HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 7:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Redistribution of Federal ridings

Here's a link to the new proposed federal ridings....

http://www.redecoupage-federal-redis...nt=home&lang=e

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 8:34 PM
User Registered

Hmm all I'm finding is text and maps. Is there a place where I can find a list of the new (proposed) ridings?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 8:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

At the top look for your province.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 9:14 PM
Closed account

How exactly do they determine the changes to ridings? Looking at KW, Kitchener is now divided into three ridings, two of which are largely rural.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
How exactly do they determine the changes to ridings? Looking at KW, Kitchener is now divided into three ridings, two of which are largely rural.
A group is set up to examine them. I believe there's information on the page about how the group is established and who they are.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
That is called cracking. It ensures that one side gets to control the voice and the other side is left out.

In Thunder Bay's case, both ridings are 70% urban and 30% rural, so the left-leaning urban area more than cancels out the centre-left leaning rural area. In Saskatchewan, both cities are split into four and each one give the rural surroundings a slight edge over the urban core.

It's our version of gerrymandering.

OMG I just accidentally moved Mississauga Centre to Milton. I guess that is so that you can move the gigantic labels out of the way..

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

As well as a new riding in Hamilton, the commission has recommended two additional districts in Brampton, one in the Cambridge-Kitchener area, two each in Durham, Markham and Toronto, and one each in Mississauga, Oakville, Ottawa, Simcoe-Barrie and York.

http://m.thespec.com/article/788488-...g-for-hamilton

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I find federal politics so depressing.

It's difficult to live in a province that was independent until 1934, didn't join Canada until 1949, and have - and, based on population, deserve - such a pathetically small voice federally.

I try to get attached and be involved but it just seems to matter so little so I tend to stay with provincial politics and just support whichever left-wing party is most likely to win federally.

The riding changes don't seem to impact St. John's much, really.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 1:18 AM
I am a typical

I've gotten really tired of the federal politics as well. Northern Ontario is over-represented but it has done very little good for us, except in the past few years when the governing parties have seen an opportunity to get an extra seat out of us. I think I would have a better chance at making a difference at the local level.

None of Northern Ontario's riding boundaries change much, except for a small part of Thunder Bay-Rainy River moving into Kenora, and the boundary for Thunder Bay-Superior North re-claiming Manitouwadge, White River and area. Those communities have a better connection to Thunder Bay than Sault Ste. Marie and petitioned for the change.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 1:43 AM
User Registered

Southwestern Ontario won't change much. One new riding in the Kitchener Area, the rest left in the dust as usual.

I was hoping London, Windsor or Chatham would get something but nope.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 2:02 AM
gettin' rich!

Toronto-GTA is getting 11 new ridings!

Nice.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 2:43 AM

my riding (bev oda's riding believe it or not) is switching up. our current riding has a small chance of going liberal as it has 3 towns of 10-15 thousand people, with a heavy liberal presence in the towns. but the new ridings are changing it so I will now be linked with northern Halliburton, meaning that this will basically become a solid conservative riding 100% of the time. (to my disappointment)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 3:25 AM

It's kinda ridiculous that Malton is going to be split in two. Cooksville split between three ridings. Downtown Brampton split between three ridings...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That is called cracking. It ensures that one side gets to control the voice and the other side is left out.
In Saskatchewan, both cities are split into four and each one give the rural surroundings a slight edge over the urban core.

It's our version of gerrymandering.
For Saskatchewan it is a major shift. Currently the ridings in the cities all have large rural areas attached to them. I don't have a good feeling for what the impact will be of having purely urban ridings.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 7:32 PM

Looks like the feds have given more seats to Newfoundland for the Liberal party to take. I think it's a good idea to break up the ridings in to smaller areas considering the large scale of Burin-Ramea-St. Georges. There's no way the needs of the people in places like Stephenville mirror the needs of people in Seal Cove.

However, it will do little overall to stimulate interest in the federal elections. How we vote has no real meaning on how any election will pan out anyway.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 7:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The proposed changes do make more sense than the existing ridings (and yes, Burin-Ramea-St. George's is especially hilarious).

I think the problem with mapping ridings in Newfoundland is that, while the rural population is so small, their villages and towns are among the oldest in North America.

Burin and St. George's, for example, have had centuries to develop along completely different lines. One is a formerly important town, struggling with a collapsed fishery, and relying on Marystown's shipbuilding industry to stay alive at all right now; the other has always had a very small population and been primarily concerned with agriculture.

And, most importantly, the people don't feel connected.

Take the proposed ridings, for example:

Bay D'Espoir-Central-Notre Dame, for example. Harbour Breton has FAR more in common with Grand Bank in the neighbouring Bonavista-Burin-Trinity riding than it does with Grand Falls-Windsor, the largest community in its own riding.

Bonavista and Trinity have far more in common with the communities in the Avalon riding than they do with the Burin Peninsula, which accounts for half of their riding.

And, come on... Port-aux-Basques and St. Anthony in the same riding?

It's necessary to have these huge districts because the population is so small but... wow... brutal.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Toronto-GTA is getting 11 new ridings!

Nice.
Meanwhile NB is left with only 10 ridings for the whole province!

Locally, because of population growth in greater Moncton, the city of Dieppe is being hived off and given to the riding of Beausejour. The Moncton riding will be renamed from Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview to just Moncton/Riverview.

This is causing some consternation to the francophone population in Moncton, because suddenly their represention in the riding will fall from about 30% to less than 20%.

Curiously, about 1/3 of Riverview will be included in a riding that extends the length of Albert County to also include Quispamsis (which is in suburban Saint John). This riding will be truly schizophrenic!!!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:44 PM

Alberta has all the oil, we should have all the power

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:50 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
For Saskatchewan it is a major shift. Currently the ridings in the cities all have large rural areas attached to them. I don't have a good feeling for what the impact will be of having purely urban ridings.
For Regina, one riding likely goes NDP (Urban Riding), one will probably stay Conservative (Rural-Urban), and Ralph Goodale(Urban) will probably continue to win his seat for the Liberals until he retires.

And I think with Saskatoon, you might have 1 or 2 seats going to the NDP with the Conservatives maintaining either 1 or 2. Some of them seem pretty close.

You can also really see in these maps how including the huge rural areas with the urban really drowns out the left-leaning urban vote.

Source of the maps

Last edited by Nathan; Aug 29, 2012 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Broken link code

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Meanwhile NB is left with only 10 ridings for the whole province!
Northern Ontario has just as many people and only gets 9 ridings.

They aren't as bad as Northern Ontario, where the agricultural communities are Fort Frances and Emo are lumped in with resource depended communities with dying economies like Sioux Lookout and Dryden and also with mining boom towns like Red Lake and Pickle Lake and also with severely impoverished aboriginal communities like Pikangikum and Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug. All of this is represented by a relatively pro-native male nurse in the Conservative Party.

North Eastern Ontario's ridings have changed a bit but I don't think it will have much of an impact on results.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada