HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:08 PM

Two Black Sheep is the spot for oysters and unique sips

Two Black Sheep

163 John St. S
, 905-525-1001, twoblacksheep.ca

Hours: Open seven days a week from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.

What you'll pay: Menu options rotate (including a weekly cask beer). Oysters are $15 for six, $28 for a dozen or buck-a-shuck from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday. Charcuterie platters come in combinations of one, three or seven items for $5, $12 and $20.

The bar is wheelchair accessible.

Restaurant review

I have a go-to watering hole in this city (a few actually) for the nights I feel like a pint of something new and interesting, but I hadn't found Hamilton's wine equivalent — until I visited John Street bar Two Black Sheep.

My partner and I dropped by on the eve of a snowstorm and business was booming.

Our server let us settle in before dropping off a bottle of chilled water, taking drink orders — a $14 Jeanneret Grace & Favour Grenache shiraz that I never would have picked on my own, but it was ripe and warm with berry hits — and asking if we were interested in snacks.

It's a carefully phrased question because, while you could make a meal from the oysters and charcuterie platters (the only food the bar offers), it's not really a substitute for dinner (afterward, I wanted pizza; my partner was stuffed).

We gave her creative control of a seven- and a three-item charcuterie, which arrived on wooden platters, the meat and cheese alongside gluten-free polenta crisps, and pickled vegetables.

The veggies (carrots, cauliflower, beans and peas) were fresh, especially the golden beets, which tasted like spring, spiced by vanilla bean and cardamom.

The one-ounce cheese servings from Mickey McGuires in Dundas were enhanced by accompanying dips. The aged goat, a dry hard cheese, went well with Tasmanian honey. The bitter flavour of the chimay was balanced by house-made onion-cabernet jam. A mild stracciatella spread easily on the crisps and the smoked blue — deliciously heavy on the smoke — we ate straight off the knife.

When we ran out of crisps (I wish there had been more), we layered the cheese on thin prosciutto, Rosetta (salami) and wild boar cacciatore (sausage), and spooned up the creamy duck rillette.

My companion confessed he didn't know which bivalves to order, so our server chose a sampling.

My partner liked the Shikoku best. A small oyster with a deep cup, its West Coast origins meant it was briny and fresh with a clean hit of cucumber.

My favourite was the fresh-tasting Mystic, a Connecticut variety with a crisp, clean finish.

We also tried the Kumamoto (a light Washington type, great for the novice), P.E.I.'s Malpeque Premiums, and the ruffle-cupped Beach Angel. Toppings included fresh lemon, horseradish, house-made cucumber and cocktail dressings, and four hot sauces.

For a place with a menu full of items that people love to get pompous about (wine, oysters, craft beer), I was excited by the lack of snoot-itude. Relaxed and friendly staff are knowledgeable and happy to give advice.

The result is a welcoming, unique atmosphere. The bar is cool and casual, and small but not cramped, with large windows, mirrors on each wall and rustic wood fixtures. After dark, bare Edison bulbs give a cosy glow that's helped by the record player spinning a mix of Motown and laconic 1920s jazz.

Different enough for a special night out, yet comfortable enough to be your new local.

Restaurant review

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
I have a go-to watering hole in this city (a few actually) for the nights I feel like a pint of something new and interesting, but I hadn't found Hamilton's wine equivalent — until I visited John Street bar Two Black Sheep.
Review by Spec journalist/Crown Land Goods leather worker/gritLITter/Supercrawl art curator/Amazing Race aspirant Amy Kenny

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 4:02 AM

Oops!

My bad. Sorry.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 10:10 PM
Ham-burgher

There's a review of The Burnt Tongue in the Spec this weekend. This place was mentioned a couple of pages back.

Burnt Tongue review: A soup-er substantial meal
By Amy Kenny

Maybe it's the extra frigid winter or the fact that they've been featured on the Food Network's blog, but The Burnt Tongue has been doing brisk business since it opened on Cannon Street East in September.

It took me ages to test-drive the restaurant — named for its rotating selection of housemade soups posted daily on the restaurant's Twitter account — because there was a lineup every time I walked by.

Even when I stopped in at 3:30 p.m., four of the restaurant's five tables were occupied.

The interior of the small restaurant is inviting. Industrial design elements include steel pipe fixtures, silver track lighting and a concrete kitchen sink made by local artists, Concrete Collective. Walls of smooth cork and contrasting wood panelling warm the atmosphere, giving it the feel of a cabin.

The full menu is written on chalkboards at the counter where you order. Options include roughly five soups, served with your choice of bun, an apple or small cup of carrot and celery sticks.

Additional menu items include a simple burger (beef it up by ordering a double patty), Belgian-cut fries or salad. For drinks, the variety of bottled pops includes standard and specialty sodas.

My partner went for a medium potato fennel soup and a plain burger. I ordered a medium chickpea spinach soup and a burger with cheese (the addition of cheese, bacon or caramelized onion costs $1).

Within minutes, both soups were served steaming in deep, round bowls. The potato fennel was slightly sweet and creamy without being heavy, likely because there was no cream — just a nice puréed potato broth.

The chickpea soup was warm and savoury. Both were substantial, with plenty of chunks of potato in one, and ample servings of chickpea and spinach in the other. The definition of a hearty soup.

The burgers arrived at our table before we were halfway through the soup. My partner described them as "high-end fast food burgers" but the only resemblance to fast food was in size and the processed cheese slice.

Fist-sized buns were topped with juicy handmade patties. Ketchup, pickles, mustard, onion and an imported Dutch mayo gave the meat a tangy kick.

Paired with a soup, the burgers are the perfect size for a midday meal (or for the person who can't decide between soup or sandwich — just get both).

To finish the meal, I went for one of Rudy's Paletas, natural popsicles, handmade locally by Clare Pearson. The blood orange ginger had a citrus taste that was just sour enough. The infusion of ginger gave the frozen treat a nice heat that stayed with me as I walked out of the Burnt Tongue and into a beginning blizzard. I forecast more soup on the horizon.

akenny@thespec.com

905-526-2487 | @Amyatthespec

The Burnt Tongue

10 Cannon St. E.

905-536-1146

@theburnttongue (no website)

Small, medium and large soups range from $4 to $9. Burgers are $4 to $6. Grilled cheese is $3. Standard pop and specialty sodas are $2 to $3. Small, medium and large fries $4 to $8. Unlicensed.

The look: Cosy industrial cafeteria

The feel: Quick and casual

Hours: Monday to Wednesday 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday to Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., closed Sunday.

Not wheelchair accessible.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:20 PM

Seven Windows has become The Aberdeen Tavern, which apparently had its soft launch last night. Apparently slated to officially open Apr 15 -- the job postings for sous-chef and back of house staff are not even a month old.

Last edited by thistleclub; Apr 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 1:13 PM

I visited the now open Brown Dog Cafe on Locke. Once an old church, then studio, now Brown Dog. They took much longer to get it all sorted out than planned, but with really awesome results! It is what Locke Street was missing; a coffee shop with a real food menu!. They have wifi too which for some reason Democracy does not. What kind of coffee shop doesnt have wifi these days anyways?!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 3:01 PM

Pop-Up Hamilton is staging a six-course tasting menu dinner at LIUNA Station April 11.

Tickets for this edition are $150 (+$10 sc) and there are six chefs in play and as many Ontario wineries.

Would be nice to see more emphasis on adventurous locations in future, along the lines of the Oct 17, 2013 or Mar 28, 2014 events. Banquet halls make a somewhat less-than-unexpected location for a meal.

Last edited by thistleclub; Apr 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Seven Windows has become The Aberdeen Tavern, which apparently had its soft launch last night. Apparently slated to officially open Apr 15 -- the job postings for sous-chef and back of house staff are not even a month old.
Now open.

Website / Instagram / Twitter

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Now open.

Website / Instagram / Twitter
Looks great. We need one of these. Looks like a good concept - hope the food is as good.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:12 PM

How long has that Eggsmart "Coming Soon" banner been up at King/Victoria? Months? Years?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:50 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
How long has that Eggsmart "Coming Soon" banner been up at King/Victoria? Months? Years?
Huh? I've never noticed it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Huh? I've never noticed it.
I'll take a picture tonight. It doesn't look "new" to me, more like someone put up the sign but permits, etc made it a hassle so they gave up. I could be wrong though, I'm new to the area so I'm not sure of the history.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 10:54 PM
Hammer'd

I tried to find it in google street view but I didn't see anything (the imagery is about 2 years old). I wish an eggsmart opened here. I go there for greasy still-drunk breakfast in Toronto quite often.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I tried to find it in google street view but I didn't see anything (the imagery is about 2 years old). I wish an eggsmart opened here. I go there for greasy still-drunk breakfast in Toronto quite often.

As you can see, the inside is not looking like much is happening. The paper on the windows is ragged and falling down as well. Who knows...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 6:09 PM
Hammer'd

I think the paper was on the windows long before the eggsmart sign went up, but you are right that it doesn't look like much is going on. As much as I would love to see this happen, they chose a location about 10 blocks too far east...

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:03 AM

Locke Street burger bar exhausting residents
(Hamilton Spectator, Meredith MacLeod, May 14 2014)

Neighbours living above Chuck's Burger Bar on Locke Street say the business is smoking them out.

The tenants say they can't enjoy their balconies or keep doors or windows open because an exhaust fan directly below spews smoke and grease.

They provided an email trail of complaints they've made to city authorities documenting their fire, safety and health concerns.

"I know it's a great place and they make great burgers. Great for them," said Jodi Lochead, who moved in shortly before Chuck's opened in the spring of 2011.

"But this has caused problems with people living their lives."

She says she'll have to move if the situation doesn't get better.

City food inspection records show Chuck's was cited three times — April 17, March 21 and Oct. 30 — for having a ventilation system that was not in compliance.

The citations were laid over a buildup of grease on the ground outside and improper cleaning of filters.

Public health regulations do not address the exterior placement of ventilation systems.

Fire inspectors issued an order against the restaurant to prove its ventilation system is installed and operating correctly.

Fire officials were meeting with the restaurant's owners Wednesday.

"The operation is highly intensive in terms of the number of hamburgers it cooks," said chief fire prevention officer Frank Biancucci. "Proper cleaning is critical."

Chuck's Burger Bar co-owners Chris Preston and Erin Millward responded to Spectator requests for comment with an email. They said their location has been home to a restaurant for many years.

"We have been leasing this restaurant with a pre-existing ventilation and exhaust system, which we are using and maintain on a daily basis. Our business is located in a busy commercial area which allows for restaurant use and we are operating in compliance with all regulations. If other tenants in the building have concerns, they may wish to speak with the landlord."

Millward referred followup questions to the building's owner, Kevin Turbitt.

Kim Rosenberg has lived in the building close to 20 years. There have been at least five other restaurants and she says she's never had a problem before.

She says smoke hangs in the air of her apartment and she fears for what she breathes in.

A reporter's visit to the property last week with owner Turbitt found splatters of grease on the metal stairs and railing, and cardboard below the vent covered in dark grease.

There was spray-foam insulation and duct tape on the fan. Turbitt says the restaurant's ventilation system is a tenant fixture and not his responsibility.

"I don't want (Chuck's) to fail but at the same time I have 11 other tenants (eight residential and three commercial) who are dissatisfied."

Turbitt and his tenants want Chuck's owner Preston to move the exhaust vent to the side of the building and then run emissions up a chimney past the roof.

"It's gotten to the point where he won't talk to me anymore," said Turbitt. "I've sent letters but they continue to ignore it."

Councillor Brian McHattie says city staff has followed up all complaints. He sympathizes with the tenants.

"I don't think either you or I would want to live with this," he said.

Chuck's is a "great draw for Locke Street and much loved by many but the deleterious effects on the folks above are not acceptable."

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:29 AM

Hamilton’s food scene is (finally) booming

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-d...nally-booming/

WED MAY 14, 2014

With cheaper rents, city grants, and a population that’s just starting to get a taste for hipster tacos, Hamilton is looking to be a refuge for chefs priced out of Toronto.

BY: KARON LIU

We’re in an unmarked white van (the best kind of van) cruising through downtown Hamilton’s streets as our unofficial guide directs our attention to shuttered storefronts where new restaurants could potentially move in. On our left is a small corner space that was formerly a barbecue smokehouse, but quickly closed when the neighbouhood boycotted the owner (for apparently not being a very nice man). At another stop was a derelict five-floor nightclub where the previous owners spent $4 million in renovations. Our ride also passed by the future site of a new GO station and a century-old hotel being converted into condos.

For nearly a decade, Hamilton wore the badge of “next big thing” but it wasn’t until the last three or four years that local business owners have really noticed their city growing, particularly in the food sector. With cheaper rent, less restrictive food truck bylaws, and a less saturated field of young chefs, now could be the time for budding restaurateurs to plant a culinary flag.

“My job is to match up businesses with the building owners,” says Glen Norton, manager of urban renewal at Hamilton’s economic development division. He’s at the front of the van showing myself, chef Cory Vitello of The Harbord Room and THR&Co., and vegetarian restaurant Fresh co-owner Barry Alper and manager Lynn Alexander why Toronto restaurateurs should open in his city. Norton lists off the benefits of doing business here (like grants to help a new business spruce-up its storefront), and explains how he’ll step in when businesses have disputes with landlords. (Norton is a building owner himself.) He has an encyclopedic knowledge of every restaurant we walked by, so if you ever bump into this bespectacled grey-haired man who walks fast and talks even faster, he’s the one to hit up for restaurant recommendations.

Norton made quite the splash when he took the job in 2009 with ambitious goals of revitalizing the manufacturing town that was hit hard by the recent recession into a mini-metropolis where residents would, essentially, not have to feel like they have to skip town to get a dose of culture. He’s also part owner of a building in the hip James Street North Area where old Vietnamese, Portuguese, and Italian communities are juxtaposed with new galleries. At the bottom of the building is the Mulberry Street Coffee House, where students pore over textbooks amid the soundtrack of a whirling espresso machine. Above is studio space for those in the creative field, like artists and non-profits. “Honestly, we didn’t want a franchise to move in, even though we probably could have let in a Pizza Pizza for more money,” he says. “We want anything that isn’t a choice right now, like a good barbecue place.”

Norton, along with a Toronto-based PR company whose principal moved to Hamilton three years ago, arranged a food tour of the city. (The firm previously did a similar tour, but with music venues.) One of the first stops is Earth to Table Bread Bar, an all-day, kid friendly restaurant specializing in pizzas and burgers on the coveted (read: slim chance there’s a vacancy) Locke Street strip that, over the years, has transformed from a biker’s hangout to antique-shop central to a row of quaint restaurants and food shops.

“When we opened four years ago, we hoped this place would do $600,000 in sales—we did $2.8 million,” says restaurant and building owner Jeff Crump, who is also the chef at the Landmark Restaurant Group. “Look around, it’s Monday at 4 p.m. and people are eating here. We do 500 covers a day at this 36-seat restaurant.” Crump bought the building for $500,000 and spent $300,000 on renovating the 800 square-foot dining room and the offices and storage space downstairs.

“It sounds obvious, but people in Hamilton want good food,” he continues. “Five years ago, we had places that were good, but not great. We’re still in a bit of a no-man’s land and we’re waiting for more [chefs] to show up. In the meantime, we can have a bit of fun.” By fun, he means having weekly specials riffing on trends that have gone beyond the point of saturation in other towns: tacos, fried chicken, a porchetta burger inspired by Porchetta and Co., the fabled umami burger, and even ramen. (One of their prep cooks used to be at Momofuku.)

Foods and restaurant concepts that we take for granted (or have snobbishly deemed played-out) have yet to take hold here, giving chefs the freedom to be one of the first here. David Ricottone, a Hamilton native and manager at Dark Horse Espresso Bar on Queen West, runs a supper club called the Saint James and is looking to open a spot in the city he was born in. “For the first time, Torontonians don’t have a bad thing to say about Hamilton,” he says, adding that he’s thinking of an Italian-Mediterranean spot with influences from Porchetta and Co. “It’s like the Wild West right now. I can find a place that’s 2,500 square feet for $1,200 a month and it’ll be triple that in Toronto. Hamilton will never be Toronto, but it can be rich in culture.”

Ricottone joined the restaurateurs at another stop, an oyster and charcuterie bar called Two Black Sheep owned by business partners Matthew Kershaw and Erin Dunham who also run The Black Hoof-inspired Rapscallion across the street. (It specializes in meat, but on this day it’s a Meatless Monday menu.) Kershaw boasts that, since Two Black Sheep opened last November, they sell more oysters per seat than anywhere else in the province and that they made back their initial investment after two months of opening. “For 20 years, nothing really happened here,” he says. “No one tried anything new and then in the last three or four years we had 30, 40 places open. Some of them closed since, but it really exploded.” He’s thinking of opening another place specializing in non-traditional tacos.

Hipster tacos appear to be on most people’s lips. At another stop, a seven-month-old hole-in-the wall soup and sandwich shop appropriately called The Burnt Tongue, I ask co-owner Leo Tsangarakis what he’d like to open in his town. “We really need something hip like a La Carnita or a Grand Electric, or a cool steamie place without the three-hour wait,” he says while dispensing giant bowls of rich and spicy carrot-cumin soup. (Some of their recipes can be found on The Food Network blogs.) “There’s talk about the pop-up dining experience, but it’ll be cool to get something like Come and Get It to do something for a few months. With the right idea, there’s certainly a pulse you can tap into.”

There is a definite glimmer in the eyes of these chefs, who see their town as a blank canvas—or in the very least, Ossington before it became you know, today’s Ossington. They all agree that, at this current rate, the window of opportunity will close in five years once more restaurants open, driving rent up and increasing bidding wars and the overlap in restaurant concepts. Still, opening a business in an unfamiliar city shouldn’t be taken lightly. For Fresh, the main concern is staffing, as Alper asks every restaurant owner how many people they hired and how difficult it is to retain and find qualified employees. Each Fresh location has 40 to 45 staffers (more than most of the restaurants we visited) and with every new location that opens in Toronto, existing staff simply move to the new spot that’s a short subway or streetcar ride away. But to open in a new city, they’ll basically be hiring from scratch.

Harbord Room’s chef Cory Vitellio, who’s originally from the nearby Brantford, is paying attention to how much foot traffic these restaurants get. “Saving on rent can only get you so far,” he says. “There are incentives, but there still needs to be a drive to get people here.” For chefs to come, there needs to be people—but for there to be people, there need to be chefs.

At the last stop, Radius—a spacious cafe and restaurant with reclaimed wood floors, exposed brick walls, and chandeliers hanging from high ceilings—the duo from Fresh contemplate which area they’d like to open in after all we’ve seen today.

“I’d say not Locke Street, because it’s residential,” says Lynn Alexander.
“But look at the pizza place. It’s busy at 4 p.m. on a Monday,” says Alper.
“But our lunch does a lot of high volume,” Alexander replies. “We turn tables in 30 to 40 minutes with lots of take-out. We need office buildings, places that would do the numbers we’re used to doing.”

“Jackson Square,” interjects unofficial tour guide Norton. “We’ve got the towers, the markets, you can hardly find a seat at lunch time.” Unable to finish the platter of falafel sliders in front of us, it was time to head back to Toronto.

By now, it’s nighttime and our stomachs are brimming from an all-day restaurant crawl that’s taken us from cheese shop to burger bar to pizzeria to oyster bar, to soup stall to cafe to lounge. On the way back, I ask Alper if the tour had any effect in persuading him to do business in Hamilton. “We’ll be here in 18 months, no question,” says Alper, who is having a franchise-development meeting next month. “We’ll have to figure out the real estate. I noticed that few places put investment into design; we could do it the old way we did it when we first opened. Hamilton will be on it for sure. You’re not going to find these spaces anywhere else outside of Toronto.”

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
"I noticed that few places put investment into design"
Stop, you're making us blush!

BTW, junkets are the new steel.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:58 AM

I'm surprised about all of these complaints about Chucks... I always assumed they kept 100% of the smoke INSIDE the restaurant

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
City food inspection records show Chuck's was cited three times — April 17, March 21 and Oct. 30 — for having a ventilation system that was not in compliance.
If anyone's curious:

* April 17
* March 21
* October 30

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation