HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:59 PM

Addition of retailers could revitalize historic Galleria

AM Living joins Brooks Brothers on ground floor of long-troubled downtown mall
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Wednesday, September 26, 2007
BY TYLER GRAF

Few Portland buildings have as storied yet as troubled a history as the retail core’s Galleria Building, owned by the Bill Naito Co. Built in 1909 and once the cornerstone of Portland’s retail sector, the historic Galleria has had trouble retaining retail tenants in recent years, with the exception of Made in Oregon, which is owned by Sam Naito.

But that may change soon.

In February 2007, high-end clothing retailer Brooks Brothers inked a deal to lease space on the bottom floor of the building’s southeast side. The arrival will give Brooks Brothers about 11,500 square feet of retail space centrally located on a prominent MAX light-rail line.

Adjacent to Brooks Brothers will be AM Living, a home furnishings store specializing in antique reconstructions. AM Living is a 39-year-old company with offices overseas and in Eugene. The company intends to add hardwood floors and dramatic lighting to accentuate the retail displays and underscore the company’s ideal of beauty, originality and high culture, director of sales Sheri Wayt said.

“This location is just waiting for the right retailer to come in and spice it up,” Wayt said. “We really want to create a retail store that other retailers can emulate.”

And that is the prevailing opinion of the Bill Naito Co. “This is happening now because we’re getting the tenants we wanted,” Naito’s Doug Campbell said.

For the man who brokered the deal, Jon Kellogg of Commercial Realty Advisors, the Galleria’s recent leasing signifies a strengthening of the burgeoning central business district thanks to spill off from the Pearl District.

“This reflects the new owners’ dedication to revitalizing this great center of business,” Kellogg said. The growth in the Pearl District is creating a “hemorrhaging” of potential retail costumers that will inevitably move into the retail district, Kellogg said.

Still, the building suffers from an antiquated design, Jeff Joslin of the Bureau of Development Services said.

“When you think about the floor plan itself, it’s not the most efficient,” Joslin said. “It’s more of a mall environment than a place for offices.”

But is Wayt worried about the Galleria’s reputation? “No, because I think, ultimately, that there’s been a real commitment by the city of Portland to reinvigorate downtown by reinvesting in old space.”

The demographics of the retail core, and Portland as a whole, were factors in AM Living’s decision, as Portland is known for its affluent, educated and cultured populace, Wayt said.

Demographics information released by Commercial Realty Advisors lists the average household income within a three-mile radius of the Galleria at $60,123 and the percentage of the population in that radius from the ages of 30 to 44 at 27.3 percent.

The Galleria has been on the Portland Development Commission’s radar for years due to its prominence, age and need for repair. The PDC has recommended continued renovations, improved loading docks and seismic upgrades.

“While other investments, such as the growth of PSU are important, the Work Group agreed that capital investments in buildings which have been long-term physical liabilities for the overall health of the downtown are important,” PDC’s 2007-2008 fiscal budget said.

The PDC is concerned that a centrally located building of the Galleria’s significance could have a negative ripple effect if it does not secure retail tenants. The PDC’s 2007-2008 budget calls the Galleria a development opportunity and says the building could receive a portion of $6.8 million set aside for improvements in the area. Improvements to the Galleria would be “catalytic,” Claudia Plaza of the PDC said.

Despite new retailers entering the Galleria, Campbell is reluctant to talk about the long-term goals of the building.

“I don’t like to count my chickens until they’re hatched and running around,” he said.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...rs-on-ground-f

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Now that H&M is in both San Francisco and L.A. we hopefully are next!
Vancouver (BC) and Seattle seem to have beat ya - the first one for the Vancouver area opened last month in a suburb - Coquitlam and there will be a huge 33,000 sq ft 3 level store opening downtown in the new year

Seattle is getting a 2 level store at University Village

But I think H&M would do really well downtown - its certainly a draw - the coquitlam store has been nuts everytime I have visited

a pic of the opening day...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:03 PM

^the fact they are expanding the the NW is a good sign. Distribution networks are being expanded and that means that adding a Portland store would only enhance the current network they've already invested in.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^the fact they are expanding the the NW is a good sign. Distribution networks are being expanded and that means that adding a Portland store would only enhance the current network they've already invested in.
I totally agree. With Seattle and Yancouver with stores it is only a matter of time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 5:28 PM

H & M

I wonder if Bridgeport Village is trying to woo H & M....

They have space with the Wild Oats closure.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:26 PM

edirp....are you back in Portland?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:53 PM

I would be very peeved if H&M or any large, destination store went to bridgeport or the burbs. Damn bridgeport!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirp View Post
I wonder if Bridgeport Village is trying to woo H & M....

They have space with the Wild Oats closure.
When did Wild Oats close? Probably because Whole Foods moved in across the street...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:57 PM

It's unfortunate they pick suburban locations - at least in Vancouver's case, and in Seattle's - an upscale strip mall. I'm sure that will be the case when they come to Portland.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
When did Wild Oats close? Probably because Whole Foods moved in across the street...
I don't know if it's actually closed yet, but there was this article in the Oregonian a few weeks ago: http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/...230.xml&coll=7

Whole Foods just finished the purchase of Wild Oats and is closing two Wild Oats stores - no sense to own grocery stores across the street from each other.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:11 AM

I hope H & M doesn't go suburban in Portland....downtown!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:55 AM

Love H&M - what a draw that would be for downtown. Probably pull more people than Nordstrom or Macy's if the had a men's store and a women's store. An H&M opened in Pasadena a few months ago and there were lines outside for weeks. I finally went last month (clothes are not worth waiting in line) and it's women's store - no men's clothes!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:24 PM

If anything the Pearl will get it. Downtown Business Association is totally out of touch with today's retail environment. They're probably still talking to Wild Oats about opening up a store.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:34 PM

I don't believe that the DBA is out of touch at all. Retail today is looking for square footage that does not necessary fit into the mode of older construction of dt PDX. As new construction comes online this "new" reality will be resolved. Plus, if more retailers go to the Pearl (which is still dt as far as I am concerned) it is still better than locating in the burbs. Even Lloyd Center, Clackamas TC and Washington Square are good starts.

Last edited by PacificNW; Sep 28, 2007 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:29 PM
Closed account

I would love to see an H&M in the ZGF Tower or Park Ave West but...I would really be surprised if H&M opened their first Oregon store in downtown Portland. On the East coast (NY/NJ/CT specifically) H&M opened a ton of stores in malls in the burbs. These particular malls were not at all like Bridgeport, they were more like Lloyd center or even (dare I say) Mall 205. It seems like H&M's tactic is to open up stores in crappy malls in the burbs and then head towards the center of the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics