HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:32 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Tripods

What tripod do you use, how is the build quality, how did you come about it, etc?

Having just spent about two weeks searching for a lightweight tripod, I gotta say that I was stunned at the price points. While there are many entries in the under-$80 price range, build quality here seems especially low. I initially purchased something in this bracket and it promptly fractured at the release point - fortunately, I was able to hold onto the camera before it released.

Moving up a few notches, there are some excellent, sturdy, lightweight entries at or above $200 - but these don't generally include the head, which can double the dollar outlay and move the entire package into a guilt-inducing price point that equals or exceeds the cost of an entry-level DSLR w/kit lens.

My solution: I was able to secure a discontinued demo Gitzo Basalt g1097 from a local retailer at a very good discount. The unit collapses to just over a foot in length and is extremely sturdy & light. So now I am a happy camper and can sleep at night without feeling like a total douche for blowing a big stack of Benjamins on peripheries.

But I'm sure that my experience is not unique. What do you use, how do you use it, how happy are you with it, what were your criteria in selecting it, etc?

Last edited by wrab; Feb 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:01 AM

I, too, was surprised (unpleasantly) at the price points when I bought my tripod about a year and a half ago. I ended up going with a Giottos MT 9242 for $93 from Central Camera on Wabash. I also sprang for a Manfrotto mounting head for a little over $50, bringing the total with tax for the complete setup to ~$150. Certainly not inexpensive, but a low to average amount (so I was told) for what these things cost. I suppose my criteria were ill-defined if not non-existent when I went in to purchase one--I just knew that I would need one for night photography and I trusted the salesperson to help me choose one for below $100 (so I guess the best tripod for that price was the purchase objective).

The tripod is great; it's pretty compact (retracts/collapses down to about 1.5 ft.) and lightweight, and the quality is great (solid hardware and levers for all of the lengthening and positioning). I couldn't justify spending upwards of $150 to go for a carbon composite model; mine is aluminum construction with a tough enamel/hammered-paint coating. It extends to a little over 5 ft. fully telescoped. It came with a detachable carrying strap, and it also came with a non-bulky padded bag with shoulder strap. The mounting head that I got is great; it has a quick and easy pivoting head that allows for a wide array of available angles for the camera to be positioned from. Also, it comes with a quick-release mounting plate that stays screwed in to the camera that allows me to easily go from hand-held to tripod shooting with just the release of one lever--no need to thread and re-thread over and over again.

In all honesty, though, I use the tripod rarely since most of the shooting that I do is usually not on dedicated photography trips and I don't really want to carry one around with me all the time. I bought a miniature tripod for $18 from the same place that fits in my back pocket, weighs nothing, has amazingly solid pieces and components, and has a pivoting-ball mount that allows for the same flexibility that my $50 mounting head allows for. An amazing piece of equipment that now I absolutely couldn't do without (before I was stuffing matchbooks under a camera precariously placed on fire hydrants, street lamp utility boxes, etc.), and the price can't be beat.

With this I don't have to worry about collapsing/telescoping over and over again when I move to new locales, and it's invaluable for CTA stations where tripods are outlawed because it's very inconspicuous. The best $18 I have ever spent. Seriously.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:44 AM
Meh

I got a cheaper Quantaray about 6 years ago for Christmas. The head snapped off at the swivel one day. I tried gluing it back on until I got another one, but it was futile. I have another Quantaray now that I've had about 2 years and it's been great. Again, it was a gift. I think it was about 60 bucks. So far so good with it. I put it through a lot too, strapping it onto the straddle bar on my bicycle with bungee cords, and riding 10 to 20 miles with it.

I've gotten quick with it, being able to quickly unstrap it and set it up for pictures while I'm on my bike. I'd like to get a GorillaPod eventually. I'd imagine it would be useful in wrapping around my handlebars for a quick shot.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 8:50 AM
Oak City

I have a very cheap Cannon tripod. It is a real POS and is beat to hell, but it gets the job done on the rare occasions I need a tripod. I honestly don't have any use for anything better. What I would love to get would a Gorilla pod or equivalent.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 5:12 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Hmm... those GorillaPod's can god SLR's? I'd be too scared to use it one my bike or anything else for that matter!

Anyways, I have a Quantaray QSX 8500. It's pretty nice, and it only cost 60 bucks. I had a Manfrotto at first but the chemistry between us wasn't enough to keep us together... Anyways, my Quantaray extends to 61.8 inches, it weights 3.8 lb, claims to hold up to 11 lb, has round rubby feet with retractable spike tips for outdoors, and closes to 23.2 inches.

Anyways, I couldn't find any pictures online that are big enough so I just took one. Cat comes separately.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:43 PM
Watchin em grow

I have a Velbon 450 but I am currently missing the quick connect for it and thus it does not get used. I do however have one of those mini tripods. They are good for the occasional long exposure shot.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:10 PM
arf

Velbon ULTRA LUX i F

It was about $130US when I bought it. I wish it had a ball head, but that's about it. It can shoot reasonably low to the ground which I like a lot. A bit on the heavy side, but overall I'd give it a decent rating.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:50 PM
tilted & shifted

My first tripod wasn't a tripod at all, but rather a hard cover copy of War and Peace. After breaking various pieces on a few Quantarays ($75 ish), I bought a Tiltall TT10 Maxi for around $200.00.

Advantages: Inexpensive price relative to build quality, sturdy, great panning capabilities.

Disadvantages: Legs can be somewhat of a pain to extend; on the hefty side for extended night excursions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography