HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
I'm pretty sure the current debacle with the Navy is because they are military. Land of 20$ hammers and such. That is another example of looking at something built in another country and going "we can do it for the same right?"

Having BC Ferries outsource to another country is inconsequential to everyone except for the local shipbuilders who have these expensive military contracts anyway.
Another factor is that the feds have been trying to balance their budget. Rumour has it that the steams work on the projects have had some artificial delays to ensure a certain cash flow profile over the past two years. That helps the government claim a balanced budget.

From a project management perspective that is never a good thing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Huh. I understand why it's unpainted, but.. it seems odd that it had the name already on it but removed?
Some ships have a raised name. Basically a metal plate is cut in the shape of the name welded to the side of the ship.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:44 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
You can make the BC Ferries logo out faintly on the side too. I wonder if it's just wrapped in something for the journey to BC from Poland.
It's not uncommon for names and logos to be raised metal surfaces, proud of the main steel of the hull.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:42 AM
perhaps . . .

Obviously didn't see post by casper. But we certainly agree.

The ferry without paint has a kind of cool military feel, but once it is all white I fear it will look like some kind of giant inflated tub.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:55 AM
perhaps . . .

And one more: wonder why the azimuth thrusters were not installed before it was dropped into the water.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
There will be bow & stern doors ue to the fact that they will be crossing the strait
Let's hope they aren't screen doors (Polish joke!).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Let's hope they aren't screen doors (Polish joke!).
The drawings from the article that was posted show some time of door. I wonder if they swing up. Not certain that is the best design but I don't see how it works otherwise. Swings in?

Also of note, it looks like the have take all (or a good part) of the "private crew space" and shifted that onto its own deck under the bridge. It amazes me why they need 16 crew cabins, a large conference room and crew mess hall on each ship. But I guess it is required.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
And one more: wonder why the azimuth thrusters were not installed before it was dropped into the water.
I know on other ferries with azimuth thrusters, they can open a hatch in the car deck and drop them in. I don't think it's inconvenient to install after. Might even be easier.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
It amazes me why they need 16 crew cabins, a large conference room and crew mess hall on each ship. But I guess it is required.
I'm not sure about the cabins, but the conference room and mess hall make perfect sense to me. It avoids the necessity for the crew to disembark and reboard on a routine basis.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The official news release has a pic of the other side of the ship and the names are coloured in.

http://www.bcferries.com/bcferries/f...ents?id=932149
Here's the pic of the other side.
It doesn't look as streamlined as in the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:06 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
I know on other ferries with azimuth thrusters, they can open a hatch in the car deck and drop them in. I don't think it's inconvenient to install after. Might even be easier.
Interesting. Perhaps this is an advantage of an open ferry deck. Would also make major maintenance less expensive . . . akin to pulling a jet engine out of its housing. Perfect access to everything.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Interesting. Perhaps this is an advantage of an open ferry deck. Would also make major maintenance less expensive . . . akin to pulling a jet engine out of its housing. Perfect access to everything.
If they can change out the engines in the Seabus then the ferries should be a snap.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:50 AM

Pic from an article about the refit of the older Spirit Class vessels:

http://www.mapleridgenews.com/business/373906571.html

Another article on the whale design - announced today:

Quote:
Esquimalt First Nation artist Darlene Gait's design was chosen from 37 entries in a design competition for the interior and exterior artwork on the Salish Orca.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...orca-1.3511544

This is the winning artwork that will adorn the BC Ferries' new Salish class vessel, Salish Orca. (Michael Mcarthur/CBC)

The artwork will be displayed both on the exterior and interior of the Salish Orca. (Michael Mcarthur/CBC)

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/bc...ssel-1.2837312

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 30, 2016 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:54 AM

I'm curious to see what kind of noise LNG vessels make. Quieter? Louder? or just different?

EDIT: I guess hear not see.

Last edited by BCPhil; Mar 30, 2016 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I'm curious to see what kind of noise LNG vessels make. Quieter? Louder? or just different?

EDIT: I guess hear not see.
I guess it would depend if the LNG drives generators (like a DEMU) or if it's connected to the propulsion drivetrain (eg like a DMMU). Just from offhand research it seems like Diesel-LNG is an option in some industrial equipment, and still requires diesel fuel as the ignition source.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 9:17 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:49 PM
life in the present

Rode the Queen of Nanaimo this past Monday on the milk-run Galiano-Mayne-Pender-Saltspring for likely the last time. Looking forward to the new ships but will miss the massive amount of outdoor deck space over two-levels on the old Queen, no better place to sit and enjoy the island views.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 1:31 AM

Has the new ferries been deployed already? Queen of Nanaimo replacement was sent to begin service late in the year.

Should we be expecting more new ferries in the future? I was reading BC Ferries' magazine on the weekend and realized that most of their fleet is built in the 1960s.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Has the new ferries been deployed already? Queen of Nanaimo replacement was sent to begin service late in the year.

Should we be expecting more new ferries in the future? I was reading BC Ferries' magazine on the weekend and realized that most of their fleet is built in the 1960s.
Quote:
The Salish Orca will be arriving in Canada late 2016 and will enter service on the Comox-Powell River route following several months of crew training. The Salish Eagle and the Salish Raven are scheduled to arrive in early 2017 and projected to be introduced into service on the Southern Gulf Islands routes by summer 2017.
From: http://www.bcferries.com/about/intermediatevessel.html

From: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...ecal-1.2367035

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

Well there are all those 1960s ships (with a few to be retired next year) but most of the fleet is more 1990s/2000s I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure