HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 11:24 PM

Thanksgiving at New Haven and New York City

Here are a couple of photos I took from a quick tour of Yale and a trip to New York City over Thanksgiving weekend this year.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 7:07 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Yale is the best of the ivies architecturally IMO...is the rest of new haven really all that bad?

Great pics, thanks!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Yale is the best of the ivies architecturally IMO...is the rest of new haven really all that bad?
New Haven is not that bad. And I agree that Yale probably has the best architecture (but not necessarily campus) of the Ivies.

It has awesome gothic buildings and some of the best modernist buildings anywhere in the U.S.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
is the rest of new haven really all that bad?
No, the city is a much better place to be than it gets its reputation for. Even the bad neighborhoods are nowhere near as bad as parts of Detroit, Camden, even Chicago. There are lots of great neighborhoods outside of the campus. Downtown, Ninth Square, Westville, East Rock, Wooster Square.

The problem with crime statistics in New Haven is its size comparative to other cities. Since it's so tiny, and doesn't include any surrounding suburban areas like many cities do, the crime stats tend to be more concentrated.

There is a sharp division in good and bad neighborhoods in New Haven. Even though they're practically next to each other, prosperous East Rock and troubled Newhallville are worlds apart. They are literally the safest and most dangerous parts of the city only divided by a small sliver of transitional blocks.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Great pics, thanks!
I am glad you enjoyed the photos. I didn't get a chance to explore New Haven outside of Yale but it has a nice downtown and the campus, of course is beautiful. My father (who I was visiting with) lives in Bridgeport and New Haven is no worse than Bridgeport. I would like to visit again in the spring and check out more of the city and hike to the top of the hill behind town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos