HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. 8-2-1 would have been much better for the city. You have council members voting against things because they aren't 1 mile over in their district when their residents will use the same facilities anyway. I think it'll take a recession and a collapse of business industry confidence in the city government for such a big change to occur.

I can't believe no one seems to care that they didn't modify the term limit statutes. The way the system is now, there basically aren't any.

I know what you mean. I don't know if she has shifted or the entire council has shifted around her. Still, I don't think she should be able to run again and I would hope Chris Riley would run if she couldn't. He is a voice we really need and the entire Lyft/Uber leaving could have been avoided if he would have been re-elected to the council.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 11:57 PM

Austin identifies 8 sites for viable MLS stadium or practice facility

The McKalla site is interesting. I don't think it's what Precourt wants, but it's definitely got some promise. On the Red Line, potentially next to the station if they relocate it to south of Braker. Pretty close to the Domain and in the overall North Burnet Gateway.

It's not "urban core", but long term it'll be more urban than lots of what gets called the "core".

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Oooh...I wonder if Burger being the practice facility would mean it'd get a facelift. One can hope!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
The Parks and Recreation Department (P ARD) was assigned to lead the process of exploring potential City-owned properties in the full purpose jurisdiction (including the Travis County Exposition Center). In addition, P ARD was asked to look at underutilized parkland that might be appropriate for a soccer stadium, as well as sites outside the urban core where practice fields and ancillary uses could serve a Major League Soccer (MLS) team and surrounding community. This preliminary exploration was conducted by several City departments. Special coordination was conducted with the Acting City's Chief Financial Officer, Austin Transportation Department, and the Office of Real Estate Services. To the extent possible, given the time constraints, the Parks and Recreation Department engaged a number of resolution-specific named stakeholders. However, a more comprehensive stakeholder process is needed and will take more time to complete.
The full report and associated back up will outline:
• The basics of Major League Soccer operations
• An economic analysis of direct and indirect benefits
• General community benefits
• Properties that seemingly meet base criteria and require additional exploration, analysis and engagement
• Traffic considerations
• Potential opportunities
• Potential challenges
• A community engagement plan and suggested site specific stakeholders

The properties listed for additional exploration, analysis and engagement include:
• St. John's Home Depot/Chrysler 7211 N IH35, Austin 78752
• McKalla Property 10414 McKalla Place, Austin, TX 78758
• Toomey Ballfields- 1501 Toomey Rd, Austin, TX 78704
• Travis County Exposition Center- 7311 Decker Ln, Austin, TX 78724
• Roy G. Guerrero Colorado River Metro Park - 400 Grove Blvd, Austin, TX 78741
• Walnut Creek Sports Complex- 7800 Johnny Morris Rd, Austin, TX 78724
• Bolm Road District Park- 6700 Bolm Rd, Austin, TX 78725
• Tony Burger Activity Center and Stadium- 3200 Jones Rd, Austin, TX 78745*

It is important to note, Tony Burger Activity Center and Stadium is not a City of Austin owned property; however, in the very preliminary engagement with Austin ISD (AISD), AISD agreed this property is appropriate for discussion.
It is important for the City of Austin to continue property analysis in order to provide City Council with quality information. While an initial preliminary report will be made available by the resolution due date, staff plan to continue exploration and have a more comprehensive report in January, 2018. Staff intends to bring this information to Council in February, 2018
I really like Guerrero Park but that's not an easy place to get cars either unless they can get the rebuild of the Riverside overpass on 35 back on the schedule AND overhauling the Pleasant Valley / Cesar Chavez intersection and maybe putting in a Continuous Flow Intersection to support left turns but that is a lot of work and nowhere near the city transit priorities. I would LOVE if the Crew would be willing to pay for the proposed pedestrian bridge from north of the lake at the Cesar parks and Lakeshore but the bigger priority might be a pedestrian bridge at Pleasant Valley. The longhorn Dam is an awful place for pedestrians. . Lakeshore is also very pedestrian friendly.

It's worth noting that the St. Johns bridge on I-35 (which would support the stadium at the old Home Depot) is scheduled for a complete demo and replace. That would need to be moved up and done before the stadium is ready to open.

North of 183 is awful.

The Expo grounds for an MLS stadium is frankly not a good use of space on that complex and not good for a MLS team.

Last edited by freerover; Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:49 AM

Hmmm. The city staff identified an old trolly rail track that would go from near where the Red Line cuts north to where the proposed bridge at the Holly park that I was talking about. I wonder if it would be possible to put a trolly on that rail that would just go back and forth to the bridge? You would also need a Red Line stop near that location. Also, Green Line... Am I right? : )

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:31 AM
World Traveler

You know, the Guerrero Park idea was one that a lot of us were against pretty early on, largely due to Pleasant Valley Rd. in general and the bridge over Longhorn Dam. **IF** they were to add a streetcar circulator (or even a straight line) from the Red/Green Line to that area, that could alleviate some of that. However, a circulator that would connect Guerrero Park to the current line(s) and the Riverside area (Catalyst district?) and back up Riverside to the west, and north via I-35 or further into the Southshore District, etc....there are some possibilities there is all I'm saying. All of which are expensive, of course, but it could be a solution.

That said, the same transit solution could alleviate fears of traffic at the Butler Shores site as well. But the Guerrero Park could be a feasible solution if traffic alleviation measures were taking. It's certainly not as walkable and there aren't a plethora of restaurants in the vicinity (yet). River taxis could still happen.

Another potential benefit of Guerrero Park would be the practice fields right next door. This would allow for a true soccer complex not unlike the Frisco one for FC Dallas. This could really benefit Austin's soccer community in a lot of ways. Having them at another location may or may not be an issue, I'm not sure...but having it altogether could be fun and could continue the park feel farther down the river. Think of extending the hike & bike trail down to the 183 bridge (have a pedestrian bridge underneath like Mopac, for instance). Ideas are fun. Putting them into practice with current politics are not.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Think of extending the hike & bike trail down to the 183 bridge (have a pedestrian bridge underneath like Mopac, for instance).
Bike/pedestrian crossing at the 183 bridge should be in place with the 183 south project.

https://www.183south.com/upload/files/02.pdf

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Bike/pedestrian crossing at the 183 bridge should be in place with the 183 south project.

https://www.183south.com/upload/files/02.pdf

They are converting an existing bridge that is currently used for car traffic into a pedestrian only bridge. The new bridges that will carry traffic from Airport/7th/Cesar are under construction.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:06 AM
World Traveler

^^ Awesome! I didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing Novacek & freeover.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:31 PM

Damn 10-1 Council fragments our city and creates defensive postures and siloed policies. There is no city wide perspective or coherence. Gonna cost us an MLS team among a million other things our city needs.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Damn 10-1 Council fragments our city and creates defensive postures and siloed policies. There is no city wide perspective or coherence. Gonna cost us an MLS team among a million other things our city needs.
Unfortunately I agree. I think we'll drag our feet long enough that the owners will look elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.

Edit.

On the positive side, there's an event tonight. From the description, PSV will be there.
https://www.facebook.com/events/785583791629818/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Unfortunately I agree. I think we'll drag our feet long enough that the owners will look elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong.

Edit.

On the positive side, there's an event tonight. From the description, PSV will be there.
https://www.facebook.com/events/785583791629818/

I think it's certainly possible that the council drags this out but I think it's more likely the Crew say they are only willing to move to a couple sites and then the council mounts a public campaign against them because they are trying to "bully" the city and that they won't accept ultimatums. Austin is going to make national headlines for turning down a free sports stadium without having to go through the dog and pony expansion process.

Austin certainly has a right to deny use of public land or parks to the Crew but they have a right to decide where they want to make a 200 million dollar stadium.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 10:09 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I think it's certainly possible that the council drags this out but I think it's more likely the Crew say they are only willing to move to a couple sites and then the council mounts a public campaign against them because they are trying to "bully" the city and that they won't accept ultimatums. Austin is going to make national headlines for turning down a free sports stadium without having to go through the dog and pony expansion process.

Austin certainly has a right to deny use of public land or parks to the Crew but they have a right to decide where they want to make a 200 million dollar stadium.
I have zero confidence that we are going to pull this off. The good news for Kitchen is ZNA is overrun by NIMBYs and they'll likely come out against the stadium even if half the neighborhood residents want the thing and she can use that to "prove" that there is no interest in it. Meanwhile the East Austin council people will push for a stadium at the expo center and Precourt will walk away.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:

I tend to agree with this given my sources. Definitely wish I could make Takoba. PSV will be there for sure.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 1:15 AM
World Traveler

Great article from the MLS Supporters Union that I got in an email. They talk about the pros and cons about Butler Shores.
Spoiler: They think there are a lot more pros than cons. I happen to agree.

https://medium.com/supporters-union/...s-7034a9ce66e5

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:23 PM

I'm a liitle unclear about something... does Guererro Park include the softball fields at Krieg Fields? Or are they two separate areas?

As a second choice to Butler, I like the idea of moving the softball fields at Krieg Fields east to Guererro Park and building the stadium where softball fields are currently. You need a view of the skyline. Not sure if the skyline view is great from Guererro.

It might turn out to be a better location for PSV...IF Amazon decides to move to Austin and IF they chose the Catalyst. Huge Ifs. The stadium would be walking distance for Oracle and Amazon employees. Maybe by the time this goes to Council in Feb, Amazon would have at least released a short list.

They can place a parking structure on Cesar Chavez east of Pleasant Valley where there are some empty lots. Maybe build a pedestrian bridge over the Colorado. And/or drop a parking structure in Guererro park and use the entire length of Grove Blvd to queue up the traffic.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:35 PM

Why are people more willing to give up softball fields in East Austin than they are to give up softball fields in Central Austin???? Oh wait, I get it. Nevermind. I'll shut up.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Why are people more willing to give up softball fields in East Austin than they are to give up softball fields in Central Austin???? Oh wait, I get it. Nevermind. I'll shut up.
Bingo! This is all about a group of wealthy white people that don’t want this near their home. They will leverage any and all reasons that support their narrative. And the council rep of this district is a pit bull. No one wants to go to battle against her.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I don't think the question is which softball fields people are willing to give up. The issue that Kitchen has cited is about noise and light effecting the residents of the nearby condos and Zilker neighborhood. The Krieg Fields is more removed from neighboring residentials.

I think there are plenty of examples of stadiums nestled near apt/condos, i.e. Wrigley. While I disagree with Kitchen, I think it's not a bad thing to consider at least one other alternative in case the council doesn't budge on Butler. Hate to see the deal fall apart with a Butler or nothing approach. I have low confidence Butler will be approved. We've already seen what Kitchen's NIMBY army is capable of.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 10:10 PM
Member since 2001

As a former footballer myself, I'm going to do what I can to sway the council to seriously consider the Butler site. However, as I do not live within the City of Austin proper, I don't know how far that will go, personally. I'll try to get some lobbyist friends involved.

I implore each of you who do live in the city to bombard your council representative with phone messages, emails, letters, etc. in favor of the best sites and strongly against "stupid" locations.

Heck, start a formal petition for the "best site." That is one thing the council cannot deny...public input.

Kitchen, for example, can sit on her high horse and "speak" for her constituents saying they don't want a stadium at Butler Shores. However, should a successful petition of be taken in her district in favor of the stadium...she'll loose her mind and be forced to vote in favor along with what the people want of whom she is supposed to represent.

Again...bombard your council person...start a petition...as citizens of this fine city, we cannot sit back and let these clowns at city hall screw this us for all of us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin