HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:29 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The largest amount of room for the whole project has been set aside by the lake. Where it will be tightest is the portion from Rothesay to Gateway.

I can't believe they are planning for lights at Gateway/Raleigh. How expensive can it be to build a simple "diamond" style over/underpass?
I was wondering about what would happen at Gateway / Raleigh too.

More importantly, if the city ever decides to add some form of BRT / LRT to the Marconi line then you'd have a real mess on your hands.

As someone living in NK, I'd rather the city put off this project for another 5 years and do it right. It seems like too many short cuts are being taken to appease a small handful of voters.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:31 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

All of this talk reminds me of the fabled new interchange the province was supposed to build at the Perimeter and Lag.

What the heck ever happened to that proposal anyways?

I heard that it would've been pretty elaborate with several flyovers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:35 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
All of this talk reminds me of the fabled new interchange the province was supposed to build at the Perimeter and Lag.

Well, if it took 30 years to build the two-lane connection of the perimeter, then you shouldn't be shocked on the slowness of that interchange progression. I'm actually expecting them to say the cost is too high and that there will be just a set of lights to control the intersection

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

It is being built in 2009. The province has set aside over $80 mil for the balance of the NE portion of the Perimeter (Twinning and Bridge - and there is very little twinning left, so the bulk of that money is for the interchange) est at approx $50-60 mil. Preliminary grading happened last summer and design is supposed to occur in 2008.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
There's no proven benefit to building fancy new roads. Traffic levels don't neccicitate it, and once the novelty factor has died off, the city will bear the huge cost of maintaining it.

Build the economy first, roads later.

Look at a map of Winnipeg and you will notice that there is no major east-west roadway from the Disraeli to the north perimeter. All of the minor east-west routes in this quadrant of the city experience traffic volumes for which they were never designed. (ie. McLeod, Munroe, McIvor etc.) The novelty factor you cite is what, less traffic on these once quiet residential streets as it will have shifted to the new Chief Peguis corridor?

Have you been to Vancouver lately where for 20 years they did nothing to upgrade their roadways and are now left with 24 hour gridlock and the loss of productivity it has caused.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 5:40 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
I was wondering about what would happen at Gateway / Raleigh too.

More importantly, if the city ever decides to add some form of BRT / LRT to the Marconi line then you'd have a real mess on your hands.

As someone living in NK, I'd rather the city put off this project for another 5 years and do it right. It seems like too many short cuts are being taken to appease a small handful of voters.
This project has been on the books for decades.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 7:37 AM
Mr. Winnipeg

I really hope they make the expansion.

I live in Eaglemere, and trust me, Mcleod is a nice quiet street, but during rush hour is unbelieavle how far back he line ups go.

Same with Molson.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 5:44 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Springfield Rd. is a freakin disaster too..

Knowing how visionary our city is, I have a hunch this new 'expressway' will be riddled with lights and at-grade crossings.

They'll probably throw up a few photo camera's for good measure just to ensure that nobody gets anywhere quickly.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Apr 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 5:57 PM
Closed account

The only lights would be at Raleigh/Gateway and of course, Henderson and Lagimodiere.

Raleigh will be downgraded to local access (from McIvor to Springfield) will tie in to Gateway which will become the main thoroughfare.

Lagimodiere intersection will initially be a T, Phase 2 would include a four-way design and long range plans call for an interchange. Springfield Road will likely be severed and terminate in cul-de-sac either side of the new Chief Peguis Trail. Douglas Avenue will be partially closed between Raleigh and Rothesay.

Henderson long range plans also call for an interchange and park and ride lot.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 8:34 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
The only lights would be at Raleigh/Gateway and of course, Henderson and Lagimodiere.

Raleigh will be downgraded to local access (from McIvor to Springfield) will tie in to Gateway which will become the main thoroughfare.

Lagimodiere intersection will initially be a T, Phase 2 would include a four-way design and long range plans call for an interchange. Springfield Road will likely be severed and terminate in cul-de-sac either side of the new Chief Peguis Trail. Douglas Avenue will be partially closed between Raleigh and Rothesay.

Very interesting fengshui, you've been a real asset to the conversation..

One question, when you say long term are we talking about in my lifetime or my grandchildren's?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:09 PM
Closed account

Long range likely means 15+ years...
Our firm did not win the design competition, so I'm afraid that is the end of any more detailed info from me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:

Every intersection on ths Trail should be interchanges, and if not, then no access and build a bridge over the Trail. Screw the lights. This should be a full-blown expressway!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Every intersection on ths Trail should be interchanges, and if not, then no access and build a bridge over the Trail. Screw the lights. This should be a full-blown expressway!
Yup .. that sounds good to me. Winnipeg would really look good with a few expressways.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 8:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Long range likely means 15+ years...
Our firm did not win the design competition, so I'm afraid that is the end of any more detailed info from me.
Who won?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 8:25 PM
Closed account

U M A

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:30 PM

I'm wondering if this project will be cancelled due to rising construction costs. This project should be given priority over the twinning of Inkster Blvd.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Do you think the Chief Peguis Trail extension would have been postponed if it was in south Winnipeg, chances are NO!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:57 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

They shouldn't. It's desperately needed. Springfield Rd is already bursting in its seams.

It would be a big mistake if they cancelled it, let alone postpone it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:53 PM

I live near the area and have very recently noticed traffic counters on every west/east street south of where it would be..

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:02 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Do you think the Chief Peguis Trail extension would have been postponed if it was in south Winnipeg, chances are NO!
I don't think that's true - how many years did it take to get the Kenaston underpass built??? Rest assured Chief Peguis will be built, the question is how long it will take, since new projects will probably have a hard time competing for money with repairs given the construction inflation right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan