HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:43 AM

Wow I missed a lot today.

On the Arts Distict hell spawn: The arts district is becoming a widespread office park. It's nice and all but only in small doses. Like Alameda, 1st, 7th and the River should be it's quarantine area and this is outside that. I'd like to see a different style of development come to the remaining industrial and warehouses areas in the DTLA freeway loop. These buildings with parking oversupply will cripple the area when it gets better transit some day

And what I surmise from everything else. Parking reform now! Across the whole county! Across all uses!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:41 AM

^^^Good to know that somebody gets me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiK View Post
We need less pitchforks, and more people willing to support additional housing across the metro area in whatever form it takes. This may be an urbanist forum, but before pedestrian activation, filling holes in the skyline, and banning stucco, the housing shortfall takes precedence. Housing is the crisis that is exacting a substantial human toll on the people of Southern California.

My two cents.
Wait. What does an office block in the Arts district have to do with housing ?

I've never said I was against any housing in any form, in any post EVER..... As a matter of fact I've been neutral on all housing that's been built in this city, besides my LACK of DENSITY arguments.

I accept the 7 story buildings. I accept the towers sitting on podiums and even sometimes outright support them even when everybody else here is against them.

When there was a lone Victorian house sitting on a huge lot of land that was about to be torn down for more housing, I was literally the only one on here to say move it or lose it...... even when everyone else said "keep it", "its historical", blah blah.

I understand what you're saying, but you prematurely used the wrong person to get your point across. You got a few applauds, but I'm surprised since most of those people know where I stand on the issues and arguing AGAINST housing isn't one of them.

Now arguing against odd building design choices for office space, which I was doing and everyone else on here does, is free game..... especially since at the moment LA really isn't in short supply of office space.

"Just my 2 cents"

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 19, 2016 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Wait. What does a office block in the Arts district have to do with housing ?

Never said I was against any housing in any post..... As a matter of fact I've been neutral on all housing that's been built in this city.

I accept the 7 story buildings. I accept the towers sitting on podiums and even sometimes outright support them even when everybody else here is against them.

When there was a lone Victorian house sitting on a huge lot of land that was about to be torn down for more housing, I was literally the only one on here to say move it or lose it when everyone else said keep it, its historical, blah blah.

I understand what you're saying, but your post was aimed at the wrong person.

"Just my 2 cents"
Which Victorian house was that?

I only ask because I'm trying to get to the bottom of the Geoff Palmer mystery. There are so many articles about him 'tearing down the last Victorian on Bunker Hill' (stating it was at Sunset+Fig, which to me isn't Bunker Hill), but no images of the home in question. Seems suspicious to not have a single image of that home.

NVM found it, looks like it was nothing special:

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 19, 2016 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:14 AM

^^^ I don't think Palmer was involved with this one. This was a year or two ago in the Westlake district.

A developer wanted to tear down, now that I remember, two obviously butchered and gutted Victorian houses that sat on a decent sized plot of land, with a plot of land right next door, for a 7 story building with below grade parking.

I don't remember the street but I remember them being in Westlake.

They were both in horrible condition, bars on the windows, gutted roofs, leaning porches, graffiti, obvious missing fireplaces, etc....I Could only imagine what they looked like on the inside.

I think I was the only one on here that actually wanted them torn down. Somebody actually used the argument "if it looks like a dollhouse, its considered a Victorian and should be saved"

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 19, 2016 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:59 AM

Quote:
^^^ I don't think Palmer was involved with this one. This was a year or two ago in the Westlake district.

A developer wanted to tear down, now that I remember, two obviously butchered and gutted Victorian houses that sat on a decent sized plot of land, with a plot of land right next door, for a 7 story building with below grade parking.

I don't remember the street but I remember them being in Westlake.

They were both in horrible condition, bars on the windows, gutted roofs, leaning porches, graffiti, obvious missing fireplaces, etc....I Could only imagine what they looked like on the inside.

I think I was the only one on here that actually wanted them torn down. Somebody actually used the argument "if it looks like a dollhouse, its considered a Victorian and should be saved"
Here you go:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11525

BTW I was one of the ones who was against tearing down these gems and I still am.

Last edited by bobbyv; Jul 19, 2016 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 7:05 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Taken from Ace Hotel today

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Lol don't be ridiculous. The graph warms the heart but is incredibly misleading, just like the national unemployment rate. You need to utilize 2nd level thinking to understand the bigger picture.

For anyone interested, a simple Google search will show we are losing more real (not waiters & baristas) jobs than we're gaining.
? your google search only yielded results about manufacturing job losses, I don't see how that makes your point. Either way, very scientific. You stated Los Angeles was losing jobs. You were wrong. Stick to pictures.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:11 PM

http://urbanize.la/sites/default/fil...?itok=SdgBJYwx

Lincoln Property Company adding restaurant space on the Wedbush Center's first floor, including patio seating overlooking 7th Street.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 6:15 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/renderings-r...xposition-park

Mixed-use development planned near LAFC stadium (plus a high-rise hotel)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 8:08 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Huge boon for the neighborhood. Design-wise however, those 7-story buildings look a lot like something by TCA. I'm not expecting much.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What do the surplus residents we're trying to house do?
Who cares? AND wtf are "surplus residents?"

Quote:
We're losing jobs, and the reality is that's never going to stop.
No we're not. Please stop lying.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Lol don't be ridiculous. The graph warms the heart but is incredibly misleading, just like the national unemployment rate. You need to utilize 2nd level thinking to understand the bigger picture.

For anyone interested, a simple Google search will show we are losing more real (not waiters & baristas) jobs than we're gaining.
Service jobs are real jobs, Hunter...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
Here you go:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=11525

BTW I was one of the ones who was against tearing down these gems and I still am.
Yeah those are it. Thanks for the link. so the plans were for a 12 story tower with underground parking ????? I thought it was just a 7story. I'm even more supportive for this project now.

I mean, I understand what everyone is saying. They are (loosely) part of LAs history, but if they cant be moved, they need to be let go. I think some people on here use the term "Victorian" a bit loosely.

Here's an AWESOME slide presentation article of "Americas most spectacular buildings ever torn down" that made the front page of MSN.com today. Surprisingly LA only makes the list once at slide number 13

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/arti...BnbklE#image=1

^^^ If people want to see what ACTUAL Victorians look like, take a look at this slide and compare those lost to the ones that some of us or oddly salivating over here in LA. . Shouldn't even be considered in the same league.

Move it or lose it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:16 AM

^A bit off topic, but that list, other than getting the big ones (Penn Station, Chicago Federal Bldg), is terrible.

No Richfield tower? San Francisco's original City Hall? The Ambassador Hotel? So many better examples.

Speaking of The Richfield Tower, could you imagine if it were still here, currently being renovated in the midst of this boom (since it more than likely would've followed suit with the rest of downtown over the years), to its original black and gold majesty. It would be amazing to see it in real life. In color.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
^A bit off topic, but that list, other than getting the big ones (Penn Station, Chicago Federal Bldg), is terrible.

No Richfield tower? San Francisco's original City Hall? The Ambassador Hotel? So many better examples.

Speaking of The Richfield Tower, could you imagine if it were still here, currently being renovated in the midst of this boom (since it more than likely would've followed suit with the rest of downtown over the years), to its original black and gold majesty. It would be amazing to see it in real life. In color.
For sure. In fact if Richfield Tower, The Philharmonic Auditorium, and the Paramount Theater weren't torn down needlessly I think DTLA's rebirth wouldve started earlier like the rest of the nations downtowns. Then we'd be in a much better spot retail wise since we wouldve secured tenants just before Amazon and other companies started wiping them out.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Service jobs are real jobs, Hunter...
Sadly

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:

yeah. I think some shouldn't really count because they burned down or damaged beyond repair. That's not the same as purposefully demolishing a masterpiece for a parking garage.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:13 AM

http://brighamyen.com/2016/07/19/fla...g-downtown-la/

In Brigham's article, it says that Footaction is restoring the Blue Jeans building facade to it's original look, but I thought we discussed a while back that the facade was more than likely destroyed?

Does "restore" mean that they would rebuild the original facade, or are we missing something. Old photos show no setbacks in comparison to the Merritt building, and the current facade is exactly the same. Am I missing something?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:59 AM

Quote:

RIGHT ! I agree. I thought the list was amazing for the simple fact that it showed a lot of the major stuff we've torn down and unfortunately have lost over the years, But I felt it missed some big ones. I would have replaced the LA slide with the Richfield Tower in a heart beat. I think that's one of LAs biggest lost gems. The interesting theme for the slides was the fact that most of them were torn down for parking lot and garages ! what were we thinking back then ????

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 20, 2016 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:31 AM

Quote:
RIGHT ! I agree. I thought the list was amazing for the simple fact that it showed a lot of the major stuff we've torn down and unfortunately have lost over the years, But I felt it messed some big ones. I would have replaced the LA slide with the Richfield Tower in a heart beat. I think that's one of LAs biggest lost gems. The interesting theme for the slides was the fact that most of them were torn down for parking lot and garages ! what were we thinking back then ????
Richfield was beautiful, don't get me wrong, but at least it was replaced with a pair of skyscrapers. Still, it would've been nice to see the black and gold.

Did you guys know it survived a fire?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations