HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Grand in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 4:07 PM

I think Stinson's biggest obstacle with Hamilton development has been his timing.

He started at the worst possible time here right when the economy tanked and it was near impossible to obtain financing for anything, never mind the trailblazing condo developments in Hamilton at that time.

Good on him for sticking it out, with all that risk.

I hope the more recent momentum and improving economy helps him succeed with the Stinson School and Hamilton Grand.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 1:33 AM

Stinson's issues predate his flight to Hamilton and the financial crash.

As has been said on here ad nauseum, he's got no money and nobody trusts him. And frankly, his ideas do very little for me: the school's a fine concept; the Hamilton Grand's weird at best; and the 100 storey Connaught thing, well...

His Toronto projects were pretty good, though again, he scurried out of that city with his turtleneck pulled well up over his face.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:10 PM

Did anyone notice in this piece about in the description for the Hamilton Grand at bottom: Anyone have background on this change? Don't really see the connection....

WHO: J. Lockwood Chrysler (Oakville) - Harry Stinson was originally involved

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/47...ilton-skyline/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
Did anyone notice in this piece about in the description for the Hamilton Grand at bottom: Anyone have background on this change? Don't really see the connection....

WHO: J. Lockwood Chrysler (Oakville) - Harry Stinson was originally involved

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/47...ilton-skyline/
Yeah I was wondering what that was all about- hopefully someone can finally make something out of that sand pit- its quite an eyesore for downtown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:33 PM

I've been waiting ages for something to happen on that lot, as well as the one at Main and Hughson. That stretch of Main is patchy, to say the least.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 1:48 PM

I emailed the writer of the spec article- Lisa Carr, to see if she had any additional information about J.Lockwood Chrysler's involvement.

She advised " I have little information except that the project is apparently on hold- I have that from more than Mr.Stinson. Lisa"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Changing the plan to a more traditional condo arrangement might be the smart thing to do. The mini-condo/rental/hotel concept seemed like a stretch, or at least something Hamilton is not ready for yet.

Though with a new name attached to the development perhaps something completely different could happen, in terms of the design or the type of building (presuming there's still a plan to even construct one)

Note that there's a J. Lockwood Chrysler auto dealership in Oakville. Jay Lockwood is the owner - here's more about him from an Inside Halton story. Is he into other types of developments, or is this his first foray? It's kind of odd that The Spec would use the dealership name and not the individual, unless he's using he dealership as the business entity holding the property.

That plot of land seems kind of small for a new car dealer (even if it were to be selling Fiats )

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:30 AM

Something like this would be my dream for that lot. Maybe add another 3-5 stories though.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:49 AM

As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood), I can't see a dealership going in there...unless of course it was a boutique lot....say for Fiats....attracting the condo buyers of downtown. That said...dealership on the mountain does sell Fiats already. A car lot (not ideal) could be much less prohibitive than remediation of the lot.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood), I can't see a dealership going in there...unless of course it was a boutique lot....say for Fiats....attracting the condo buyers of downtown. That said...dealership on the mountain does sell Fiats already. A car lot (not ideal) could be much less prohibitive than remediation of the lot.
I know wrong page, but that former Acura lot would have to be a high potential spot for a condo tower, with Mac, the Innovation Centre, hwy, and on Main.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I don't see it happening either, I just found it interesting that an auto dealer owner is involved now. But you never know... they could pick up that plaza next door and use both properties despite Bowen St. splitting them.

When I saw J. Lockwood Chrysler noted in the Spec's interactive map I thought it was a name and didn't connect it to car sales, not until looking it up.

There used to be a number of new car dealers downtown - Bay King, HMP, the Chevrolet dealer on Cannon, Acura of Hamilton...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:27 PM

Quote:
As most car lot's are now on the upper mountain (Acura just relocated from Main at Longwood)...
I managed to miss this somehow, though I spend a lot of time around this intersection. Thanks for this piece of information!

That makes two lots at Main at Longwood now unused, unless something is slated to take over the Acura dealership.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
I know wrong page, but that former Acura lot would have to be a high potential spot for a condo tower, with Mac, the Innovation Centre, hwy, and on Main.
I wonder if something is already afoot because shortly after that Acura dealership closed, road crews annexed the turning lane at Main and Bond and began making significant upgrades to the water/wastewater infrastructure. The City's standard MO is tackling infrastructure and resurfacing in one fell swoop -- often invoked as an explanation for inaction – so this is a notable departure from the script. (They may also just be taking advantage of the dealership closure to address infrastructure enhancements needed to accommodate long-range demand and/or residential intensification at Main and Longwood.)

Grand-wise, the weedland scrub lot is looking lush after the summer rains. Stands around three feet tall in places.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Nobody trusts Stinson with their money.

It's unfortunate, because he has some great ideas and is a real Hamilton booster. But speaking for myself, I support his ideas and wish him the best, but I wouldn't go as far as putting up my hard earned money for one of his projects.
As someone who owns, lives in Stinson school - it is very true. Nothing is ever Harry's fault despite long list of issues - he loves the blame game I love the building and it is a good place to live but it could have been great it just had terrible execution, not to mention 2.5 years behind schedule and still not done.

Most of owners talk n email or in a dedicate Facebook group, not one I know of is investing in his next project and that should tell you something.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:17 AM

Just a thought.

*An excerpt from an article, which leads me to believe that this is reason or partial reason this site has not moved an inch. Just a thought.
-Developer Harry Stinson actually had to set the main floor of his planned Hamilton Grand hotel condo at Main and John back from the street because Public Works wants the option to widen Main Street beyond the five lanes it already consumes. You can't make this stuff up.

Here's the article in which the excerpt came from : http://raisethehammer.org/article/1951

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:30 AM

Ya that was talked about a couple years back. I dont think that was the main reason thr project never went ahead though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:05 PM

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/...street-shame-/

Quote:
But first, Mr. Stinson, what about Main and John? Everybody thinks that corner is your mess.

He says he was never the owner, just the public face. The corner cycled through three backers. Each time the plans changed, each time they then collapsed.
Quote:
...at Main and John, will someone ever get the game underway?

Next at bat looks to be a guy named Pete Waters of the Rockwater Group, a construction outfit in Waterloo.

Waters says he has absolutely nothing to declare right now. Maybe next month.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

WILSON: Who’s to blame for this Main Street shame?

http://www.thespec.com/living-story/...street-shame-/

A dozen years ago this month, they shut down Bridge's Shell at Main and John.

Al Bridge had flown the Shell flag in downtown Hamilton for 63 years.

But stations where they pumped your gas and fixed your car had fallen from favour. Business was down and Al and son Martin knew the end was near.

Spectator writer Mary K. Nolan went down to document the farewell. Martin told her he was just going across the street, putting on a jacket and tie and joining the support staff at the courthouse.

"Every time I go to work, I'll pass this place," he said then. "I worry about it being all overgrown and abandoned."

Take a look at that corner today. In the very heart of a core that shows every sign of coming back, the site that was Bridge's Shell is downtown's shame. Who knew weeds could grow so high? Some are now like trees.

What happened here? Who can we blame? Could it be Harry Stinson, the Toronto developer who decided a decade or so ago to make Hamilton home?

One day in the spring of 2009, 200 people gathered at the Art Galley of Hamilton to see Stinson unveil a project he called the Hamilton Grand. It would be a $25-million project, he said, a 13-storey hotel-condo.

But nothing happened at Main and John. Signs went up, signs came down, fences collapsed, garbage blew in, weeds went wild.

So we need to talk to Stinson. We know we'll find him at work. He does 12- to 14-hour days, seven days a week.

As of last month, his office is in the enormous house of history that is Cannon Knitting Mills. Parked outside is his long-as-a-boat 1978 Lincoln Town Car. This man always thinks big.

Stinson bought this pre-Confederation property at Cannon and Mary for $3 million a few months ago and his dreams for the place have no bounds.

But first, Mr. Stinson, what about Main and John? Everybody thinks that corner is your mess.

"True," he says. "City Hall thinks it. The media thinks it. But it's not me."

He says he was never the owner, just the public face. The corner cycled through three backers. Each time the plans changed, each time they then collapsed.

Stinson's travels around town take him past the jungle that was to be the Grand.

How does it feel to see it today?

"Angry and frustrated … I have boxes full of mouldering files — sales agreements, designs, environmental reports … I had to give back deposits three times. That's embarrassing and exhausting, five years of looking like an idiot."

Money is always part of the problem. But Stinson says it was also lack of vision.

"It's difficult to get financial partners to buy into ideas. They want a formula."

Stinson, 63, says he's finally learned a lesson. From here on, no more partners.

"I figure I have 30 years of working life left," he says.

He does the Wentworth stairs four times daily, has a resting heart rate of 42, weighs 124 pounds with zero fat.

The Stinson school project, a brave and difficult condo conversion, is complete. His Gibson school project is 60 per cent sold.

But it is the knitting mill that stokes his fires these days. He runs while conducting a tour, charging up old stairs, leaping across small lakes on the roof. He sees a hotel, apartments, a restaurant, a distillery, event space, a music club in the cavernous boiler room.

"This is going to be a home run," he promises.

And at Main and John, will someone ever get the game underway?

Next at bat looks to be a guy named Pete Waters of the Rockwater Group, a construction outfit in Waterloo.

Waters says he has absolutely nothing to declare right now. Maybe next month.

While we're waiting, somebody should haul out a Weed Whacker.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:24 PM

I'm sure Pete Waters of the Rockwater Group was quite content with people not knowing that is his vacant lot. It will be interesting to see if it switches hands in the near future.

Saigon House is 1.35 million so this lot will probably be less than that.

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Re...Ontario-L8N2B8

Also they are asking 4 million for that shack at King and Caroline

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Re...L8P1A6-Central

And Harry if you are reading this, 124 pounds is not heavy enough for an adult male unless they are 3 feet tall.

Last edited by eatboots; Sep 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 11:14 PM
Hammer'd

I can attest to the fact that Harry is a health nut, emphasis on the nut part. He ran past me on Stinson at like 4am many years ago when the school project was still being done. Also saw him running out of a bank downtown a few weeks ago driving a minivan with the license "CONDOKING" or something ridiculous.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton