HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And further to the above:

Moncton Miracles announce new local ownership group
NBL Canada commissioner David Magley on hand to introduce new investors
By David Bartlett, CBC News Posted: Apr 21, 2016 12:23 PM AT
Last Updated: Apr 21, 2016 12:23 PM AT

Seven local investors have taken over ownership of the Moncton Miracles of the National Basketball League Canada.

The new owners group will include former city solicitor Steve Truman, who is the team's president, and businessmen Jon Manship of Moncton and Ricky Archibald of Salisbury. The other four members of the group want to remain silent partners.

"It's exciting, to have not only investors but actual owners that want to be locally engaged," said NBL Commissioner David Magley on Information Morning Moncton on Thursday.

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ship-1.3546311

Now, if only they could start winning basketball games.......

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

And further to the above:

Moncton Miracles announce new local ownership group
NBL Canada commissioner David Magley on hand to introduce new investors
By David Bartlett, CBC News Posted: Apr 21, 2016 12:23 PM AT
Last Updated: Apr 21, 2016 12:23 PM AT

Seven local investors have taken over ownership of the Moncton Miracles of the National Basketball League Canada.

The new owners group will include former city solicitor Steve Truman, who is the team's president, and businessmen Jon Manship of Moncton and Ricky Archibald of Salisbury. The other four members of the group want to remain silent partners.

"It's exciting, to have not only investors but actual owners that want to be locally engaged," said NBL Commissioner David Magley on Information Morning Moncton on Thursday.

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ship-1.3546311

Now, if only they could start winning basketball games.......
So true. I can't believe they signed the coach to a 3 year contract when his record is as bad as any other coach the team has had!

I thought maybe his coaching record was better elsewhere, but can't find any stats on that. I know he was part of a dleague coaching team that won a championship, but he was the assistant coach, not head coach.

Oh well, not my money.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 4:13 PM

The NBL playoffs for Atlantic teams kicked off last night in Saint John with the Mill Rats defeating Moncton by 30 points in Game #1.

Game #2 of the 5 games series goes tonight in Saint John and the Halifax/PEI series kicks off in Halifax.

If you have not been to an NBL game yet and live in one of these cities I strongly recommend you check it out. Tickets can be relatively inexpensive in some sections and the entertainment value is outstanding!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 1:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T. a new team may be added to the Central Division to counterbalance the addition of the Cape Breton Highlanders to the Maritime Division. Apparently Kitchener/Waterloo is close to signing on. This will give the NBL 10 teams.

In addition, the paper stated that Montreal and Sudbury might join in the next two years and that several cities in western Canada are exploring their options.

Obviously, this would all require divisional realignment.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Halifax Hurricanes topple London Lightning to win first-ever NBL Canada title

The 'Canes edged the London Lightning 125-117 in Game 7 of the best-of-seven championship series Monday night at the Scotiabank Centre.

By: Kristen Lipscombe Metro Published on Mon Jun 13 2016

Read more here:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...form=hootsuite

https://twitter.com/NEWS957/status/7...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Quote:
The @hfxhurricanes are @NBLCanada Champs. Final 125-117 over London in game 7. @CTVAtlantic https://t.co/3Hp6Xir68w

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 7:31 PM

The Saint John Mills Rats have changed their name to the Saint John Riptide

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton Miracles are DEAD!!!!

Long live the Moncton Magic!!!
http://huddle.today/miracles-moncton...w-looks-magic/

The new team will have a strong local ownership group with deep pockets, and the resources to put a winning franchise on the court.

The owners will be:
- Jon Manship - founder of Spielo Gaming International (since sold for oodles of money), and now a strong local investor, especially in start-ups.
- David Booth - Chairman and CEO of BackOffice Associates, a global governance and stewardship platform company headquartered in Northern Virginia. He has business and family ties to Moncton.
- Jeremy Milburn - founder and president of Global Drafting Services, a local entrepreneur and an avid basketball fan who has supported pro basketball in Moncton since its beginning.

This is big news for the basketball community in Moncton, and for the whole NBL. Although the Miracles were never a strong franchise (on the court), they drew well and were considered a linchpin team in the league, and an important anchor for the Atlantic Division. Now with a strong ownership group, the successor Magic should be able to become a premier franchise in the league........

Jon Manship will serve as the team president.

Since Robert Irving and Jon Manship are two of the wealthiest people in the city, it is only fitting that they will be owners of the two top sports franchises in the city (Magic & Wildcats).

I expect an excellent game day experience, especially when the team moves to the new events centre in 2018.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:37 PM

is this a completely new franchise, or did they buy the miracles. The article did not really say.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
is this a completely new franchise, or did they buy the miracles. The article did not really say.
They talked about it on TV, and from what they said it's a completely new franchise the only thing similar is Moncton in there name, and there team location (Where they will play).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
They talked about it on TV, and from what they said it's a completely new franchise the only thing similar is Moncton in there name, and there team location (Where they will play).
You're probably right. I'm going to assume it's a similar situation to the Halifax Rainmen/Hurricanes

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:39 AM

XL 96 WAS asking on its news segment where the 40 grand the city gave to the Miracles in April is/went? interesting

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I read an article in the Times-Transcript today that states the league will be picking up any debt owed by the Miracles, and that the Magic are a brand new franchise that is not affiliated with the former Miracles.

It also said that the Miracles never had a season where they hit the salary cap of $150,000, and that they fell approx. $30,000 short of that cap in 2016-17. Hopefully new ownership will fix that and bring an even higher quality of talent to the city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:38 AM

Last year, I attended my first ever, and only ever Canadian NBL game at the Coliseum. And I must say, for someone who hates basketball, watching NBA on TV that is, I was immensely impressed with the atmosphere, the game play and all round experience. Worth every penny of the price of admission.

But for some reason, I never went back. Could be because I detest going to any events at the Coliseum.

Anyhoot, brought the good camera gear and snapped some decent pics.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:16 AM

I'm the exact same as you. Never watched Bball on \Tv in my life, never liked the game, and got free tickets one night to the Miracles and THOROUGHLY enjoyed myself.
It's a great entertainment product with exceptional value. Yet for some reason, the only time I seem to go is when someone springs for free tickets for me, even though I love it every single time.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Sudbury ON is joining the NBL next season too.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:44 PM

St. John's was working towards getting a team for next season, but Mile One Centre decided they wanted 100% of advertisement revenue along with 100% of concession sales. The team isn't financially feasible on ticket sales alone.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
St. John's was working towards getting a team for next season, but Mile One Centre decided they wanted 100% of advertisement revenue along with 100% of concession sales. The team isn't financially feasible on ticket sales alone.
Can't be too greedy. Now Mile One will be left with no tenants at all next year.......

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:24 PM

It's a shame there isn't any interest (apparently) in getting Freddy involved in this league. Probably because we don't really have any big-wallets that can get behind a team, combined with UNB being the only site for a proper court and UNB not being interested in non-University sports teams.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Can't be too greedy. Now Mile One will be left with no tenants at all next year.......
We've been down this road before, it does no one any favours. Mile One already receives a decent subsidy from the city, and I'll be against an increase in tax dollar going to them because it's sitting empty for the year, when they could have at least had an anchor tenant drawing in some income if they weren't so god damn greedy.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It's a shame there isn't any interest (apparently) in getting Freddy involved in this league. Probably because we don't really have any big-wallets that can get behind a team, combined with UNB being the only site for a proper court and UNB not being interested in non-University sports teams.
I've always thought Fredericton would be a nice addition to the Atlantic Division. Even if they had trouble working out a deal with the Aitken Centre at the university, the city owns another arena on the south side, the Grant-Harvey Centre.
It seats 1,500, but if you add in court side seating and standing room, it may be closer to 2,000.

http://www.tourismfredericton.ca/en/...-harvey-centre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces