HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Le 22 Rue Eddy in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Gatineau Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 11:15 AM

The crane went up early this morning.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mooderator

Yep. Saw it yesterday afteroon coming back from the Laurentians. it's about half the height of Les Terrasses.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:47 PM

It will be so cool to see this, and the other planned buildings going up in the Hull District, when observed from almost everywhere...they will certainly look nice when lit up at night too...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:23 AM

I'd really like to see downtown Hull resurge and really come into its own. in addition to the government buildings and (hopefully) Cartier-Wellington, i'd love to see a half dozen or more smaller, montreal-style infill developments sprout from the parking lots and give definition to some empty street corners. Montcalm by the river would be a great place if you revitalize the sidewalk/street and fill in the two or three big empty lots with something nice. The price has to be right, and has to be able to lure some over from the Ottawa side. I don't think Hull has the same number of screeching NIMBYs as Ottawa who will chain themselves to a 'heritage' parking lot to save it from being 'ruined'.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:31 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I'd really like to see downtown Hull resurge and really come into its own. in addition to the government buildings and (hopefully) Cartier-Wellington, i'd love to see a half dozen or more smaller, montreal-style infill developments sprout from the parking lots and give definition to some empty street corners. Montcalm by the river would be a great place if you revitalize the sidewalk/street and fill in the two or three big empty lots with something nice. The price has to be right, and has to be able to lure some over from the Ottawa side. I don't think Hull has the same number of screeching NIMBYs as Ottawa who will chain themselves to a 'heritage' parking lot to save it from being 'ruined'.
Well looks what's going with the mayor's arena project, getting hammered by NIMBY's fearing it would remove all those terribly ugly looking buildings (in particular one furniture store that has a horrendous looking rear that would surround the arena site (note as I said in that thread it's not my favorite location for the arena though).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I wish for the same thing. It's sad what the feds have done to downtown Hull. Still, it survives with great places such Les 4 Jeudis. I believe it has the potential to be a truly wonderful part of the city. The new fed buildings are not overbearing which is a plus. A new arena would greatly increase its "entertainment quotient".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

We are making some modest progress in the right direction. I was at Les Brasseurs du Temps recently on a random Sunday night and was quite surprised that the place was almost packed!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:08 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We are making some modest progress in the right direction. I was at Les Brasseurs du Temps recently on a random Sunday night and was quite surprised that the place was almost packed!
That place is great, I tried it about a month ago. We need more draws like this downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:51 AM

Yes, I need to try this new place, which in english I believe means 'hot brassieres'
For a while now I've had a spiteful fantasy where the tallest residential building (or a mix of commercial and residential) is built in downtown Hull, and towers over Ottawa, prompting visitors to Ottawa to look at the capital's flat skyline in puzzlement, while Ottawa height-fearers huff and puff in consternation. It wouldn't be a soulless monolith like portage and terraces, but a really tall, slender, modern skyscraper.
Is that weird?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I need to try this new place, which in english I believe means 'hot brassieres'
For a while now I've had a spiteful fantasy where the tallest residential building (or a mix of commercial and residential) is built in downtown Hull, and towers over Ottawa, prompting visitors to Ottawa to look at the capital's flat skyline in puzzlement, while Ottawa height-fearers huff and puff in consternation. It wouldn't be a soulless monolith like portage and terraces, but a really tall, slender, modern skyscraper.
Is that weird?
I would not say the skyline is flat aslo taller or smaller thats not a key in no way to attract people you don't have people saying wow we really need to go to toronto not because its a great city not because we may want to do something there but to see the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I would not say the skyline is flat aslo taller or smaller thats not a key in no way to attract people you don't have people saying wow we really need to go to toronto not because its a great city not because we may want to do something there but to see the skyline.
I agree. I think a skyline sets a tone at a more subconscious level. I don't think 40 story buildings suit Ottawa / Hull very well. But some taller structures do create a general feeling and set an impression on visitors and those who live there.

I've been the the capital of Australia, they have something like a 15 story restriction. It feels very meh. Its a great town, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't set a great tone to a visitor.

With regards to Hull, I personally think its pretty nice at night.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-133 View Post
I agree. I think a skyline sets a tone at a more subconscious level. I don't think 40 story buildings suit Ottawa / Hull very well. But some taller structures do create a general feeling and set an impression on visitors and those who live there.

I've been the the capital of Australia, they have something like a 15 story restriction. It feels very meh. Its a great town, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't set a great tone to a visitor.

With regards to Hull, I personally think its pretty nice at night.
No question some taller buildings would ne nice and were going that way with the tribica and nepean towner etc my point is people don't visit a city just for the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
No question some taller buildings would ne nice and were going that way with the tribica and nepean towner etc my point is people don't visit a city just for the skyline.
Ya - I completely agree. I'm just saying that it does have an impact on people's impressions of the city. And in my case in visiting Canberra, my openness to returning.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 11:24 AM
Mooderator

27 march 2011

Webcam shot of crane this morning -

source: http://www.broccolini.com/22%20eddy.html

I'm guessing the Bank Hotel is going to stay open for the duration of the construction?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 12:21 PM

The brick building in the foreground of the render, is that being built too? To fit in with other architecture?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Yup, some more residential projects would go a long way to making it more lively. With all of the federal buildings you hate to see every one taking off around 5.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 5:26 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
The brick building in the foreground of the render, is that being built too? To fit in with other architecture?
Yep. Supposed to be nod to what was previously there. Sort of like what they did with 90 George facing Rideau St.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 6:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm guessing the Bank Hotel is going to stay open for the duration of the construction?
I am pretty sure the Bank Hotel closed for good around the time they started construction on the site.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:55 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am pretty sure the Bank Hotel closed for good around the time they started construction on the site.
Really? I wonder why they went to all the trouble to leave it as it was without any concessions? Is it vacant right now?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 1:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Really? I wonder why they went to all the trouble to leave it as it was without any concessions? Is it vacant right now?
Don't want to talk through my hat but I am pretty sure it is vacant and has been since the construction started.

It was retained because the building has protected heritage status. I believe the façade was actually completely restored with municipal or provincial money maybe a decade or so ago.

There used to be a decent-looking building right next to it on the corner of Portage and Eddy (until 1995):

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhib...w_78_02f.shtml

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa