HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 11:01 PM

Regina's Urban Forest

From time to time on the construction and development threads, issues about trees are raised by posters. Sometimes development means mature trees are removed. Hopefully more often it means new and better trees are added. I thought it was a worthwhile topic for some more in depth discussion. It is not for everyone so I am creating a new thread.

In order to get things rolling a have borrowed a number of Migs' beautiful photos from his blog:

Source: http://reginainpictures.blogspot.ca/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 11:13 PM
ARTchitecture

You should post these pics in the "post some pictures of your city thread" on the Canada section. Beautiful little collection there. I had no idea Regina had such a beautiful tree canopy in some areas

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 11:17 PM

I also encourage your to follow the periodic Foliage Reports in Prairie Dog Blog. They are always informative, or at least entertaining. Here is a recent sample:
On a related note, as had been observed in Steve’s recent series of Foliage Reports, some trees seem to be doing better than others on the F. W. Hill Mall. The city needs to do a bit of a rethink on its mall tree strategy I think as some trees like the poor bugger pictured after the jump don’t have a hope in hell of growing when they’re pretty much blocked from receiving direct sunlight

http://www.prairiedogmag.com/welcome-sight/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 7:57 PM

I was pleased to see that the City is planting many trees on the median on Sask Dr W and continuing on the medians on Lewvan.

I was disappointed to see all the solid concrete laid down by the City on the medians and sidewalks on Broad between College and Vic. There will be no trees there I guess....ever.

They also paved over with reinforced concrete some former tree well in front of the Bay. As well, across the street SaskTel paved over some areas reserved for landscaping in their original design for their new electrical energy back-up Centre. SaskTel has never done any landscaping around that building. What a shame.

Finally I noticed the pocket park on 11th next to the Renaissance Retirement Building is blocked from the street by a very high, ugly solid wall. A wrought iron fence would have been much nicer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I was pleased to see that the City is planting many trees on the median on Sask Dr W and continuing on the medians on Lewvan.

I was disappointed to see all the solid concrete laid down by the City on the medians and sidewalks on Broad between College and Vic. There will be no trees there I guess....ever.

They also paved over with reinforced concrete some former tree well in front of the Bay. As well, across the street SaskTel paved over some areas reserved for landscaping in their original design for their new electrical energy back-up Centre. SaskTel has never done any landscaping around that building. What a shame.

Finally I noticed the pocket park on 11th next to the Renaissance Retirement Building is blocked from the street by a very high, ugly solid wall. A wrought iron fence would have been much nicer.
pity about the lack of landscaping - those are pretty cold locales to not have the shelter and lushness of some trees and greenery.

As for the wall at the seniors building, it is probably much more pleasant for the people that actually live there to have some privacy and a reprieve from the constant noise of buses and traffic whizzing by. Probably also helps reflect back some sunlight and block wind to warm it up and maybe even grow a small garden in there. (assuming it is in fact an outside area for the residents of the building).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
pity about the lack of landscaping - those are pretty cold locales to not have the shelter and lushness of some trees and greenery.

As for the wall at the seniors building, it is probably much more pleasant for the people that actually live there to have some privacy and a reprieve from the constant noise of buses and traffic whizzing by. Probably also helps reflect back some sunlight and block wind to warm it up and maybe even grow a small garden in there. (assuming it is in fact an outside area for the residents of the building).
I understand from their point of view. Its their property and I would probably do the same if it were mine. It just seems wrong that they got a demo permit for an decent old building with storefront retail and replaced it with blank wall. It looks terrible. I will take a photo.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:25 PM

I am disappointed with SaskTel and the lack of trees an landscaping around their new Electrical Energy Centre at the prominent corner of Lorne and 11th. There was some landscaping before they ripped everything out. As well, the renders showed trees lining both Lorne and 11th. There were several areas left open to add landscaping after construction but those have all been now cemented over, including the corner and large area next to the alley on 11th. there is one lonely tree on the south end of the property that the City planted when they redid all of Lorne last year.
Streetview:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.45018...exag!2e0?hl=en

I find SaskTel to be a poor corporate citizen when it comes to trees. The trees around their head office and very large parkade downtown are non-existing or not maintained. When they ripped down the Presuitti's building on Lorne for a surface parking lot, it took them about 5 years to plant 2 spindling trees.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The streets in my neighbourhood used to look like that but DED has taken its toll.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:20 PM

Hopefully they replace the trees with decent, well cared for, replacements

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rive-1.3047346

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:52 PM
Regina SK

Quote:

Are the trees they removed decent and well cared for? By saying they will be re-planted, it sounds like they will be the same trees they removed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 9:37 PM

Quote:

Oh, so that's why they chopped down all the bushes along Gordon between Lewvan and Pasqua and spraypainted them orange. The poor homeowners along Wood Crescent now get a beautiful view of the road & cars for the next 5 years while new bushes & trees grow to fill the space.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 9:43 PM
arf

^I'll have to go take a look to see what area had trees removed. Some of the trees along there are way more than five years from replacing what was there.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:53 PM

The City is replacing street tree boxes with concrete on the 19 block Scarth and in front of Malt City. This is very disappointing.

Also all the mature street trees around Conexus Plaza have been cut down leaving stumps. The were dying anyway just like the trees in front of every Harvard managed building downtown.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:44 PM

As I reported in another thread, Harvard or the City did a great job of replacing tree boxes and trees in front of Ag Place, FCC and Conexus Plaza.

The reason trees in front of Harvard buildings always die must be the copious amounts of ice melter they use. See below. If they could dilute the salt every spring with water, they might do better.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 2:16 AM

So far so good with the new trees on Hamilton with proper sidewalk grates and soil cells.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:52 AM

Looking good! But damn do I love the Leader building. Might be my provincial favorite.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:26 PM

The new trees 11th and Hamilton streets look extremely healthy. I credit the soil cells and sidewalk grates.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:39 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:05 AM

The city has done a nice job with trees in Harbour Landing. The trees down the sides of Harbour Landing Drive and (I think) Jim Cairns are starting to really get established and it looks great.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:59 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The city has done a nice job with trees in Harbour Landing. The trees down the sides of Harbour Landing Drive and (I think) Jim Cairns are starting to really get established and it looks great.
They've also added a fair number in the boulevards along both Lewvan and Sask Drive. A very welcome addition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan