HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:32 AM
Reason and Freedom

Of course, this opportunity should have been used to entirely eliminate the Robson Street parkade entrance, the source of one of the building's major urban design flaws. There should be just one entrance and one exit along a single alignment on Howe Street (i.e., the current Howe Street exit should be eliminated and the current Robson Street entrance should be shifted north and converted into the exit). It's precisely the existence of three points of parkade access spread out over two different alignments on Howe Street that necessitated the destruction of the Howe sidewalk and thus the creation of the Howe alcove and thus the impossibility of a proper urban pedestrian experience/interface along Howe.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Of course, this opportunity should have been used to entirely eliminate the Robson Street parkade entrance, the source of one of the building's major urban design flaws. There should be just one entrance and one exit along a single alignment on Howe Street (i.e., the current Howe Street exit should be eliminated and the current Robson Street entrance should be shifted north and converted into the exit). It's precisely the existence of three points of parkade access spread out over two different alignments on Howe Street that necessitated the destruction of the Howe sidewalk and thus the creation of the Howe alcove and thus the impossibility of a proper urban pedestrian experience/interface along Howe.
Ultimately, the alcove is just a colonnade and the ramp is just a pedestrian inaccessible area (like a separated bike lane).

The objectionable part is the blank wall on the building itself.
Likewise, on Howe street, it's the back of the Law Courts building that makes Howe between Smithe & Nelson a dead zone.

Physically, the layout of the exit aisle on Howe next to Robson Square (adjacent to a double treed sidewalk) isn't much different than the separated bike lane on Hornby next to Robson Square (adjacent to a double treed sidewalk). Both are pleasant to walk past (i.e. park-like setting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I took a walk along the Howe Street side today and it is not substantially different than when I posted

Aug.18 '15, my pics
Hey, they spelled NORDSTROM wrong !

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:48 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It seems that the architect team was not talking to the chief of engineering who wasn't talking to the property management who wasn't talking with the owners who didn't talk to the architect. Sounds pretty plausible to me.
Perfect!!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hey, they spelled NORDSTROM wrong !
Okay, how 'bout this one?

And as the sign on the right over the corner says, don't forget about oppening day.

Aug.18 '15, my pics

I wonder what kind of sign might be going in to the left of those doors near the corner.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:59 AM

The Granville side is an improvement over the way it was before but there still is this mid-block stretch that is a little lacking.

Aug.18 '15, my pic

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:22 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Ultimately, the alcove is just a colonnade and the ramp is just a pedestrian inaccessible area (like a separated bike lane).

The objectionable part is the blank wall on the building itself.
But alcoves (or colonnades or arcades) generally create darker, less inviting urban spaces for pedestrians and retailers alike, and the "pedestrian inaccessible area" in this case is not a bike lane but a vehicular lane. And the absence of a sidewalk beyond the building line precludes street trees which provide a buffer between pedestrians and vehicular traffic. Thus, I think the fact there are so many anti-pedestrian elements to begin with is partly responsible for the owner's treatment of the Howe facade as a lost cause. Hence, the blank wall.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:30 AM
life in the present

Quote:
I wonder what kind of sign might be going in to the left of those doors near the corner.
'Another rather lame attempt by James Cheng'

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Aug.18 '15, my pics
does anyone else think it looks like plywood in the under awning areas? honestly it looks like plywood slapped together with random grey doors thrown in for construction. i hope the grey doors aren't staying.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
does anyone else think it looks like plywood in the under awning areas? honestly it looks like plywood slapped together with random grey doors thrown in for construction. i hope the grey doors aren't staying.

Not to me, but that's probably because I've seen the wall up close and in person so I know that's not what it is. It's interesting how the colour looks different (above or below the awnings) depending on the light.

As for those stupid grey doors, they also have them on the Granville side. I'm still hoping that it's one of the last things on their do list is to slap on a coat of paint on so they blend in a little with the rest of the wall.

Aug.18 '15, my pic

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:57 AM

Quote:
As for those stupid grey doors, they also have them on the Granville side. I'm still hoping that it's one of the last things on their do list is to slap on a coat of paint on so they blend in a little with the rest of the wall.
But they match the columns! If the doors are painted then the columns will be yet another disparate element!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

Anyone who thinks that pedestrian face of the building should get a hall pass needs better eyesight.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It seems that the architect team was not talking to the chief of engineering who wasn't talking to the property management who wasn't talking with the owners who didn't talk to the architect. Sounds pretty plausible to me.

I think it is the City who wants the right-hand-turning lane eliminated, and it comes after the fact, not during the planning stage of the Nordstrom building.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 9:48 PM

I do think it's a bit "lame" to "give up" because it's a difficult environment to design.
The same could be said for many alleyways, which are being improved.

The sign next to the door is probably for the Nordstrom restaurant.
I think there'll be after hours elevator access via that door (at least according to the plans).

Did anyone notice the ONLY element on the renovated Nordstrom building to reference the original design?
It's in this McMinsen pic:
Quote:
The Granville side is an improvement over the way it was before but there still is this mid-block stretch that is a little lacking.

Aug.18 '15, my pic
It's the chocolate brown (there's actually a name for the colour but I've forgotten it) on the rectangular pillars at the emergency exits.
That's the same colour as the former EATON'S and the TD Tower curtain wall mullions.

and PS - note how they don't match the lighter gray round columns on the west side of the building.

Pic by me today - wrap unwrapping - looks like sheet rock underneath.\

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 9:22 AM

Pic by me last Friday.

Something is being installed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Not to me, but that's probably because I've seen the wall up close and in person so I know that's not what it is. It's interesting how the colour looks different (above or below the awnings) depending on the light.

Aug.18 '15, my pic
These doors are killing me. As Prometheus said, they're highly visible even from Robson Square. If a Safeway redevelopment in Marpole can afford to extend its wall paneling system to exit doors in a parking area, then there's absolutely no excuse for this. Big thumbs down for Cadillac-Fairview.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 11:58 PM

Maybe they'll come along afterwards and paint them the same colour as the grills.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 12:08 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post

These doors are killing me. As Prometheus said, they're highly visible even from Robson Square.
I have never made any comment about those doors. You are getting me mixed-up with someone else.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
These doors are killing me. As Prometheus said, they're highly visible even from Robson Square. If a Safeway redevelopment in Marpole can afford to extend its wall paneling system to exit doors in a parking area, then there's absolutely no excuse for this. Big thumbs down for Cadillac-Fairview.
The alcove looks so sterile that bacteria would have trouble growing there...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Thank you for the update.

So, this photo confirms that they are reclaiming the Robson Street sidewalk by eliminating the exit lane for the Robson & Howe parkade entrance. Cars that want to access that entrance will now have to make a normal right hand turn at the restored corner of Robson & Howe. But this means the entire reason for the recess along the building's Robson facade has been eliminated. Why wouldn't Cadillac Fairview reclaim that valuable floor space?

Okay, now you've got me watching this corner and wondering how it's all going to turn out. Some new pics.

Aug.26 '15, my pics

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:48 AM
Reason and Freedom

Although it is clearly the case that they are reclaiming the Robson exit lane and converting it into sidewalk, I should not have said that cars will now have to make a "normal" right turn at the corner of Robson & Howe to access the parkade entrance. As your photos make clear, cars will still be able to shortcut across the corner of Robson & Howe to access the entrance ramp. Indeed, there would be no other way to access that ramp.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver