HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Tender is out today on the City of Winnipeg bid site.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2013&YEAR=2013
Wow it actually happened today!

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^That is for the Shoo-Fly Detour and underground works. The full project will be out in summer.
You are right, I am just sitting here are work looking at the specs and thought that something was missing from the drawings.

At least its the start of the project.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 7:32 PM

[QUOTE=cllew;6132227]From the latest status report to the City of Winnipeg Standing Committee on Finance:

High Risk:
• CN Rail
o CN Rail is supplying rail track for the project and has indicated it will take six months for
delivery. To expedite the supply while an agreement is outstanding, CN Rail was
provided with a Purchase Order Number for their works in January, 2013. In late March,
2013, CN Rail requested a Letter of Intent from the City of Winnipeg before ordering the
materials. A Single Source Negotiation and Award Report for these works will be
submitted to the CFO for approval. The rail needs to be delivered to the site prior to
September 1, 2013

o CN Rail requires sealed drawings for all pipeline crossings, including the temporary
shoofly. To expedite the approvals, all utilities have been instructed to notify our design
consultant when the drawings are submitted who will follow-up with CN Rail’s approvals
office in Edmonton

Just for interest sake, the above underlined quote is one big pile of bung. CN already has the material sitting in its East yard. This is the same material that was taken from the shoo-fly bridge at the Floodway on the N/S of Dugald Rd. (hwy. 15) four years ago. Materials that was already paid for by the good people of Manitoba through the Winnipeg Floodway Authority when they did the 'raising' of the floodway bull-ding for the 700 year flood. I may have been born at night but not last night. I watched the bastards carry it away to the East yards like thieves in the night. How do you steal a bridge?

While we're on the subject, where did they cart the CN mainline bridge on the S/S of #1 highway?

CN and their US management are thieves and only care about their bottom line. If the good people of Manitoba feel like they been raped, and want know who the culprits are, stay tuned to this page for updates.

Coming soon!

Sammy isn't coming to the table with clean hands either. Russ Wyatt will be washing the feet of the chosen one sooner than he thinks. The shit is close to the fan now.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 8:28 PM

Wasn't the temp bridge south of #1 used for the CP Keewatin floodway shoe-fly detour bridge? I know the plan at one time was to reuse the bridge structures to save money.

I thought the temp bridges were the property of the Floodway Authority as they are the ones paying for the construction.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 9:29 PM

If CN carted that rail away four years ago, it's long gone. Rail takes time to order, as it is in high demand right now. Not impossible to get in a tight timeline. But much easier for CN to procure than a contractor. Either way, it's expensive but necessary for these types of projects. And just to top it of, CN was there prior to the road.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If CN carted that rail away four years ago, it's long gone. Rail takes time to order, as it is in high demand right now. Not impossible to get in a tight timeline. But much easier for CN to procure than a contractor. Either way, it's expensive but necessary for these types of projects. And just to top it of, CN was there prior to the road.
The rail is not the big deal, its the bridges and girders that they stole from the good people of Manitoba, you and I.

Our lazy Government authorities, who are suppose to be the 'watch dogs' of our hard-earned money, let big business walk away with two bridges. Girders from the Dugald Road bridge were taken to the East yards of Transcona, pretty hard to hide a bridge! Now, CN wants and open work order from the good people of Winnipeg for materials to build a shoo-fly at Plessis. Outrageous! The bastards should be strung up with the same umbelical cord that brought them into this world, why waste good rope!

The rail that was used for the shoo-fly was put back on the same cars that brought it to Dugald Rd. floodway. If the City is looking for rail, I know where there is a useless rail line that runs south of Dugald Rd. to Manitoba Hydro's yard that the good people of Manitoba paid for in their newly increased bills. For the one-time it will be used to bring in new transformers to the Hydro yard, the city might as well get some use out of it.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
The rail is not the big deal, its the bridges and girders that they stole from the good people of Manitoba, you and I.

Our lazy Government authorities, who are suppose to be the 'watch dogs' of our hard-earned money, let big business walk away with two bridges. Girders from the Dugald Road bridge were taken to the East yards of Transcona, pretty hard to hide a bridge! Now, CN wants and open work order from the good people of Winnipeg for materials to build a shoo-fly at Plessis. Outrageous! The bastards should be strung up with the same umbelical cord that brought them into this world, why waste good rope!

The rail that was used for the shoo-fly was put back on the same cars that brought it to Dugald Rd. floodway. If the City is looking for rail, I know where there is a useless rail line that runs south of Dugald Rd. to Manitoba Hydro's yard that the good people of Manitoba paid for in their newly increased bills. For the one-time it will be used to bring in new transformers to the Hydro yard, the city might as well get some use out of it.
That line is sort of a boondoggle in itself and may never be used.

The real heavy transformers had to be taken by road crawler last fall as somebody found that the clearance on the CN tracks between the Pauwls Plant in Fort Gary and the new Riel terminal station had changed after the transformers were in production.

If anybody is wondering why the crossing was never put in on Hwy 15, its due to a requirement from Manitoba Highways that Hydro would have to pay to have it signalized and maintained even if its never regularly used. By leaving the gap there is no ongoing cost to them.

They had an agreement with Highways that they could put a temp crossing in and use flaggers if and when a heavy move was made

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
That line is sort of a boondoggle in itself and may never be used.

The real heavy transformers had to be taken by road crawler last fall as somebody found that the clearance on the CN tracks between the Pauwls Plant in Fort Gary and the new Riel terminal station had changed after the transformers were in production.

If anybody is wondering why the crossing was never put in on Hwy 15, its due to a requirement from Manitoba Highways that Hydro would have to pay to have it signalized and maintained even if its never regularly used. By leaving the gap there is no ongoing cost to them.

They had an agreement with Highways that they could put a temp crossing in and use flaggers if and when a heavy move was made
Earlier this Spring, private crews built the link of rails to complete the 'gap' over Hwy 15 and laid it out, on top of the rails, to be used as required this year. Manitoba Hydro, in its wisdom, is never wrong, no matter how wrong they are. They believe that they can pull out the rail patch-over and it will fit in-place when they require it. That's a joke, because the weight of the rail and ties will pull apart and the rail length will have to be re-sized to fit the gap. I can just see 4 to 5 thousand highway users having to slow down or even stop, to crawl over the rail line that they pull into place for a couple of days. Hydro would have been better off, off-loading the necessary goods at Cargil's siding on to multi-wheeled trucks to be taken over to Riel stationI should send them a bill for consulting fees. I sit with baited breath and wait.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Earlier this Spring, private crews built the link of rails to complete the 'gap' over Hwy 15 and laid it out, on top of the rails, to be used as required this year. Manitoba Hydro, in its wisdom, is never wrong, no matter how wrong they are. They believe that they can pull out the rail patch-over and it will fit in-place when they require it. That's a joke, because the weight of the rail and ties will pull apart and the rail length will have to be re-sized to fit the gap. I can just see 4 to 5 thousand highway users having to slow down or even stop, to crawl over the rail line that they pull into place for a couple of days. Hydro would have been better off, off-loading the necessary goods at Cargil's siding on to multi-wheeled trucks to be taken over to Riel stationI should send them a bill for consulting fees. I sit with baited breath and wait.
You're right, Hydro's never wrong Honestly though, Hydro is such a mess. There's a bunch of different groups within Hydro that had input to the rail line.

Anyway, the movements across the highway would be done overnight on weekends. So shut down evening of the Saturday, reopening morning of the Sunday type thing. There would be no traffic crossing the rail line when movements are going on. And it would be train goes in one night, comes out another night. The rail panels would be placed directly on the asphalt of the highway, which was paved incorrectly. So they milled it down last fall, I believe, to have a flatter cross-fall. When the panels would be installed, they should match up fairly well. There will be no issues with moving the panels. It would be done with excavators or loaders and chains most likely. But you're correct, there will be some field fitting going on.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:42 PM

Well, not much progress on the roadway. The stakes that were driven in the ground that I reported on May 14th, have been removed (Hydro must have a more important project somewhere else ) and we now have a few red and pink lines painted on the pavement. The tracks are getting bumpier and the loon shit that supports the tracks is squeezing out on the roadway.

I was looking at the plans that were posted and I compliment the individuals for their efforts in keeping us up-to-date . If someone had asked me, I would have suggested going over the tracks and Dugald Rd. instead of digging down to Hell trying to find some solid ground. White clay silt doesn't make a very good base for a roadway. Dugald Rd. to the east doesn't afford a very good roadway for long range plans because of width limitation (99") thru South Transcona. Any roadwork money spent would be better off spent on a St.Boniface Rd. extension to the south and Springfield Rd. to Oakbank connection to the North. The reason being, trying to run 4 lanes of traffic down Dugald Rd. past the Malt plant using proper lane widths is going to be like trying to poke butter up a wild cat's asz with a hot awl. It ain't going to work, but we need some East/West access in the Transcona area.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 5:16 PM

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2013&YEAR=2013

Track construction tender is out for Plessis. Not to be confused with the utility and track grading tender that has now closed.

Quote:
Well, not much progress on the roadway. The stakes that were driven in the ground that I reported on May 14th, have been removed (Hydro must have a more important project somewhere else ) and we now have a few red and pink lines painted on the pavement. The tracks are getting bumpier and the loon shit that supports the tracks is squeezing out on the roadway.

I was looking at the plans that were posted and I compliment the individuals for their efforts in keeping us up-to-date . If someone had asked me, I would have suggested going over the tracks and Dugald Rd. instead of digging down to Hell trying to find some solid ground. White clay silt doesn't make a very good base for a roadway. Dugald Rd. to the east doesn't afford a very good roadway for long range plans because of width limitation (99") thru South Transcona. Any roadwork money spent would be better off spent on a St.Boniface Rd. extension to the south and Springfield Rd. to Oakbank connection to the North. The reason being, trying to run 4 lanes of traffic down Dugald Rd. past the Malt plant using proper lane widths is going to be like trying to poke butter up a wild cat's asz with a hot awl. It ain't going to work, but we need some East/West access in the Transcona area.
If a Dugald Rd twinning/widening project happens, I think you're right on the money. No room along the current right of way. So move it either north or south to a new right of way. But keep it Dugald Road, and not completely move it to a different location.

Speaking to the overpass or underpass decision at Plessis. An overpass was not built as there wasn't enough money to include the Dugald Parclo. So it was decided to go under as it would be cheaper in the short term. Yes, yes, I know.....

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:41 AM

Provincial NDP govt. was not content in telling the city how to run the Disraeli bridge project now they want to run the Dugald / Plessis Rd underpass.

Apparently the local MLA's want a separate bypass road built to keep Plessis traffic going through the area but don't want to pony up the extra money to do so.

If this spat does not get resolved soon, it could be canceled as the completion date would be outside of the window for Federal Govt. infrastructure money.

http://globalnews.ca/news/702516/scr...oad-underpass/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Provincial NDP govt. was not content in telling the city how to run the Disraeli bridge project now they want to run the Dugald / Plessis Rd underpass.

Apparently the local MLA's want a separate bypass road built to keep Plessis traffic going through the area but don't want to pony up the extra money to do so.

If this spat does not get resolved soon, it could be canceled as the completion date would be outside of the window for Federal Govt. infrastructure money.

Where are they expecting a temporary road to go?

Lag and Regent would be loaded with traffic for 18 months, but on a regular day they can handle it. They really need to make the sure the left brain and right brain are communicating though, no big construction on Regent or Lag in those 18 months!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:17 AM

That's just crazy talk. Incomptence is the right word here for Greg. What kind of agenda does this guy have? there's no way a detour is going there and still getting this done on time. I said previously this was a huge issue.

I work directly on this project, and it's way late in the game to be debating this. Nevermind the other shenanigans currently going on, show stopper #2. Maybe thatll make the news soon.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:37 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:

This may have to do with the area councillor -- perhaps the Province is pissed that the Mayor of Transcona keeps talking about all these cuts because the City isn't getting enough of the PST increase. I love Russ.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the city never comunicates properly with the province though

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:49 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

On what do you base this statement?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
And it's absolutely disgusting. These people are the ones who are supposed to be looking out for the people. I know, it's politics. But why must they always be fighting over something? Another one that comes to mind recently is obviously rapid transit.

A bunch of bureaucrats who have no business in running these projects. Just another photo op for Greg. I was a supporter of the NDP under Doer. But now I'm forced to side with the crook Pallister. Just a disgusting state this province is in.

Edit: politically speaking of course.

That's my rant for the day.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jul 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM. Reason: added stuff.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 7:44 PM

Anyways, getting back to construction, last Friday the drill crew was over on the West side of Plessis doing some test holes and checking soil samples. Yes, they can now report and confirm that there is 12 feet of loon shit and the balance is Manitoba gumbo.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 11:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
This may have to do with the area councillor -- perhaps the Province is pissed that the Mayor of Transcona keeps talking about all these cuts because the City isn't getting enough of the PST increase. I love Russ.
No, it is entirely to do with politicking by Maloway. I should have known this piece of crap would be behind this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan