HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 11:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I feel like the bus TOD will primarily boost highrise construction on the Ashland Ave and Chicago Ave routes which have DX zoning.

I'd honestly be happy with 60'-80' midrises if we can get them in the couple of dozens. The new bus TOD also applies to RM-5/6, so we might finally see more midrise development on the side streets. There will still be push back from NIMBYs until aldermanic prerogative can be killed
If you're just talking Ashland/Chicago, that's a tiny amount of sites. Ashland is only DX zoned (on the east side) from 290 to Ogden, and Chicago from the lake to Ogden. Out of those stretches, most are already eligible for TOD because of rail stations.

No I assume the biggest change will be along the corridors in already desirable neighborhoods like Ukranian Village, Wicker Park and Lakeview. There are certainly focal point intersections (like Ashland/Diversey or Chicago/Western) where you would expect to see more density than there is.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahshead View Post
Can we get an update on the Bush Temple Tower when someone has the chance? Wondering when that one will be complete.
Dec 19

Dec 28

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 8:45 PM

Chicago on my table

Hello. 10-15 year lurker here (pretty much on a daily basis). First off, I have to thank so many of you who have provided so much useful and interesting information over the years. Very Much Appreciated!!!!

Anyway, about a year ago, a NY-based company made a few posts about their niche skyline product on the forum. Anyway, I skeptically took the plunge and just received my first shipment yesterday, so I thought that I would share some pics and my thoughts. Personally, I'm ecstatic about the product and plan to expand it over the years. As someone who dwells on skylines as much as I do (and as many of you do), it is a must have.

I had a little fun with my skyline by adding a few Lego structures to (loosely) represent a few recent & proposed towers. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 10:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Welcome to the forum, and holy moly! That looks fantastic! Great way to introduce yourself

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 10:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Damn I thought I lurked for a long time before joining. Now that's restraint. Welcome aboard!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 11:22 PM

56Huron

Dec 28

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN60654 View Post

Mother of God.

Wow, this cool

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:41 AM

that is great.... welcome

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:21 PM

The parcel at Ogden and Fulton is fenced off and the little modern corner building is gone. There was already construction signage up (Clark if I remember correctly) so it looks like this office project is about to break ground. This one will really help extend Fulton Market district West.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN60654 View Post
Hello. 10-15 year lurker here (pretty much on a daily basis). First off, I have to thank so many of you who have provided so much useful and interesting information over the years. Very Much Appreciated!!!!

Anyway, about a year ago, a NY-based company made a few posts about their niche skyline product on the forum. Anyway, I skeptically took the plunge and just received my first shipment yesterday, so I thought that I would share some pics and my thoughts. Personally, I'm ecstatic about the product and plan to expand it over the years. As someone who dwells on skylines as much as I do (and as many of you do), it is a must have.

I had a little fun with my skyline by adding a few Lego structures to (loosely) represent a few recent & proposed towers. Hope you enjoy the pics!

<snip>
WANT. From a bit of googling, looks like Microscape is the company. How are you planning to have it set up long term? The full set seems to be 3 ft x 3 ft, which is not a small amount of space.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:33 PM

360 W Erie

Dec 18

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 8:09 PM

Dec 19

Dec 28

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 9:58 PM

210 N Carpenter

Dec 19

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 10:26 PM

Gr333n

Dec 11

Dec 17

Dec 18

Dec 19

Dec 23

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 12:55 AM

Alta Grand Central

Dec 17

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 1:25 AM

Nice updates! Can't wait to see more

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 7:08 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
But how cool would it be if it started to deviate from that mold and grew limbs out along the 'L'. Similar to that of Younge Street in Toronto and the subway that runs below it.
I've wanted that for Chicago ever since the first time I flew into Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This new proposal is only for the parking garage. The empty lot will be a 7-story expansion of MDA City Apartments.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The Blue Line corridor under Milwaukee, and certainly the Brown Line, have too much historic building stock to be replaced en masse with highrises. Toronto never had that. It’s the Green Line along Lake that could add serious density all the way to Garfield Park. Plenty of parking lots and vacant land to be build up. That would be cool.

Chicago will have a sort of cruciform skyline rather than linear. And that will create four unique panoramas when you think about it, as well as maximising views from and of individual buildings.
There are more parts of the Brown Line that could be expanded up than it may seem at first glance.

Chicago already had had some, but has space for more. Division obviously already has been but needs a stop. If a stop were added at Halsted, that could be true there, to. Fullerton has that surface lot at Sheffield and Fullerton and then had had the tall midrise on Lincoln and the Children's replacement. Diversey stop is surrounded by strip malls and several parcels ripe for redevelopment. Belmont is pretty tight, but within two blocks are several places significantly tall buildings could be placed, like that bank near the new Target. Southport isn't a candidate, but the area between Paulina and Addison and leading a few blocks north of Addison has significant potential. Irving Park and Montrose have some single story buildings between the'L' and Metra tracks that probably just need a zoning change to shoot up. Damen is pretty tight but there are a few lots on Lawrence with potential. Western could practically turn into downtown Evanston if there was a will and demand. And then at Kimball that bank could be redeveloped, and the strip mall, to speak nothing if the CTA selling air rights to their Yard.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 10:52 AM

^ I’m sure the parcels of land exist. But right behind those strip malls are quite expensive houses and NIMBYs, so I don’t think you’d be able to push through any Toronto/Yonge St type TOD development. Those strip malls will eventually be replaced by mid-rises, but that’s it.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:00 PM
The City

As has been established before, you can have density without tall buildings.

Especially if you reduce setback and parking requirements, which the TOD zoning allows.

I see no reason that Chicago needs to copy Toronto. Canadian cities are nice with their high rise developments, but generic in my POV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:29 PM

Exactly, I'd rather see Chicago fill in it's fabric of 3-5 floor neighboods punctuated by Midrise corridors and keep the high-rises downtown. I feel that's why Lincoln Yards is half baked, we don't need 50 floor buildings North of North Ave off the lakefront.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations