HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:45 AM

Is there anything special about the new parkland in this area? I just see a big green patch (i.e. Creekside extension) and I haven't read up on it. From what I understand this area at one time used to be a natural marshland until humans decided to reclaim it. Anyway, if we are a green ecodensity city wouldn't it make sense to make this park more than just a big lawn?

False Creek as it is is a body of water that doesn't really 'breathe' that well. I think it would be a great idea to try and restore some of that natural ecosystem there, like Hastings Park or the wetlands they recreated in Lost Lagoon. It would help clean up this end of False Creek as a natural sponge and habitat for wildlife. It could be easily integrated with human-use parkland and urban living/working. It would really be a proud feature for the city, like our green roof.

For me, that would make the parkland definitely worthwhile. Another big lawn where people can play frisbee or walk their dog is fine and all, but we can do better.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:55 AM
with glowing hearts

^ aren't the soils of this proposed park extension contaminated from industry use?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
Putting a series of condos along Pacific would cut a passage through the area that has eyes on the street and on the park. If this can be done without compromising the size of the park - by orienting the condos in a line instead of a cluster
thats exactly what I was thinking too. otherwise i could see that area turing into a nice place for bums to go shoot up at night.

Last edited by osirisboy; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
... From what I understand this area at one time used to be a natural marshland until humans decided to reclaim it. ...

False Creek as it is is a body of water that doesn't really 'breathe' that well. I think it would be a great idea to try and restore some of that natural ecosystem there, like Hastings Park or the wetlands they recreated in Lost Lagoon. It would help clean up this end of False Creek as a natural sponge and habitat for wildlife. It could be easily integrated with human-use parkland and urban living/working. It would really be a proud feature for the city, like our green roof.

For me, that would make the parkland definitely worthwhile. Another big lawn where people can play frisbee or walk their dog is fine and all, but we can do better.
A wetlands in that area would be great! Especially if it were able to somehow reconnect across the former marsh to the harbour ont he other side. That, however, would probably have to be a big pipe rather than open canal--though the latter would be excellent.

Not sure how the condo owners would feel about the marshland critters (bugs) that may accompany such a restoration.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:40 AM

made something out of boredom. Perhaps it'd be possible to bridge the two parklands beneath the overpasses. I've always wondered how neat it'd be to turn the area beneath those streets into greenery. I mean, it's not like you can fit buildings into there, so might as well make it something the public can access and enjoy. Regarding the streets on the surface adjacent to the overpasses, perhaps we could tunnel or bridge over them (or make the streets tunnels themselves).

source: http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...own/2009/638/2

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTSHOCKER View Post
made something out of boredom. Perhaps it'd be possible to bridge the two parklands beneath the overpasses. I've always wondered how neat it'd be to turn the area beneath those streets into greenery. I mean, it's not like you can fit buildings into there, so might as well make it something the public can access and enjoy.
You can't grow any grass underneath low overpasses, because they don't get enough sunlight. Look under any of the lower bridges across False Creek - the south side of Cambie is a good example. The overpasses would be the same, unfortunately.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:20 PM
with glowing hearts

I love the Science World extension!...but i'm not sure how you would amalgamate the parks/field north of the viaduct.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:33 PM

Im not sure where I read it (or if I just made it up), but I thought most of the area underneath the viaducts was going to used for sports. Extending the skatepark, a bike park, and roller hockey rinks, basketball courts, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:51 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTSHOCKER View Post
made something out of boredom. Perhaps it'd be possible to bridge the two parklands beneath the overpasses. I've always wondered how neat it'd be to turn the area beneath those streets into greenery. I mean, it's not like you can fit buildings into there, so might as well make it something the public can access and enjoy. Regarding the streets on the surface adjacent to the overpasses, perhaps we could tunnel or bridge over them (or make the streets tunnels themselves).
One of my hopes is that the viaducts would someday be below grade, in tunnels. Pretty far fetched, but it'd do wonders.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:56 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Is there anything special about the new parkland in this area? I just see a big green patch (i.e. Creekside extension) and I haven't read up on it. From what I understand this area at one time used to be a natural marshland until humans decided to reclaim it. Anyway, if we are a green ecodensity city wouldn't it make sense to make this park more than just a big lawn?

Yea, I don't want to see a simple bare grassy area either. I'm pretty sure the plan doesn't call for that - it'll be a little more elaborate. Back in the day there used to be a water channel that went a ways north, to I believe where the viaducts are. False Creek used to be twice the size as it is now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:03 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
thats exactly what I was thinking too. otherwise i could see that area turing into a nice place for bums to go shoot up at night.
Personally, I don't think we should plan our city around the "bums".

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Ninja View Post
Im not sure where I read it (or if I just made it up), but I thought most of the area underneath the viaducts was going to used for sports. Extending the skatepark, a bike park, and roller hockey rinks, basketball courts, etc.
yes that is what is planed.
its what the city needs and if planned out properly it will be a busy area bringing crap loads of people to the area and putting eyes on the street. and yes acting like a bridge between Creek side park and the turf fields.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:30 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
One of my hopes is that the viaducts would someday be below grade, in tunnels. Pretty far fetched, but it'd do wonders.
Not TOO farfetched - the city is already starting to head in that direction. I'm sure JLousa brought attention to it (as everything!) but a big RFP for urban landscaping, planning, and engineering came out recently for the integration and minimization of the viaduct into the surrounding area with pedestrian access and greenery.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
with glowing hearts

I wonder how much different (and perhaps more beautiful) our city would be if we never filled in False Creek west of where Science World is today....thus the name, "False Creek Flats". False Creek would be 3x the size of what it is today, I'm thinking a smaller version of Sydney harbour.

Broadway and Main Street, looking northeast - the immense other half of False Creek:

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Personally, I don't think we should plan our city around the "bums".
i agree we shouldnt but sometimes we have to. plus like it or not they are a part of the city and sometimes should be taken in to account.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Ninja View Post
There's an idea

Or we could just plant trees there with ferns and other regional plantlife that would thrive under "canopy" in the shade. Greenery doesn't have to be grass. But either way, I feel we could solve the park problem and satisfy the needs for condos and towers by merging the two areas at least by making access to both unencumbered.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:26 PM

NEFC is going to get interesting. As of Wednesday the high level review was before the Urban Design Panel with the re-roofed BC Place and its adjacent developable land. Now with the uncertainty of the stadium the plan for the whole area must be up in the air. Plus the City still has no word on what is going to happen with the VAG.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:28 PM

The areas under the viaducts aren't really "undevelopable" - just look at Granville Island under the Granville Bridge or that building under the south end of the Cambie Bridge.
The main reason that it hasn't been developed is that it was industrial rail yard lands until the 1980s, it is contaminated as a result, and now there's nothing else around it (except parks) to spur anyone to develop, say, two storey retail or office buildings on the sites.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 4:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've been extremely busy over the last week
Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to post the dates beforehand for the nefc openhouses, but it's not too late for you to fax in your comment cards. Here is a link to the latest public display boards. You can see the proposed linear park concept. Beware it's a large file as all 22 boards are in one pdf. I suggest d/l it first.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...dscombined.pdf

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:37 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Kind of surprised that there were no comments regarding the latest display boards on what will be the largest development in Vancouver after EFL. Then again I guess I shouldn't be, we'll just hear complaints on here about it after it's all said and done because people were to busy to speak up during the process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver