HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:36 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
It does not improve the site.
Neither does making excuses for bad developments or praising bad architecture as good.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:38 AM

I still prefer it to the Ritz Carlton in Toronto. You should see all the spandrel glass shit popping up in Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 3:22 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

I'm not going to try arguing quality over building materials or anything like that, but I will take a position coming from a regular guy who loves his city and values its architectural heritage.

There is not ONE good LaGrange designed building in this city. NOT ONE. And this building is probably the crowning touch on the giant pile of shit he called an architecture firm. I for one am glad his firm tanked...although this news of him joining VOA scares the living shit out of me. (and I don't mean the baby-shit yellow kind that Nowhereman mentioned a few posts back)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:40 AM
dream fast

10-16

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 4:57 AM

Poor Farwell building. Comes back with this beautiful facade...only to house parking. How dignified....

Though this building will be a boost in density on the Mag. Mile, that doesn't mean more density is better. I hope people see the benefits of a mixture of different building heights and sizes. The two buildings that were replaced may have not been all that significant but they had some human scale, were interesting, and contributed to Michigan Ave's character. I feel this building will just disappear into the postmodern fabric of the area.

As for the VE'd crown sans stained glass....Hayward has got the answer!

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 1:55 PM

Doesn't anyone own some colored markers?

I truly don't get it. How much money could they possibly have saved by replacing the colored glass with translucent glass??? I mean, if I were an owner I'd be tempted to volunteer to go up there and paint something myself -- or to donate the extra $60 it would cost to at least backdrop the glass with something that makes it *look* colored.

The way it looks now seems almost like they're disguising parking on the top floors -- which I actually wouldn't put past Lucien Lagrange.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 2:51 PM
BANNED

^^^ I'm not certain that I don't prefer this to colored glass as I'm sure LaGrange would have made sure it would be horribly tacky. It looks like this is translucent glass that will be lit up with LED lights at night, which could be kinda cool.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:07 PM
dream fast

By day, I much prefer the translucent glass over the multicolored glass panels shown in the original rendering. By night, if they glow with color, fine... IMO.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:43 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Neither does making excuses for bad developments or praising bad architecture as good.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that I have commented on my position of the architecture of this or any other of the LaGrange projects. I have a vested interest in these structures due to the fact that I work in the precast industry. I am curious of what producers in other areas of the country are doing. I look at these buildings in far more detail then most probably do.

One of the most irritating things is the perpetual comments that precast is ‘cheap’. It will make you probably cringe to know that in general, precast is actually a premium construction product based on its durability, speed of construction, virtually unlimited shapes, color and texture. In comparison for a structure like this, EFIS on a steel frame would be considered ‘cheap’ construction. Sometimes I am just compelled prevent the misinformation of general construction practices.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:20 PM
dream fast

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 8:33 PM
BANNED

^^^ Brian, See the post directly above me for an example of "premium" construction products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that I have commented on my position of the architecture of this or any other of the LaGrange projects. I have a vested interest in these structures due to the fact that I work in the precast industry. I am curious of what producers in other areas of the country are doing. I look at these buildings in far more detail then most probably do.
Then why are you telling us not to comment on the architectural and philosophical emptiness of this project?

Quote:
One of the most irritating things is the perpetual comments that precast is ‘cheap’. It will make you probably cringe to know that in general, precast is actually a premium construction product based on its durability, speed of construction, virtually unlimited shapes, color and texture. In comparison for a structure like this, EFIS on a steel frame would be considered ‘cheap’ construction. Sometimes I am just compelled prevent the misinformation of general construction practices.
I don't think anyone here was complaining that Precast is a cheap or crappy material. I think everyone was complaining about how it is used and how, in this setting, it won't age well in comparison to the materials they are aping with it.

I'm pretty sure that EFIS is banned in Chicago and therefore couldn't even be used here. I've never seen it on anything more than cover-up facades of one story retail spaces and even that might not have been EFIS, but rather a similar looking material.

You are always so concerned that we are ripping on precast, except it only comes up in the LaGrange threads because he abuses it and makes the ugliest and most philosophically void structures out of it.

Yet you ignore the praise that precast has received in other Chicago threads like the beautiful, charcoal grey, precast that they have chosen for the Roosevelt University Dorm tower. Just about everyone in that thread has been drooling over it. THAT is how precast should be used from an architectural pattern. It should express its inherent properties, not be used to mimick other materials. I love how the RU Dorm has a pattern of tiny square insets contained within the larger grid of the panels themselves. This celebrates the fact that it is a wall of large panels while at the same time adding interesting texture and detail. Compare this to the poorly hidden joints on LaGranges buildings where it is quite obvious they are large panels, yet the architect chooses to try to hide it. That's not to mention the fact that the caulk used to seal the joints will likely age differently than the precast itself and only further highlight the fact that these structures are essentially giant playmobile houses made of huge sections snapped together. If that happens on the RU Dorm, it will only make it look better and further highlight the geometric nature of the facade.

So you see, no one has a problem with precast, we have a problem with it being used inappropriately with gross colors in bad architecture. I don't see how you can't find the teal insets on this building repulsive. Teal is a color that has never aged well or looked good. I hate teal precast not because it's precast, but because it's fugly and will probably look like shit in 20 years as the color becomes streaked or faded. The building is cheap, not the precast (though it is in comparison to raw stone).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 11:46 PM

Plain and simple, I'm going to guess Lagrange just likes the material. At the same time, it's probably a low-cost and fast construction solution for the look he wants to achieve. We know there's an endless list of materials out there that could have gone up without breaking the budget. Heck we build public and low income housing with limestone and brick, requiring traditional lay-up labor. Personally, I'd opt for a different material, but I know precast has its place

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:22 AM
dream fast

10-16

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 1:39 PM

Oct 20

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:59 AM
dream fast

10-25

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
10-25

This reminds me of the same quality as New York, New York in Vegas. I don't mean that in a good way. I was way too optimistic about this one through its construction, but now I can see I was off base on my expectations.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:22 AM

Here's a photo I took nearly 2 years ago. Weird looking at this back in time

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
This reminds me of the same quality as New York, New York in Vegas. I don't mean that in a good way. I was way too optimistic about this one through its construction, but now I can see I was off base on my expectations.
You know that made me laugh. I have a neighbor....really nice guy.....but I keep on asking if he and his wife would join me and my wife in NYC for a long weekend....his retort...is 'I've been to Vegas I've already been to New York.'

I just shake my head. No accounting for taste.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
You see, I've been momentarily optimistic with every LaGrange that I've watched get built, but then I am inevitably disappointed as "oh, this could turn out OK" becomes "OMG what is that?" when some stupid feature completely ruins any hope of the building being less than an atrocity. For the Elysian it was the choice to go with cheap looking white window frames that make it look like something out of the Home Depot catalog. Then came the fez cap. With this one it was the parking floors that don't even line up with the windows and the various parts of the facade where they just moved part of the design because they were too lazy to figure out a way to make it look good.

I'm in the optimistic stage right now with Lincoln Park 2025 or whatever it's called. I actually think it is kinda handsome right now, blank backside and all. But I'm sure there is some atrocity that LaGrange has in store for us that will ruin it all. I actually kinda like the way the precast is being used on that building with the different colors and higher than normal attention to detail.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
There is not ONE good LaGrange designed building in this city. NOT ONE. And this building is probably the crowning touch on the giant pile of shit he called an architecture firm. I for one am glad his firm tanked...although this news of him joining VOA scares the living shit out of me. (and I don't mean the baby-shit yellow kind that Nowhereman mentioned a few posts back)
I wouldn't go that far. He designed several attractive Modernist towers around the Ohio bridge. There was a rumor that he fired the designers responsible for those, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive