HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 2:07 AM

I do like the natural light into the arena. It seems to mimic the high windows from old industrial buildings like the railyards and old factories around town. Nice touch.

We shall see what happens soon enough.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
I do like the natural light into the arena. It seems to mimic the high windows from old industrial buildings like the railyards and old factories around town. Nice touch.

We shall see what happens soon enough.
Yeah, I like the interior as well. I'm not so sure of the exterior. I was hoping for a retro-modern look, something like Conseco Fieldhouse in Indiana, FedEx Forum in Memphis, ATT Center in San Antonio, or American Airlines Center in Dallas. The design as it stands looks too trendy, out of place for Sacramento.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Yeah, I like the interior as well. I'm not so sure of the exterior. I was hoping for a retro-modern look, something like Conseco Fieldhouse in Indiana, FedEx Forum in Memphis, ATT Center in San Antonio, or American Airlines Center in Dallas. The design as it stands looks too trendy, out of place for Sacramento.
Honestly, it's time to break up the overwhelmingly conservative architectural trend in this city. Let's give this city a gem of the 21st Century worthy of being a counterpart to our majestic capitol. When I think of this arena, I thought they might do something more to incorporate the idea of the Kings, something like making it look like a crown or something. Tastefully done, of course.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:09 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
When I think of this arena, I thought they might do something more to incorporate the idea of the Kings, something like making it look like a crown or something. Tastefully done, of course.
Would a castle be going too far?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Honestly, it's time to break up the overwhelmingly conservative architectural trend in this city. Let's give this city a gem of the 21st Century worthy of being a counterpart to our majestic capitol. When I think of this arena, I thought they might do something more to incorporate the idea of the Kings, something like making it look like a crown or something. Tastefully done, of course.
I was thinking more along the lines of having a retro look, perhaps made of brick, and having a locomotive, representing Sac's rail history, standing outside the main gates.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:50 PM
Hindrance to Development

Not sure how a building the size of an arena could look "retro" no matter the construction material--and plopping a locomotive in front of the arena doesn't serve much purpose. A modern building can look modern. Although none of these renderings actually show what the building looks like...there is only one partial view of the exterior, and the clearest thing in the rendering is the Church of Scientology building across the pedestrian pathway (which looks like dirt for some reason) from the big arena window thing.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Iirc, the renderings for the Kings arena that was suppose to go at the Cal Expo was something along those lines. I agree this should reflect the Kings identity not Indiana.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:27 AM

They are just early renderings to whip up a bit of visual excitement. They have to go through a bunch of steps once the team staying decision is made. They need to do the site planning, before ever getting to design and review with the owners and city.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:41 AM
Hindrance to Development

Okay, so the actual arena could end up looking nothing like what we see in the renderings?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 9:24 PM
Resu Deretsiger

we win

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 9:25 PM
Kodachrome

I'll believe the good news when the Sacramento kings start selling tickets
for the 2013-2014 season and the city can actually show how there will
be enough parking revenue to pay for everything they have promised.

It’s kinda sad that the city can find money to build an arena but can’t
keep the city’s 12 public pools open without a supermarket from
Modesto raising money to keep them open.

Last edited by innov8; Apr 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 10:50 PM

Now that the decision has been made, I sure hope a second look at the railyards is given. I liked the Downtown Plaza as a lifestyle center plan much better and it would reap more benefits being down the road from the railyards.

If that tweak was made, Sacramento would be on the verge of one helluva downtown plan.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 11:29 PM

My first thought is: where am going to go to the gym?

It looks like the recently remodeled 24-hour fitness is going to be bulldozed, along with the 1000 parking spaces under it.

:/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 12:59 AM

Sac Kings are staying it seems. If they stay, the sight of cranes and sounds of devepment will be in down town sac, and now that cal pers has recovered all of their losses, they will no doubt capitalize on the arena project by building something worthwhile on the empty lot...SAC IS BACK

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post

Don't you read the news? City funded all the pools this year except for the one that had extensive repairs before it could reopen.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:

Yes! Pools! Let's focus on pools because they generate massive amounts of revenue, employ thousands of people, and bring in boat loads of tax dollars!

Let's not build an arena, and use that money to build more pools!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 2:35 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
I'm with you on this comment innov8... It still hasn't passed the entire NBA board, only the committee. When tickets go on sale, then I'll start to believe that it may be possible. I still have a great belief in the ability of Sacramento's "leaders" to screw things up...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 5:36 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Don't you read the news? City funded all the pools this year except for the one that had extensive repairs before it could reopen.
That’s great to hear, although hours are greatly reduced and many are
closed two or more days during the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeFutbolero View Post
Yes! Pools! Let's focus on pools because they generate massive amounts of revenue, employ thousands of people, and bring in boat loads of tax dollars!
Let's not build an arena, and use that money to build more pools!
Build new pools? Who said anything about that? It’s about residents paying
taxes with the understanding that the city will provide promised services.
Closing city pools and schools will drive families to the suburbs, not attract
them. With seven schools set to close in the next couple months, that
should be telling that the city is going in the wrong direction.
Build new pools? Don’t be such a rube NikeFutbolero.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:07 AM

For the life of me I can't figure out why people don't understand that if public places are closing for lack of funds, then you must generate funds to fix the problem. Public schools and public pools are takers, not money generators. So the city must find ways to generate extra income that can then be used to keep these places open or pay for more firefighters and all those causes. Not having an arena does not mean more public pools will stay open. On the other hand, investing in a project that can generate extra revenue for the city can make it possible for public places to stay open.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 8:09 PM

I still think there's a possibility the Kings go to Seattle - just not next season. While the relocation committee urged that the Kings stay put, we still aren't sure who will own them. The committee could favor Hansen and tell them to play in Sac until their arena is resolved. Plus, the Maloofs refused to sell to Sacramento. The Kings might remain in Sacramento for one more season and reapply for relocation next year.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/sonics/201...th-sacramento/
Kings fight ain’t over — Maloofs say ‘no acceptable deal possible’ with Sacramento

According to Reuters, Hansen and the Maloofs may try to convince the NBA Board of Governors to approve the sale of the Kings to Hansen's group anyway.

The idea, this source said, would be for Hansen to persuade NBA owners to support his efforts to buy the team, even if they do not immediately allow him to move it.

Under the NBA's rules, a decision to relocate a team is separate from a decision to sell a team. So under this scenario, the league could support its committee's recommendation against moving the Kings to Seattle, while still supporting the Hansen group's efforts to purchase it.

The league could require Hansen to work in good faith with the city of Sacramento to try to keep the team there, setting a deadline for the construction of a new arena and working to keep attendance high at the games.

But if the arena wasn't built according to the schedule, or if attendance slipped at the games, Hansen could apply again for permission to move the team - and it could be more likely to be granted, this source said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area