HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Both Cambridge Ontario and Cambridge, Massachusetts have big Portuguese populations.
Had no idea. Grew up in Brampton, which has a large Portuguese population close to downtown and of course I've been to Little Portugal a few times in TO.

And I know from TV, like Family Guy, or movies like Mystic Pizza that there's a lot in New England.

But in Cambridge I wasn't aware.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:33 PM
The New Republic

Amish. They're in a small pocket in southern Ontario. Finns seem to be concentrated in Sudbury and Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:47 PM

Finnish and Icelandic added to OP.

Last edited by Docere; Jan 8, 2018 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:51 PM

Thunder Bay is the city with the largest Finnish population outside of Finland. At least that’s what we were always told. I can count on my hand the number of Finnish people I’ve met in Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
West Van (i.e. west of North Van) is also very Persian.

They were the classic wealthy immigrants before Hong Kongers started coming in the 90s.
The West End also has a large Persian community.

Most nationalities tend to have some kind of representation in Vancouver but I’ve never, knowingly, met a Sri Lankan person here and maybe only one or two Jamaican people. Very different from my life in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
North Van may be the most visibly Persian place in Canada (Richmond Hill may have more, but they aren't the most 'visible' immigrant group and the Chinese population is larger).
I heard from my Persian barber that they're starting to move out east to places like Coquitlam and PoCo because of housing prices now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:35 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
I heard from my Persian barber that they're starting to move out east to places like Coquitlam and PoCo because of housing prices now.
How long does it take to commute from Port Coquitlam to DT Vancouver by skytrain?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Pretty much every ethnic group that has a sizable presence in Vancouver has one in Toronto, but there are many groups in Toronto that are barely visible in Van.

Quite different from the situation in the US, where the #2 immigrant hub (Los Angeles) has a lot of groups that are far more represented in sheer numbers than in the NYC area (not just the obvious Mexican presence, but also Armenians, Iranians, Vietnamese etc.)
On the other hand, there's lots of ethnic groups in Montreal (second largest city, just as LA is for the US) that aren't in Toronto or Vancouver. Algerians, Haitians etc.

In the US, the third largest city, Chicago, probably doesn't have that many ethnic groups that aren't also found in NYC.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
They call this area Tehranto lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

I can't make Tehrancouver catch on.
Did these nicknames come after Tehrangeles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Japanese

Total population: 92,920
44.4% in BC (x 3.36)

Metis

Total population: 587,540
44.5% in Prairies (x 2.43)

First Nations

Total population: 977,230
39.1% in Prairies (x 2.14)

It is interesting that even after the displacement and restrictions that occurred during (and for a while after) WW2 that BC is still home to nearly half of Canada’s Japanese population.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Pretty much every ethnic group that has a sizable presence in Vancouver has one in Toronto
What about any Pacific Islander groups of Canadians?

I know there was once a history of Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Canadians in the past in BC, but I don't know how many of their descendants still live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaka...worker)#Canada

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle35511267/

"Indigenous Hawaiians, who crewed transpacific ships, had been settling the Vancouver and Victoria areas since the 1780s, jumping ship to take jobs in the burgeoning fur and later mining and timber industries; in the 19th century, they were recruited and imported by the Hudson's Bay Company.

In the 1830s, Hawaiian Canadians were the single most populous ethnic group employed by the company on the West Coast. By 1851, half the working-age population in Fort Victoria was native Hawaiian. "

And Pacific Islander Americans are concentrated much more on the West coast than anywhere else (though it's not a fair comparison since the US has Pacific territories Canada doesn't).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:11 AM

How about Latin American Canadians?

I know some say that Latin Americans find Quebec or French Canada's culture closer to their own than Anglo Canadians', plus they speak a Romance language, but some Latin American groups seem pretty evenly spaced between provinces. For example, Mexican Canadians don't seem hugely concentrated in one province.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
How long does it take to commute from Port Coquitlam to DT Vancouver by skytrain?
about 45 mins plus travel time to the station. 30 mins on the WCE commuter rail if you want to spend the coin

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:37 AM

Jewish Canadians are very prominently concentrated in a few major cities. Within major cities they tend to be concentrated in distinct areas--ie. Thornhill in Toronto and the Hampstead-Cote de Neiges area in Montreal.

Jewish settlement patterns worldwide are like this. The metropolitan areas of New York and Tel Aviv together have nearly half of the entire world's Jewish population.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:50 AM

Winnipeg must be really Filipino if it has 2 Jollibees, while Toronto and Vancouver have none.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Winnipeg must be really Filipino if it has 2 Jollibees, while Toronto and Vancouver have none.
Jollibees is still fairly new in Canada, give it some time.

Jollibees has roughly thirty or so stores in the Western US I guess as a whole, about twenty something in California. There are locations in places like Skokie, IL and Virginia Beach, already before Toronto and Vancouver, so I'd imagine it won't be long before more Canadian cities get it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:47 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Forget Jollibees, does Winnipeg have a Fiesta Filipino, where you can buy Filipino groceries, get a Filipino haircut, and go to a Filipino restaurant in the same place?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Does Winnipeg have any higher-end Filipino restaurants?

The Filipino places I've gone to have not been very good, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't lower end. Jollibee... doesn't look amazing. When I google it one of the first images includes a 50 cent coupon for a hamburger steak with a side of plain rice.

If you look at Chinese or Indian food in comparison it's easy to find both cheaper and more upscale places. There's also some very tasty and cheap Chinese and Indian food.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:27 AM

2 religious groups that are also ethnic groups in a sense (2011 NHS):

Mennonite

Total population: 175,880
49% in Prairies (x 2.68)

Sikh

Total population: 454,965
44.2% in BC (x 3.35)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:27 AM

Couple Jollibees are opening around TO soon. I've been hearing about this and the Winnipeg opening for a few years now but never actually looked at their food. Now that you guys mentioned it, I googled it and it does not look too appetizing. Though neither does McDs but I'll eat it once in a blue moon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada