HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 10:09 PM

Post Gulf business leaders call for tougher green laws

Business leaders across the Gulf have called for a crackdown on unsustainable practices and the introduction of new environmental laws, according to a survey published today by MEED. The MEED sustainable business survey 2007 examined industry attitudes to climate change. It found 84% of respondents think a law is required to force businesses to operate in an environmentally sustainable manner, and that 99% believe businesses have an obligation to behave in a sustainable way.
Waste management, reducing energy usage, pollution control and the use of sustainable building materials are among the areas that would benefit from tighter regulation, the survey found.Most businesses said new laws should be strictly enforced to ensure they don't suffer financial disadvantage against rivals who opt out of sustainable practices. 94% of respondents think environmental concerns will beome more important to businesses in the future, while 91% said governments across the region should introduce incentives such as free recycling schemes and preferential treatment in government tenders for environmentally clean firms. The survey also revealed a desire for import tax reductions on low-emission vehicle engines, an increase in landfill tax, and the introduction of a carbon tax on petrol and gas. 88 per cent of respondents said they would back the introduction of a carbon trading emissions system.Sean Brierley, Editor-In-Chief of MEED said “Sustainability is becoming an increasingly significant concern in the Gulf with governments and businesses making a notable attempt to decrease the region's carbon footprint.”The research highlights how far environmental issues have risen up the corporate agenda in recent years, he added. However, the survey shows that “the public will only take sustainability on board if the government forces the issue,” he said. Source

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 5:51 PM
Hazza!

Wow, i wonder if there was much skew in who responded to this survey - those numbers seem alot higher than I would have imagined. Also I guess its easy to say your are in favor of things over the phone. Great to see that kind of support though. Hope something can come out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
99% believe businesses have an obligation to behave in a sustainable way.
Now if only we can get businesses to think the same things, we will be set!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 8:05 PM

Talking

Well, what can I say?
I am in Dubai.........

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 3:36 AM

I'm still waiting for some forumers to rant about how this is somehow tied to aiding the terroris, making the Saudi fat cats richer, and perhaps Bush as well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 5:50 PM

you can randomly look at the dubai threads for more jealousy/paranoia/condescension. it's like a hobby for some people. as if the toronto vs. chicago vs. new york vs. LA boosterism wasn't dumb enough.

for skyscraper buffs, there sure are a lot of us who equate dubai's tall buildings with albert speer's grand designs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture