HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjPhilly View Post
The place was hopping today. Looking down Ranstead from 16th I could see a boom truck on site pumping concrete. I imagine now that the holidays are over things will pick back up.
Good to hear that...thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildup View Post
Is there money to re-clad the side of the current Ritz Carlton tower that will face RATR? Since the RATR will not be attached to the old tower like One Meridian this facade will be an eyesore to those in the new tower.
For whatever it's worth, the rendering clearly shows a restored facade on west side of the current Ritz Carlton. If the rendering is accurate, the west side will be very visible from the street at angles northwest of the building. If it isn't restored, it will be an eyesore to everybody, not just the people with views of the building from RATR.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:15 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMininger View Post
For whatever it's worth, the rendering clearly shows a restored facade on west side of the current Ritz Carlton. If the rendering is accurate, the west side will be very visible from the street at angles northwest of the building. If it isn't restored, it will be an eyesore to everybody, not just the people with views of the building from RATR.
They will probably just finish it with stucco. it's quick and easy and will look nice.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:54 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

If only was someone in this city who specialized in covering blank walls in prominent locations.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwelt View Post
If only was someone in this city who specialized in covering blank walls in prominent locations.
Like a 20-story tall mesh-screen Nike ad with McNabb on it or something? A la Times Square?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:37 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

Actually, I was referring to the Mural Arts Program. I'd personally like to see them involved more in new construction and renovation. I love their work in regards to the over-abundant blank walls of old buildings in this city. But I think it's a shame that there isn't more co-ordination with developers. A percentage of every new building has to go to public art AND new construction invariably has to deal with things like air rights which force architects to leave things like blank walls.

The logical thing to do would be to make the connection and turn all buildings into public art not just our older stock.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:55 PM

Who knows what it would cost to paint something that size. They are putting one up on the south side of Hahnemann Hospital. The cost of that new mural is $150,000. But hey, I'm still holding out hope for a mural on the side of the Beaumont.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 9:08 PM

Philadelphia (in my opinion) is the most beautiful and real city in the US. It's not overrun by tourism, and it just has this charm that I have found nowhere else. (Try finding a nice city in North Carolina, wont happen). I would love to live there some day Tis heaven

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 1:36 AM

^^ I think that a key to the City is in order for this clearly intelligent, circumspect person...........many of us are inclined to agree..for the most part....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 6:36 PM

There's a building in Old City going condo on 3rd St., north of Market where they've completed and/or touched up a mural which reflected the building's original use...brilliant colors and almost an early 20th century advertisement for the building's original use/products. I was really impressed with it. Anyone know what I'm talking out? I'm pretty sure it's N. 3rd street near New Street I believe.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:29 PM

its hard to believe they have been working on this site since last May and yet nothing has come above the ground. I supposed the pace will really pick up when they start erecting floors but at this point it seems like Fall 2008 would be pushing it in terms of an opening date. Then again, that is more than 18 months away and a lot can happen. The site work on this building is taking just as long as the CC as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 9:32 PM
<Future NFL star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
its hard to believe they have been working on this site since last May and yet nothing has come above the ground. I supposed the pace will really pick up when they start erecting floors but at this point it seems like Fall 2008 would be pushing it in terms of an opening date. Then again, that is more than 18 months away and a lot can happen. The site work on this building is taking just as long as the CC as far as I can tell.
I think this is an all-steel building (correct me if I'm wrong). If its all steel they could have the frame up in 30 weeks. If it comes above street level in Spring, the frame is up by late October at worst. No problem putting SOMEONE in there by Fall of '08 -- might not be completely done but neither was WFS.
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:02 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillydude View Post
I think this is an all-steel building (correct me if I'm wrong). If its all steel they could have the frame up in 30 weeks. If it comes above street level in Spring, the frame is up by late October at worst. No problem putting SOMEONE in there by Fall of '08 -- might not be completely done but neither was WFS.
Why would you think it is steel? It is a residential building and residential buildings are always concrete unless it is a conversion of an existing steel building to residential.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Why would you think it is steel? It is a residential building and residential buildings are always concrete unless it is a conversion of an existing steel building to residential.
I think this is a special case -- below grade they are re-using the structure from the Meridian building, which was steel-framed. And according to the building's (unlinkable, Flash-based) website, there is mention that structural steel for the parking levels will be going up shortly.

I'm completely clueless as to construction stuff, but wouldn't it be very difficult to change construction method to concrete part way up the building? It might be more expensive to build with steel, but they have a ridiculous construction budget, and probably have saved $ by re-using the Meridian steelwork.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbster View Post
I think this is a special case -- below grade they are re-using the structure from the Meridian building, which was steel-framed.
Yes - I've never seen a concrete building built on top of an existing steel structure. So my guess is this building will be steel. Other recent steel residential construction includes the Western Union, the new Drexel dorm, and the Nouveau. Much smaller buildings, of course, but steel all the same.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:47 PM
Realtor

I'm really not sure but I'm thinking it's gonna be re-enforced concrete too. Remember the enormous basement level concrete pour a couple months back?? They have been pouring concrete with rebar for the last couple months and are now up to about 1 floor below ground level. You can see the concrete forms if you walk over to the adjacent parking lot. It's moving on up quickly and should be sprouting out soon I imagine. I'm really not sure how the existing steel is going to mix in but I guess we'll find out soon.

Does anyone know for sure?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:18 PM

I dont know, but I am ready to see this thing come out of the ground. I wonder where the crane is going to be placed as well.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:56 PM

What does the sight look like during the day? Is it a "beehive" of activity OR are we talking about a few trucks and a small crew? This thing is taking forever.........

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:57 PM

Excuse the sight versus site.......

I am still working on my language arts. Many apologies.......

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 6:08 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Ville Man View Post
What does the sight look like during the day? Is it a "beehive" of activity OR are we talking about a few trucks and a small crew? This thing is taking forever.........
It's hard to say because whatever is going on is below ground and behind a fence so it can't be seen. It looks to me more like the "few trucks and a small crew" scenereo and they still just have the little crane. There certainly is no visible progress at this time from a few months ago......but again they say it is all underground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive