HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Will this idea fly?
Yes 13 39.39%
No 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 11:25 PM
working stiff

Damn, so build a $12 million pedestrian bridge I guess

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:11 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Only the original costs will likely be cheaper. Long term costs will likely be higher. Also there is no way a gondola will operate 24 hours, more likely very limited hours.

Speaking of trams, the tramway in Geneva is amazing. We should have a tram system in Winnipeg that runs down major roads (e.g. Pembina, Main, Regent, Portage). Take out the median and use that room for the tram.
Actually I' like to see trams along Corydon, Grant, Stafford, Ellice, Sargent ... the secondary streets, which have lower traffic capacity than the larger streets like Pembina, Main, and Portage... which should be HRT (subway).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:41 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
Damn, so build a $12 million pedestrian bridge I guess
In this town we learn to kill dreams quickly. That probably explains how we went from third to eighth biggest city in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:44 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
But Elmwood Coun. Lillian Thomas trashed the idea, insisting the city should not consider a cable-car connection while a bus rapid transit corridor along Pembina Highway remains unbuilt.
It doesn't surprise me at all that Dr.No was against the idea. This woman has made a career out of not doing too much.

If a transit system such as this can be built at lower cost than a bridge than I say do it. Even if the operating costs of such a system are higher in the long-run, a greater number of Winnipegger's would be able to use the tram and so that must be taken into consideration.

For example, as someone living in NK I might be inclined to park my car at St.Vital Centre and use a park and ride if one existed. Conversely, it seems unlikely that I would drive all the way to the mouth of the campus only to park my car and walk across a bridge.

It's too bad the city doesn't see the merit in this idea.

Such a system could easily become a catalyst for a more sustainable community in an area that is normally dominated by automobiles.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 9, 2008 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:42 AM

Lillian Thomas is such a opprobrious individual. I certainly understand the merits of being conservative and conscious of all ends when looking into the eyes of development. However, nearing two decades of "no" is absurd. It would be refreshing to at least hear her recite her platform or whatever meagre plan is circulating in her mind.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:18 PM
I am a typical

"Winnipeg: Where originality goes to die."

It just wasn't meant to be, I guess. Join the club.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:57 PM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
In this town we learn to kill dreams quickly. That probably explains how we went from third to eighth biggest city in Canada.

Another great idea killed.

Things like this make me just want to leave this province. I don't know how much more I can take of this anti progress small town paced city/province. Everything that is proposed always gets shot down and has tons of opposition (new stadium, tramway, rapid transit) or takes forever to happen like the MTS Centre (10 years too late and too small), Chief peguis trail extension, etc.

Winnipeg seems like the largest small town in the world.....and it wishes to remain that way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
I am a typical

Hey, at least you don't have a 10m height limit.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I think the real problem here is that council is holding out for a full fledged functioning rapid transit system to just fall out of the sky.

If we just bit off a little at a time the transit / traffic situation in south Winnipeg would be so much better.

Just imagine if Katz had built that BRT line out to the U of M, and then a we went ahead and built this Aerial Tramway a few years later.

How awesome would transit service have been?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Seeing how Thomas et al voted is probably the strongest argument for term limits.

Career politicians like her are just warm bodies to fill seats at council meetings. People like her create no value, hold no vision, and become councilors because they can't find work in the private sector.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:49 PM
Back from the dead

^I'll second that opinion.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
For about that much $$, you could have one of these... and carry many, many more people at a time...

A Strasbourg Tram

SOURCE: TrainNet.org. Photo by Martin Schrader
I rode that tram last year...well in 2006. Super nice system in a city that is smaller than Winnipeg...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:46 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Seeing how Thomas et al voted is probably the strongest argument for term limits.

Career politicians like her are just warm bodies to fill seats at council meetings. People like her create no value, hold no vision, and become councilors because they can't find work in the private sector.
I do agree, but then why do the citizens keep voting them in? I would say that the council voted in represent what the majority of people in Winnipeg and what they want for the futur of the city. Winnipeggers need to understand that nothing will get done unless there are proper politicians who are willing to take the appropriate steps towards a brighter futur.

In other words, for all those who bitch about change and don't vote but can (not pointing the finger at any particular person), GET YOUR ASSES OUT THERE AND VOTE IN THE NEXT CIVIC ELECTION FOR GOD'S SAKES!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:49 PM
I am a typical

@Svenn: Yes, but its at least twice as dense and owning a car there isn't as practical.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:50 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

And I will third this opinion, aswell.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:43 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'd also like to point the finger at Transit too. It seems like as a whole this organization is for the status quo.

They we're the first to poo poo an LRT in favour of a BRT, they are against a gondola system, and most of the drivers only grudgingly accept that they now have a social responsibility to call out transit stops.

This is an organization that is still trying to come to terms with the 20th century nevermind the 21st.

It's too bad they forced Rick Borland out. Between the $2 fare hike and all this other nonsense I don't think either city council or transit is serious about getting anything done.

And they wonder why younger people are attacted to a city like Portland and not Winnipeg.

Very dissapointing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 10:47 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I'd also like to point the finger at Transit too. It seems like as a whole this organization is for the status quo.

They we're the first to poo poo an LRT in favour of a BRT, they are against a gondola system, and most of the drivers only grudgingly accept that they now have a social responsibility to call out transit stops.

This is an organization that is still trying to come to terms with the 20th century nevermind the 21st.

It's too bad they forced Rick Borland out. Between the $2 fare hike and all this other nonsense I don't think either city council or transit is serious about getting anything done.

And they wonder why younger people are attacted to a city like Portland and not Winnipeg.

Very dissapointing.
Yup. I love how this city is progressing.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:54 AM
surely you agree with me

since you can simply walk across the river 5 months of the year, the city should just use the other kind of gondola to get people across in the summer.....its way cheaper to build and maintain....and it is only a marginally more ridiculous idea.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:59 AM
I am a typical

If Saskatoon can be the Paris of the North, why can't Winnipeg be the Venice of the north?

Thunder Bay can be Naples!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
since you can simply walk across the river 5 months of the year, the city should just use the other kind of gondola to get people across in the summer.....its way cheaper to build and maintain....and it is only a marginally more ridiculous idea.
It's not a "ridiculous idea", vike, it's "vision". Winnipeg must stop listening to the NOMBYs (not over my backyard) and act more like all those large glamorous cities whose city councils dish out millions for overhead cable car installations, no questions asked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan