HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:22 PM

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce new CEO

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce new CEO

The Chamber announced that David Adames, Executive Director, Tourism Hamilton will be their new Chief Executive Officer. He will replace John Dolbec who moved to be President & CEO at TransHub Ontario.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:18 AM

‘Rock star’ to lead chamber of commerce

Meredith MacLeod June 6, 2011

Hamilton’s tourism chief is taking over the city’s biggest business organization.

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, will assume the CEO post at the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce July 11.

Adames was the successful candidate among 40 people who applied for the position, according to a press release from the chamber.

“It’s a great opportunity being offered by the chamber,” Adames said. “The chamber is a very important organization in Hamilton and the Hamilton chamber is the oldest in the country. The chamber movement was started here.”

Adames said it was a difficult decision to leave Tourism Hamilton. He was the first executive director of the arm’s length organization that was founded in 2002. Adames said he’s proud of the record of bringing sports, leisure and event and conference tourism to the city, but says it’s time for a new personal challenge and for someone with a new perspective in the role.

“Part of leadership is knowing when to leave. We’ve done lots of great work and I love the job.”

Adames was seen as a bright light in the city’s management ranks and was tasked with being the point person on several high profile files, including two Commonwealth Games bids and the 2003 world cycling championships. But last fall, he was benched as the quarterback of the troubled Pan Am Games stadium debate that turned into a political quagmire.

And then, in a council session this spring, Adames was put on the hot seat and acknowledged that the organization had not been successful in attracting private sector funding.

At the city, Adames managed a budget of $2.1 million and pulled in a salary of $127,000. In contrast, the chamber, whose budget is about $600,000, has not traditionally paid its CEOs anywhere near that level.

Chamber chair Demetrius Tsafaridis would not discuss Adames’ new salary, but did say the chamber reviewed its remuneration to attract the desired candidates to the post.

“We are moving forward in making sure business is helping to lead the rejuvenation that is going on in Hamilton. We wanted to make sure we picked the candidate who would help us do that. I think we did a pretty good job.”

Adames, 41, a Hamilton native, has built a 20-year career at city hall. Before his tourism appointment, Adames worked for 11 years in the culture and recreation and corporate communications departments.

Adames doesn’t rule out a return to city government but says he’s focused on growing the chamber, responding to members, helping bring new business to the city and meeting the needs of innovative, young ventures sprouting up in Hamilton.

“The challenge for any chamber is to be a dynamic, innovative and relevant organization.”

Stephen Goulding, president of the Tourism Hamilton board, said the loss of Adames is “an easier pill to swallow” because he’s staying in Hamilton.

“David is, in our opinion a rock star. We’re extremely happy for him. He deserves every opportunity that comes his way … He’s a huge asset to the city.”

Goulding will meet with Adames and Tim McCabe, general manager of planning and economic development, to hammer out a transition plan.

City manager Chris Murray called Adames’ departure “a big loss to our organization. David's leadership, professionalism and unwavering support for Hamilton's tourism industry will be greatly missed.”

The chamber’s top post became vacant in March when John Dolbec departed to become president and CEO of a new transportation lobby group, TransHub Ontario.

Dolbec, who ran the chamber for 13 years, described his successor as bright, charming and intelligent.

“I couldn’t imagine a more perfect candidate.”

mmacleod@thespec.com

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:51 AM

bright, charming, intelligent, and what has he actually done? If I led Tourism Hamilton I certainly wouldn't emphasize it in my resume.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
bright, charming, intelligent, and what has he actually done? If I led Tourism Hamilton I certainly wouldn't emphasize it in my resume.
No shit.

Like I said in the other thread where this came up, I would like to see a wider net cast when they fill these positions. It's just same people playing musical chairs, and failing over and over.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've met David a few times, often at Starbucks on Locke and Chedoke rail trail. Jill Stephens and David are highly regarded.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Jill Stephens and David are highly regarded.
That's a given, since he got the job.

Being "highly regarded" is the criteria for leadership positions in Hamilton. One's actual track record, not so much. I fail to see any vision or accomplishment in his 9 years as ED of Tourism Hamilton. I would go so far as to say it is a lousy organization.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:54 PM

this is a hallmark of lazy management - you don't have the skill/ inclination to find good external talent, so you inflate the accomplishments of your internal staff. I'm sure they both won awards at the Christmas party.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:51 PM

He is very much likely taking a significant cut in pay moving from TH to COC, which IMO is rather telling.

Adames rose to the occasion and shone during the highly successful World Cycling Championships in 2003, but since then we have endured two failed Commonwealth bids and the Pan Am debacle, and the luster around him has faded over the years. This past spring, council started taking a closer look at the success rate of TH (specifically the failure to meet private funding goals), which at best has had mediocre results in increasing tourism, sporting and convention business in the city. Now he's moved on before the closer scrutiny has begun, which leaves me a little nervous of what may be lurking there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 7:03 PM

It is interesting (but not astonishing, considering that the Spectator publishes the Chamber's Panorama) that the story glosses over stickier details in its race to the "rock star" tributes:

Quote:
Adames was seen as a bright light in the city’s management ranks and was tasked with being the point person on several high profile files, including two Commonwealth Games bids and the 2003 world cycling championships. But last fall, he was benched as the quarterback of the troubled Pan Am Games stadium debate that turned into a political quagmire.

And then, in a council session this spring, Adames was put on the hot seat and acknowledged that the organization had not been successful in attracting private sector funding.
But setting all of that and the “highly regarded” accolades aside, Boards or Trade and Chambers of Commerce seem to operate best when drawing on the insights of successful private sector executives. In this way, the CoCs are able to supply a critical private sector business perspective distinct and independent from that of municipal government. Mr. Adames’ resume (“a 20-year career at city hall”) is not long on that count, and the “doesn’t rule out a return to city government” mention only complicates the picture.

Then again, the Chamber could use a radical rework, and maybe he’s the guy to do it, the complete opposite of tuna on toast: Chicken salad on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea.

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy