HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:42 AM

^Are they finished excavating for the second tower yet?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:35 AM

I didn't actually walk right up to the site, just bypassed it on the other side of Spear Street, but my guess is they probably are finished with the excavation; if they aren't they should be close to finishing by now since the third tower crane should go up not far from now. I will go walk right up to the site tomorrow and see if the excavation is complete. Oh, also, before I found this thread in this forum, I started an article on this project on Wikipedia.com. I think the information I put on the article about the project is accurate, but if it's wrong, anyone can go to article and edit the information. There's also 10 pictures of the project I took from 7/16-7/25 on the article. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Spear_Street

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 1:51 AM

I walked by the site today again, but closer this time. The excavation is not complete; I saw an excavator removing dirt from where the Spear St. midrise is going to rise. As for the thing that looked like a glass curtainwall from afar, it turned out to be a small little wall covering two vertical pipes that were recently installed. The wall was located very close to the edge of Infinity II and from afar I mistakingly thought it was the glass curtainwall.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 3:12 AM

Thanks for the update. You mind posting your pics on this site?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 2:41 AM

I'll try to get some newer pictures posted here sometime next week, since the ones at wikipedia are a bit old, meanwhile:

I passed the site today again and it seems like the excavation is complete. I saw a concrete mat or foundation for the Spear St. highrise (Infinity I) and midrise. There were wooden forms poking out of the massive foundation mat as well, waiting to be filled with concrete. In addition, there's dark-green curtainwall glass, packaged and wrapped placed all over the site. Some of them lie on the 3rd and 4th floor of Infinity II and some lie on Folsom St. Near the small piece of wall covering the two vertical pipes, the first piece of curtainwall glass is up already. The third crane should go up soon.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 1:36 AM

Here are the pictures (all newer pics are dated 8/6):
Yesterday on Sunday, 8/6, I stopped by the site and the crane was raised again, probably on Saturday, 8/5. I wasn't there to see the Morrow Crane people raise the bigger tower crane, but I saw their work. The tower crane was raised more than last time and it seems to be at or above the top of the nearby Gap building. The crane is tall enough to be seen on Third St. near the Potrero power plant.

Raised crane towering over the site.

Another pic of the crane and the smaller crane.

For those of you who love seeing glass, here it is, the first piece of curtailwall and the blue lift used to move the pieces. There are more pieces of glass lying all over the site from the delivery on 8/1. Today, 8/7, they put up 5 bigger pieces of glass when I passed the site at around 2:00 pm. They probably put up more pieces when I was at work.

The big pit. Excavation is done, the ground is all covered with the massive foundation mat and the two excavators that were seen on Spear St. in late-July are gone.

Old pics, taken sometime ago:

Site on 7/25.

Men working on the lifting rig, taken during the first lift (weekend of 7/22-7/23).

Bigger crane after first lift and concrete structure (7/23).

Crane and concrete structure on 7/16 (before any of the lifts).

I will probably do another update on the project later this week, since there seems to be a lot of work happening on the site.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 3:08 AM

There is so much progress going on at Spear! Thanks for sharing your pictures and knowledge!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 3:29 AM

thanks for the pics again... any signs of the Third and final tower crane?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 3:35 AM

Now it's starting to get interesting. I can barely make out the curves in the cement that will give the towers their distinct look! Thanks for the pics AK, looking forward to more updates

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 5:59 AM

Thanks for the comments, more pics here.

With so much activity going on, I decided to post an update today. Well, it the site was just absolutely busy today, with a new shipment of curtainwall glass panels arriving on a truck. The workers were really busy getting ready to unload the pieces on to the site. Meanwhile, up on the concrete core, wooden forms were being placed, pipes were being welding and lots of materials were being moved around to get them ready to be used. I circled the site to take the 17 pictures below, dated today, 8/8. As for the third tower crane, I haven't seen any sign of it. Webcor's site said mid-August, so maybe wait a week or so and then the third crane may rise. The site to me does look a little cramped for the third tower crane, so it could be a luffing-jib crane, with two tower cranes, a concrete core, and nearby buildings surrounding the site where the third crane will rise. I saw a hole in the massive foundation mat under the future Spear St. midrise, it's probably location of the elevator core that will rise. 56k, beware.

The smaller crane and progress on the Main St. midrise. The concrete core for this tower was poking up already.

Lower part of the bigger crane and the panels of installed glass curtainwall from 8/7.

Truck with shipment of curtainwall glass pieces.

Main St. highrise and midrise.

Main St. highrise concrete core.

Closer look at the pipes, walls, and the green glass.

Mobile crane on Spear St. This could be used to erect the third crane.

Tall crane and upper part of the concrete core. When the core catches up to the crane sometime later this year, the concrete core will make an impact on the San Francisco skyline, especially the view toward SF from Treasure Island. I saw the crane briefly when I was riding Caltrain and the crane is taller than the Gap tower nearby and I estimate it is around 290-300 ft. tall. (Gap tower is, I think, 275 ft.) I also saw the raised Rincon Hill crane in front (update on that later.)

View of the work on the upper floors.

Elevator on Folsom St.

The worksite, overall view.

Smaller crane and mobile crane.

Another pic of the Main St. highrise.

Lower view of work.

More glass.

View from Spear St.

View from Main St.

If there is more activity on the site, I will post another update on the same day.

Last edited by AK47KC; Aug 9, 2006 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 2:44 AM

That green glass is purrrdy.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2006, 3:30 AM

Looks like the third tower crane is going up right now; I saw a tall mobile crane setting up the tower crane when I drove by on I-80. Sry, no pics, since I'm in Davis right now, maybe on the 17th I will post an update.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2006, 4:33 AM

i know it sounds bad, but i actually get excited when i see AK47KC make a post to this thread. i'm always expecting kick ass photos! i can't wait to see if there's more glass added to the tower(s). thanks for the update!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 3:26 AM

Update as promised.

More curtainwall glass was placed and both buildings on Main continue to push skyward. The small mobile crane seen above was gone and a tall, black mobile crane was erected on Spear St. The tall mobile crane will aid construction of both the Spear St. midrise and highrise. It will also be used to construct the third tower crane and today, I saw a piece of it on the street.

Here are the pics.

Pics I forgot to load before going to UC Davis, dated 8/11, last week.

Site on 8/11.

Core of the Infinity II

More glass placed.

Another view of the core.

And yet more glass.

Midrise and cranes.

Another pic of the glass.

Pics from 8/16.

The site and the cranes.

Rising taller.

View from near 301 Mission and the Transbay Terminal.

Pics on 8/17.

Glass...glass...glass.

Here it goes, the third tower crane, or a piece of it.

Crane and the Infinity II.

If you want more pics, say so, because I walk by the site (and One Rincon and Millennium Tower at 301 Mission) almost everyday.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2006, 11:17 PM

I'm LOVING the curved green glass. Rawr.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 5:20 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Totally--both the color and the variability in reflection are awesome.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2006, 12:00 AM

is the glass attached directly to the concrete?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2006, 5:38 PM

Probably, I saw holes in the concrete floor edges where the glass curtainwall pieces are locked and secured to the concrete. Look carefully in the pictures, you may see it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47KC
Probably, I saw holes in the concrete floor edges where the glass curtainwall pieces are locked and secured to the concrete. Look carefully in the pictures, you may see it.
Hi, Ak47C. Excellent pictures. You do a good job capturing the whole site. Maybe you can post updates evey week or so? That should be a long enough interval to notice progress on the buildings. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2006, 10:13 PM

Post them as frequently as you want AK47C. I don't think anyone here will complain about seeing too many pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive