HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I don't believe Sunalta would have much of a say as the arena would not be going in their community and the Flames Organization would only consult with the out of courtesy. Also, the Flames Organization would have to provide parking underground in Victoria Park as permanent new surface parking lots are not allowed in Beltline. Consequently, the Flames Organization would have to pay the same amount to reduce parking concerns in Sunalta as they would have to pay to provide new lots in Beltline.
...Ignore me, for some reason I thought we were talking about Westbrook...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
True but I'm pointing out the benefits of an Athlete's Village in Westbrook not the West Village. In a different post earlier, I was talking about a few of the benefits of putting the arena in the West Village.
Oh that's an interesting idea. Could be a way to get both TOD's going at the same time. Having an athletes village up on Westbrook would also be a sure way to get a lot of epic skyline footage lol

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 10:36 PM
BANNED

So if the arena and stadium are getting built close to the stampede grounds, I'm assuming Railtown, 20 acre proposal on the eastern edge of the Beltline is dead?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk-U1JxCcAAu-ay.png

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:17 AM

^ I hope not! ^

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
So if the arena and stadium are getting built close to the stampede grounds, I'm assuming Railtown, 20 acre proposal on the eastern edge of the Beltline is dead?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk-U1JxCcAAu-ay.png
In its previous iteration quite likely. Remington never acquired the bus barn site (its still city property) and the only way they get it is to build a replacement facility for the city, which is a bit of a contentious issue due to sole sourcing and the like.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:34 AM
Traditional Ale User

Not the arena, but Stadium upgrades at McMahon announced at the fan forum this evening. The massive screen is long over due.
http://stampeders.com/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 8:53 PM

Brian Burke says Saddledome is ‘embarrassing,’ wants new arena

http://globalnews.ca/news/1376991/br...nts-new-arena/

I'm inclined to agree with him...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:08 PM

As long as I'm not paying for it, have at 'er.

Quote:
"It's not just what a hockey team gets and what it adds for a hockey team. It's what it does to a downtown core and we need a new building in Calgary. There's absolutely no reason we should watch a new building going up in Edmonton and we've got to play in a 1988 building here."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rena-1.2666469

Wow, entitled much? Basically "I want one too!"

Last edited by Fuzz; Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:07 PM

I wouldn't call it entitlement, I would call it reality. The fact is the only arenas older than the Saddledome in the NHL are Madison Square Garden (which just did a billion dollar renovation), Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings have a new $650 million arena planned), Rexall Centre (Edmonton New Arena in progress) and Nassau Colosseum (Islanders are moving to Barclays Centre for the 2015 season). So basically the Flames will be playing in the worst and most dated facility in the league within a few years.

Last edited by red_179; Jun 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:07 PM

Gotta love Burkie - agree 110%! (although McMahon is a thousand times more embarrassing)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_179 View Post
I wouldn't call it entitlement, I would call it reality. The fact is the only arenas older than the Saddledome in the NHL are Madison Square Garden (which just did a billion dollar renovation), Joe Louis Arena (Red Wings have a new $650 million arena planned), Rexall Centre (Edmonton New Arena in progress) and Nassau Colosseum (Islanders are moving to Barclays Centre for the 2015 season). So basically the Flames will be playing in the worst and most dated facility in the league within a few years.
What is not a reality though is any claims that this arena will "revitalize" our downtown. That is happening already, without the need for a tax payer subsidy to the Flames of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:46 PM

I would say embarrassing is a bit of a stretch, but we do need a new barn.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
What is not a reality though is any claims that this arena will "revitalize" our downtown. That is happening already, without the need for a tax payer subsidy to the Flames of hundreds of millions of dollars.
With the right design we may be able to replace a few parking lots with a shiny new stadium in Vic Park. Perhaps even get pedestrian infrastructure, bigger sidewalks and tree-lined streets.

Not bad for $500 million.

I am actually okay with some subsidy, seems like there is no way to really avoid it as all other cities do it. Just not at the expense of any of our higher priority infrastructure projects and a well structured cost / revenue sharing agreement with the Flames ownership to minimize the public exposure to a costly project.

But it better be in the same area. All that transit infrastructure wasn't free and they should use it. A block or two north of the Saddledome gets you into very comfortable walking distance to Centre Street station. Opens up both lines without a transfer to the NE. Also on the SE LRT route as well. That's the only place I would risk it a new stadium.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 11:03 PM
Traditional Ale User

Agreed, the 'Dome isn't embarrassing. Nassau is embarrassing, the dome is just dated. Really hoping for either Big4 or Greyhound.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 11:07 PM

Private money only please!
I love the idea of north of the saddle dome, but isn't that where The orchard is going to be?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I love the idea of north of the saddle dome, but isn't that where The orchard is going to be?
Put it in the lot a block north of there along the CPR tracks. I think it's owned for a future train station / HSR but the province will never be progressive enough to consider that seriously so might as well give a portion up to a new stadium.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
After all the uproar about taxes, public art, the Peace Bridge etc, you can bet not one cent of municipal money will go to this arena, it would be political suicide for every member of council who voted for it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_o View Post
Agreed, the 'Dome isn't embarrassing. Nassau is embarrassing, the dome is just dated. Really hoping for either Big4 or Greyhound.
And it isn't broken either. Last time I checked the seats and ice plant still worked. So we miss a few concerts every year. I can live that. Besides, most of the acts that can't play here because of the Saddledome suck. Plus there' nothing more fun that a rock'n'roll road trip even if it is just to the Chuck.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 12:37 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_o View Post
Agreed, the 'Dome isn't embarrassing. Nassau is embarrassing, the dome is just dated.
No shit. Anyone who's been to Nassau understands this. I'd almost even put Rexall in the "embarrassing" category, but the Saddledome? It's just a bit old. Barely 30 years at that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 12:40 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
After all the uproar about taxes, public art, the Peace Bridge etc, you can bet not one cent of municipal money will go to this arena, it would be political suicide for every member of council who voted for it.
Doubtful. Beyond the Rick Bells of the world, who are basically MEMEMEMEMEMEME MYMONEY STOPTAKINGMYTAXDOLLARS about everything, I'd say the intersection between people complaining about public art/bridges and those who would complain about public money in a new arena is pretty small.

I mean, unless we spend another $100m to get some fancy European architect to design something actually nice to look at instead of just a generic brick box. THAT will get both camps united.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates