HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
4 of Edmonton's wins came from close games with eastern teams. I think they may have more difficulties for the next little while.
Especially if they don't start getting some bodies back. At this point I don't know how they're fielding a team. Before last night there were 20 on the injured list.

If they go .500 the rest of the way it's still a 12-6 season.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 2:23 AM

Good to see over 16,000 fans for today's argos game at BMO hopefully this can pick up momentum. Long term I think the keys to Argos fan growth is 1) Marketing and setting the games at BMO as affordable fun event for a family.2) A winning product on the field.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 3:35 AM

I agree with those two being the most important for success of the Argos, but the other way around. Putting an exciting winning product is without question most important to get fans into the product.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:45 AM

Ive recently read on the MLS thread the values Forbes has determined the value of some franchises. I am having a hard time understanding how TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver, with revenues of $46 million, $25 million, and $20 million respectively, yet CFL franchise are worth significantly less, with relatively the same revenue yet significantly more viewers. CFL get anywhere from 350k to 700k viewers per game, and TFC only get average 90k per game. Which is roughly 3 times as much as TFC (using 500k vs 90k, 18 game season vs 32 game season).

Sask riders revenue for 2016: $38 million
Edmonton Esks revenue: $24 million
Wininnipeg B Bombers revenue: $27 million

All this with operating costs I assume significantly less... each teams cap is less than TFC's star player.

What are people's insights on this... doesn't make much sense how they are worth so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Impact fighting their way back up the standings. A win tomorrow will put them in a playoff spot.

In other news, Forbes published a list of the most valuable MLS franchises in 2017. Average MLS team is worth $223 million, up 20 % from last year.

1. LA Galaxy - $315 million (19% increase from last year, 2016 revenue of $63 million)
2. Seattle - $295 million
3. TFC - $280 million (2016 revenue of $46 million)
4. NYC FC - $275 million
5. Orlando City SC - $272 million
6. Portland Timbers - $268 million
12. NE Revolution - $225 million (2016 revenue of $27 million)
15. Montreal Impact - $175 million (2016 revenue of $25 million)
18. Vancouver Whitecaps - $150 million (2016 revenue of $20 million)

Expansion fee to join the league is now $150 million. Saputo paid $40 million for Montreal to join the MLS back in 2012. That's a 275% increase.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Ive recently read on the MLS thread the values Forbes has determined the value of some franchises. I am having a hard time understanding how TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver, with revenues of $46 million, $25 million, and $20 million respectively, yet CFL franchise are worth significantly less, with relatively the same revenue yet significantly more viewers. CFL get anywhere from 350k to 700k viewers per game, and TFC only get average 90k per game. Which is roughly 3 times as much as TFC (using 500k vs 90k, 18 game season vs 32 game season).

All this with operating costs I assume significantly less... each teams cap is less than TFC's star player.

What are people's insights on this... doesn't make much sense how they are worth so much.
The MLS' US TV contracts and sponsorship deals that benefit teams all across the league?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The MLS' US TV contracts and sponsorship deals that benefit teams all across the league?
The MLS US TV contract and the CFL TV contract are basically the same dollars per team.

MLS teams aren't worth that kind of money, as many have stated before, they'll be worth whatever someone will pay for them. Toronto paid what, a 10 million dollar expansion fee and they expect people to ante up 150 million now with no prospects of a big US TV contract like the other sports.

Any higher value would also be based on the likelihood of an owner moving a franchise, a "luxury" the CFL doesn't have.

They are already having this conversation in the MLS thread which would be a good place to keep it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:58 PM

Well Ticats fans, I think the Chick trade signifies (if their record already hadn't) the official end to your season. Good move getting a second round pick and clearing up cap space for next season.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:43 PM

It's so bad in Hamilton that I feel for the fans who have to put up with this ongoing debacle... how did the Cats go from being a playoff team last season to this? Surely Kent Austin's days must be numbered now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:11 PM

^ I think he'll remove himself from his coaching duties which will likely save his GM title for another off season / start of next season.

You're absolutely right on how bad it is. The game against Ottawa could have easily been a lot worse for Hamilton if Ottawa could have converted for more than just field goals in the first 20 minutes of play time. Collaros is just plain brutal right now and there is clearly some angst between he and Austin on the sideline.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
^ I think he'll remove himself from his coaching duties which will likely save his GM title for another off season / start of next season.
Agree

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:01 PM

Back where it all started: The CFL means the world to this NFL LB
Robbie Abrahamson the snap cfl.ca

When nobody else would give him the opportunity to showcase his talents, the CFL gave Jerrell Freeman that one chance he needed.

The former Saskatchewan Roughrider & current Chicago Bear re-visited his former home (Old Mosaic) to reflect on his time in the CFL.

After leaving the CFL, Freeman flourished with the Indianapolis Colts & continues to do so for “Da Bears.”

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

Assets: Forbes is big on assets that boost up its team valuations.
MLS has lucrative digital rights and partnerships with other leagues it uses to make money.

Stadium: Many MLS teams own outright or are in a partnership that has ownership of their stadiums.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:00 PM

^ I suspect that MLS' ceiling is much higher because it's a mainly American league. If Americans ever really, REALLY get into soccer the value of that league will be through the roof.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:48 PM

It's official. June Jones is the new head coach for the Hamilton Tiger-cats.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
It's official. June Jones is the new head coach for the Hamilton Tiger-cats.
Geez, why didn't they just rip off the bandaid and do it at once instead of rolling it out in stages?

So I presume Austin stays as GM?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:53 PM

The media post stated that Kent will remain as the team's Vice President of Football Operations.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:11 AM
arf

Congrats to Nik Lewis on the receiving record. He'll be putting quite a few between him and second place the way he's going.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 12:46 PM

I was pretty disappointed in the CFL's timing for honouring Nik's achievement after a game (loss) infront of the 100 fans that stuck around after a loss and not knowing that there was going to be a ceremony. Before next weeks game in front of 20K fans would have been a much better time to celebrate one of the leagues all time players.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
I was pretty disappointed in the CFL's timing for honouring Nik's achievement after a game (loss) infront of the 100 fans that stuck around after a loss and not knowing that there was going to be a ceremony. Before next weeks game in front of 20K fans would have been a much better time to celebrate one of the leagues all time players.
I'm surprised they did the ceremony at the end of an overtime loss when the fans were understandably itching to go home after a long evening. It looked kind of goofy on TV.

BTW awesome thriller win by the Bombers

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:54 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
At least they didn't do it on the spot during the middle of a critical Als drive late in the game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada