HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:18 PM
Urban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Perhaps Raleigh is really a Rooms-To-Go kinda town and can't fathom the notion of flimsy Swedish inspired particleboard within their midst.
JM - I think you wrote the most intelligent thing I have read all week! Gold Star for you!

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Crawford - I don't have time to give you a MBA, but I can tell you retailers don't cancel plans for expansion into new markets when they feel the population and demo work.
If that's the reason (out of the billion possible reasons), then why did they announce the store in the first place? Raleigh's population/economy are booming and obviously greater than when the store was announced.

Quote:
Therefore, I think my supposition is completely appropriate to question why the most profitable company in the world would chose to locate to a city when even a f'en IKEA can't make it work. Business 101.
Agreed, and since Atlanta's Macy's closed, clearly Apple can't open an office in Atlanta either. Business 101.

Apparently Apple can't open an office anywhere, because there is no metro where a major retailer hasn't closed or changed impending store plans.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
You're delusional, nobody has to build sprawling office corporate campuses in order to not be in neutral or decline. That's the point being made that you're deliberately being obtuse about.

You're also wrong, Detroit has had acquisitions recently (LinkedIn, Adient, etc.) and on top of it, those companies all went to the urban core, unlike exurban sprawl hell Georgia.
Don't act so fucking pious, suburban/exurban Detroit sprawls with the best of them. And it's 2018, not 2008. You clearly have no idea what is occurring with Atlanta's urban core.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/5/22...artment-market

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Don't act so fucking pious, suburban/exurban Detroit sprawls with the best of them..
Very true. In fact, Detroit has the worst jobs sprawl in the country.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
S-17 - can you please send me a link to a formal Apple PR statement showing they selected Raleigh? Until then, I can post articles as I see fit. Thanks in advance.
You're free to do whatever you want and I never said you couldn't. You're grown like I am.

That said, the fact that:

1. The reports coming from NC regarding Apple are extremely detailed (as far as when the announcement will take place, the exact location and what's needed to complete the deal).

2. No other city/state has reported similarly extreme details about Apple.

3. Apple's not denying any of the reports from NC.

makes it hard to believe Apple to Raleigh isn't happening. If one wants to continue holding out hope for the slim chance that the aforementioned reports aren't true and Apple will surprise by going elsewhere, be my guess. But I've accepted it already and have moved on.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Very true. In fact, Detroit has the worst jobs sprawl in the country.
It doesn't you just think that because you cherry picked some study you don't even understand, the region has significantly higher density than anywhere in metro Atlanta and companies announce their move to the city every week now. Every US city sprawls yes, but Atlanta is the kingpin in that regard (lowest density city of it's size in the world). But keep deflecting.

The Atlantian boosters on here are by far the most juvenile and obnoxious, Ikea? really? Don't come to the general discussion if you can't handle it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:51 AM
jacob jensen

Quote:
It doesn't you just think that because you cherry picked some study you don't even understand, the region has significantly higher density than anywhere in metro Atlanta and companies announce their move to the city every week now. Every US city sprawls yes, but Atlanta is the kingpin in that regard (lowest density city of it's size in the world). But keep deflecting.

The Atlantian boosters on here are by far the most juvenile and obnoxious, Ikea? really? Don't come to the general discussion if you can't handle it.

rather than try to refute these incorrect statements (see my earlier post with stats backing up some fairly impressive intown job growth, plus the fact that atl has also put up tens of high rise condo and apartment buildings along subway lines in the past decade) how about lets just discuss the topic at hand. atlanta is what it is - it's a hell of a lot younger than detroit, and has east coast style sprawl. so be it.

seems to be imminent that raleigh is bagging apple, but if it got apple AND amazon, that would change the place almost overnight. (hello east coast austin?!?)

Last edited by cabasse; Jun 1, 2018 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
It doesn't you just think that because you cherry picked some study you don't even understand, the region has significantly higher density than anywhere in metro Atlanta and companies announce their move to the city every week now.
skyscraperpage17 is a recent transplant from Detroit, he's not talking out of his ass. And companies from within the Metro and from outside the region are doing the same here. NCR's move into Midtown from the burbs alone injected 3,500 into the core.

Quote:
Every US city sprawls yes, but Atlanta is the kingpin in that regard (lowest density city of it's size in the world). But keep deflecting.
Take it up with the Census Bureau. We don't determine commuting patterns, and most of us are comfortable with the five County core to be the definitive Metro.

Quote:
First of all, it's Atlantans . Secondly, it's hardly juvenile and obnoxious. It's mostly a defense mechanism against the continual spewing of crap such as "those companies all went to the urban core, unlike exurban sprawl hell Georgia". And if you are judging everyone here by one exuberant poster that you happen to disagree with, you aren't very intelligent.

Certifiable haters such as you and Crawford have caused many to completely avoid this part of the forum. Years of pushing back against this crap is exhaustive, but you are over the top and deserve to be challenged.

Either come here for a visit, educate yourself online as to what is going on here, or stfu.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
crap such as "those companies all went to the urban core
To try to cut through the cr*p for a second, this thread is about Apple and Apple's new original headquarters (not to mention the homes and famous garage of its founders) is pretty much in the suburbs. They don't seem to be an "urban core" kind of company, albeit they are a huge and successful one (and I say that with a certain glee because I've been a customer since 1984 but I remember when it was thought they might fail).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:22 PM
Registered Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
To try to cut through the cr*p for a second, this thread is about Apple and Apple's new original headquarters (not to mention the homes and famous garage of its founders) is pretty much in the suburbs. They don't seem to be an "urban core" kind of company, albeit they are a huge and successful one (and I say that with a certain glee because I've been a customer since 1984 but I remember when it was thought they might fail).
Yup, the dark John Scully era.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Yeah, pre-2005 tech companies are pretty much all suburban. Amazon is the notable exception. It's only been about the last decade that they've gravitated to urban centers.

Other than Apple stores, I don't think Apple has ever had a meaningful presence in any urban center.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:31 PM

In my city they're in a Downtown tower.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, pre-2005 tech companies are pretty much all suburban. Amazon is the notable exception. It's only been about the last decade that they've gravitated to urban centers.

Other than Apple stores, I don't think Apple has ever had a meaningful presence in any urban center.
It's not as big and it's only barely pre-2005 (2003) but Saleforce.com is also very dedicated to being downtown. They now have something like 5000 employees in 3 towers (including the city's tallest, a supertall) in the center of SF.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:13 PM
jacob jensen

^ SF does seem to be pretty urban-minded. they bought up a local company by the name of pardot a few years back and have expanded upon the space they were in, in a buckhead office tower that sits on top of a subway station. (lenox)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:51 PM

More detailed updates regarding Apple's operations center in Raleigh are in the below article. Hiring has already begun.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/06...ther-projects/

Apparently, the reason for the delayed announcement is that the Governor vetoed the incentive package that Apple desires, but the state legislature is expected to override it early next week.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions