HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh wow, Tone! Looks beautiful, and thank you!

That's probably the Avalon, which departed Montreal on Oct. 18.

The Cabot departs Montreal on Oct. 22, so you'll probably see that on Oct. 23 in Rimouski.

Make sure you check for the Connaigra, which departs Montreal on Oct. 25. I forget the exact phrasing that makes the statement accurate, but it's something like "the largest container ship operating in Canadian waters". It's Oceanex's brand new one. And it's massive. It was in St. John's a week or so ago for its grand welcome. That one ship increased the overall carrying capacity of Oceanex's fleet by 50%.

It's named after:

Quote:
Connaigre was a small fishing community located on the southern tip of the Connaigre Peninsula of the south coast of the island. Connaigre was listed as Cap Negre (Cape Negro) in the Census of French Population and Agriculture, 1686 with a total population of seventy-two. It was the second largest French fishing station after Plaisance, the French capital of Newfoundland. Connaigre was conquered by the English, renamed Great Harbour, and in the 1763 census, had 5 English inhabitants (this census recorded only male heads of household) and twenty-eight servants recorded. In the 1836 census the population was forty-three. In 1954 the entire community of twelve remaining families was resettled under the Centralization Program by the Newfoundland government.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:54 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
...you HAVE seen pictures of Calgary's actual downtown before, surely?
Better than that, I visited in the summer and stayed downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Really? What a weird thing to say.. That pic is like one spot in a park for petes sake..
It's weird to say that? You realize that big cities around the world typically don't design there river fronts and parks like that? I want my rural areas unspoiled, but my urban areas built up, man made, and designed... even the parkland. Calgary can do what it wants, but it's not what I'm used to at all. I'm not a fan of naturalized areas in a downtown.

I'm a little shocked that people don't realize that naturalized areas in a downtown isn't the route most cities around the world go.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Princess St. between Notre Dame Ave, & McDermot Ave.

Behind the Burton Cummings [Odeon] Theatre
Love those shots. Amazing what a little dirt will do.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 3:51 PM

A few great pictures taken on the Red River in Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
More river pics...

It's about the only time anyone remembers to bring a camera.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 4:10 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh wow, Tone! Looks beautiful, and thank you!

That's probably the Avalon, which departed Montreal on Oct. 18.

The Cabot departs Montreal on Oct. 22, so you'll probably see that on Oct. 23 in Rimouski.

Make sure you check for the Connaigra, which departs Montreal on Oct. 25. I forget the exact phrasing that makes the statement accurate, but it's something like "the largest container ship operating in Canadian waters". It's Oceanex's brand new one. And it's massive. It was in St. John's a week or so ago for its grand welcome. That one ship increased the overall carrying capacity of Oceanex's fleet by 50%.

It's named after:

Thank you for the info and great news for the new ship! These suckers are fun to see go up and down the river.

I happened to be in St. John's when the Avalon was commissioned and saw the ceremony.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:16 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Better than that, I visited in the summer and stayed downtown.
Then why would you make a statement like that if you know better?

Quote:
It's weird to say that? You realize that big cities around the world typically don't design there river fronts and parks like that? I want my rural areas unspoiled, but my urban areas built up, man made, and designed... even the parkland. Calgary can do what it wants, but it's not what I'm used to at all. I'm not a fan of naturalized areas in a downtown.

I'm a little shocked that people don't realize that naturalized areas in a downtown isn't the route most cities around the world go.
It wouldn't make for very exciting travel if all cities did everything the same way. There wouldn't be much point in seeing other cities since they would all look the same.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 7:49 PM

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:39 PM

I took these pictures yesterday at Bowring Park in St. John's, it was a beautiful warm fall day

The Peter Pan statue

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 11:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Here's a not-often-seen angle of Calgary, taken from Inglewood, the oldest neighbourhood in the city, about 130 years old.

By Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
A few great pictures taken on the Red River in Winnipeg.
That river bank near downtown looks too natural. Better get it covered up with some concrete and railings.

Nice pics.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 5:19 AM

We've had some fairly foggy mornings the last few days. This morning I finally went out and snapped some shots of the fall colors...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 5:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Oh boy, I miss Burnaby. Metrotown has so much potential. Thanks for the nostalgia trip! I used to live like a 5 minute walk from there!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 5:55 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

It wouldn't make for very exciting travel if all cities did everything the same way. There wouldn't be much point in seeing other cities since they would all look the same.
I'm pretty sure that areas that are "built up, man made, and designed" don't need to have the same design. In fact, it may even be possible to have hundreds of different and unique designs and for them to all be unique. That's like saying that every city with any other common trait like having a centre dominated by skyscrapers looks the same, so if you've been to Dallas, there's no point in visiting San Francisco, or if you've been to Hong Kong, there's nothing worth seeing in NYC since they all the same

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 6:16 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Huh???? I was obviously referring to the photo that I'll re-post below. My response: It's not what I look for in a downtown. 'It' in that sentence quite clearly refers to the parkland showcased in the photo. You were under the impression that I thought that this photo was downtown Calgary?

By Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me there, but that doesn't mean my preferences go out the window does it? Besides, I was responding to someone who said my comment was weird. How could it be anything but a normal reaction when every other city I've been to followed quite a different path. My reaction to it is quite normal considering where I've lived/visited. I've never seen naturalized areas in a downtown before.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
My reaction to it is quite normal considering where I've lived/visited. I've never seen naturalized areas in a downtown before.
You have not visited many Canadian cities then. Every city I have been to has some natural areas like this around the central core. Not right in the middle of the CBD of course.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 1:57 PM

Here Montréal

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 4:45 PM

Just a few random photos probably not seen to often from around the Peg.

English Garden, Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42446710@N02/4018470140/

Forks, Winnipeg

archive.citycaucus.com

www.tourismwinnipeg.com

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 5:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I've never seen naturalized areas in a downtown before.
Well though the shot Chad provided is along the river somewhat east of "downtown," it is an interesting area that comprises a glimpse of what the river and its banks might have looked like a hundred years ago. There is nothing wrong with that, and the wetlands (which are designed, not "natural" per se) just east of Eau Claire are a nice interpretive resource that are a stone's throw from exactly the sort of refined park space that you covet (along the pathways and in Prince's Island Park) as well of course as an incredibly dense glass and steel downtown. The fact that these areas can be adjacent in Calgary is something really nice about it. Not ALL greenspaces downtown are naturalized or whatever label you want to use, but some are.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
ARTchitecture

It wasn't east of dt it was directly north. I referring to the one he quoted. Right at Prince's Island. Speaking of refined parks though, I am very excited for the redevelopment of Sien Lok Park. Regardless, 40 feet from where the photo in question was taken is a 'refined urban pathway paved with stone' system anyways.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 2:30 AM

Alleyways behind Queen St. in Toronto:

Lots of people probably get lost trying to find this place

A little parkette linking Richmond and the alley

Adding another layer

Saw a number of tourists checking out these alleys including families. Take that Rob Ford.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada