
__________________
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15510  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ch.G, Ch.G's Avatar
Ch.G, Ch.G Ch.G, Ch.G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
DAMN! You beat me to it!
Great minds drink alike!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15511  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:47 PM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^ It looks like that article features both color combinations (the one with and the one without the orange). Does anyone know if a final decision has been made regarding the color?
If I know Perkins+Will, and I think I do, it is likely they will make it all white. The more recent renderings I've seen only included the all white paneling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15512  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:30 PM
ChiPhi's Avatar
ChiPhi ChiPhi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago, Philadelphia
Posts: 500
^^^I can't decide which I prefer. I think that both will look nice, and I think I would be happy either way.
__________________
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15513  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 3:47 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,741
3030 N. Broadway Propsal

Actually I'm not sure if I have the address right, but I'm wondering if anybody here knows if the new VDT-designed plan for a Mariano's-anchored retail/residential project for the old Dominick's site in Lakeview is moving forward through the approval process......has their been much unreasonable reaction from NIMBY pressure groups like there has been for the project proposed at the Ihop site? Fantastic infill for sure on both projects, the 3030 designs that were seen a few months ago is not VDT's best work though, hoping they can refine it a bit before final....
__________________
Post-Modern is Post-Mortem - Deal with it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15514  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:00 PM
jc5680's Avatar
jc5680 jc5680 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago—West Loop
Posts: 957
edit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15515  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:49 PM
Tom Servo's Avatar
Tom Servo Tom Servo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,649


Oh, fuck yeah... This is better than what I remember.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15516  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 5:53 PM
lakeviewer lakeviewer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 52
3030 N Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Actually I'm not sure if I have the address right, but I'm wondering if anybody here knows if the new VDT-designed plan for a Mariano's-anchored retail/residential project for the old Dominick's site in Lakeview is moving forward through the approval process......has their been much unreasonable reaction from NIMBY pressure groups like there has been for the project proposed at the Ihop site? Fantastic infill for sure on both projects, the 3030 designs that were seen a few months ago is not VDT's best work though, hoping they can refine it a bit before final....
3030 was tied up in some legal drama...
"The Alderman’s office has been told by the city law department that the proposed development at 3030 N. Broadway is on hold until the city’s differences with the Davis group have been resolved. Consequently there will NOT be any advisory vote on this project by SELVN until the hold is removed. A representative from the Alderman’s office will be at the March 12 SELVN meeting and if there is additional information available he will provide an update"

But from the minutes of the last SELVN meeting it seems to be moving ahead with a slight height reduction, I heard one floor...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxyo...aHM/edit?pli=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15517  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 6:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 14,701
City Council Approves Infrastructure Trust

^ This may go down in history as a great moment in moving Chicago forward, or a giant blunder for which taxpayers will pay the price for decades
__________________
Stop villainizing market-rate housing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15518  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 8:57 PM
aic4ever aic4ever is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This project just keeps getting worse... at least in the earlier version they were going to save some of the red granite to make a "window" on the upper terrace, which I thought was a fairly clever counterpart to Pereira's design even if the storefronts are to be given over to retailers. Now that's gone, and they've even removed the red granite from behind the Esquire sign because I guess Del Frisco's didn't like the color.

And then they're planning to do hanging planters on the scalloped brick wall? Why bother to even keep the sign?

One of the renderings even shows a fake townhouse facade plastered on the front, apparently since the developers are all too happy to build one if some preppy clothier like Ralph Lauren or Jack Wills or something comes along.
Most of the time those retailers want their own facade on the building as part of the lease agreement. Sprinkles was a coordination nightmare because of this.
__________________
Don't be a left wing zombie!

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15519  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 9:21 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,130
Well, at least the Sprinkles facade turned out very nicely - the dark brick is simple, appropriate for Chicago and even kinda muscular (oddly for a cupcake shop). I don't remember what the building looked like before that, though.

I'd even resign myself to a townhouse facade if it was an individual building... but to paste it onto a larger building that clearly is NOT a townhouse? It's insanely tacky and Disneyish. Fortunately the two westernmost spaces in Esquire have been filled, and it looks like both tenants (Louboutin and Buccellati) have chosen a slick structural glass facade for their spaces.

Can I also say I'm disappointed with Perkins + Will if they've dropped the reddish-orange paint on Jones HS? That paint tied it into the neighborhood by referencing the brick of neighboring buildings. Chicago buildings have been very afraid of color lately....
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15520  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, at least the Sprinkles facade turned out very nicely - the dark brick is simple, appropriate for Chicago and even kinda muscular (oddly for a cupcake shop). I don't remember what the building looked like before that, though.

I'd even resign myself to a townhouse facade if it was an individual building... but to paste it onto a larger building that clearly is NOT a townhouse? It's insanely tacky and Disneyish. Fortunately the two westernmost spaces in Esquire have been filled, and it looks like both tenants (Louboutin and Buccellati) have chosen a slick structural glass facade for their spaces.

Can I also say I'm disappointed with Perkins + Will if they've dropped the reddish-orange paint on Jones HS? That paint tied it into the neighborhood by referencing the brick of neighboring buildings. Chicago buildings have been very afraid of color lately....
The original building was a tan postmodernish building. Nothing all that great. The sprinkles facade was a welcome improvement over the tan monotony in that area. Problem was, they divided this building. The other half is grey painted plywood. I wouldn't mind if the city permitted large banner advertising over these temporary facades. Something needs to be done with that vacant space in the meantime.

I doubt the Esquire facade will have that brick townhouse. I imagine it's a placeholder to emphasize variety. Though I really don't care for it either. Like fashion, Oak Street should be going above and beyond in architecture....and catering to international tastes. I'm sure my neighbors share similar preferences; The street should balance between preserving the existing 19th century building stock alongside ultra-modern design. The last thing I want to see is economical design. The presence of international shoppers is huge. The buildings need to make a statement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.