HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 PM

I don't believe for a second the design quality of TCF is better than IGF...maybe one new side perhaps, and even that side has narrow concourses.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:14 PM

I think IGF looks great on TV. Probably the best looking of the new generation of CFL stadiums although without a doubt the remaining NFL-sized venues in the league (BC Place/Commonwealth) have a certain grandeur that is hard to match.

The issue with the empty seats is that the Bombers mysteriously price end zone seats higher than the clearly superior upper deck sections. I'm grateful that they do it because I can get a decent seat for cheap, but yeah, I always thought it was weird... you'd think they'd want to fill the lower bowl to make it look good for TV. For late season games with crappy weather, looking at the endzones reminds me of watching Argos games at Skydome when the place was 2/3 empty.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Sorry, but the IGF is a fantastic stadium for watching football. The atmosphere is great. You don't like the location but that's the way it is. Let's celebrate the fact that we have a good stadium and not do the usual Winnipeg navel-gazing self-hatred routine. I've already explained to you several times why the soccer team will be playing in IGF. That's where it's going to happen for better or for worse so let's hope its a success. As I said, they don't need 20,000 fans for a successful venture at that level of soccer. It's not THE Premier League. It's the Canadian Premier League.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
To this day, I will never understand how we got an amateur stadium architect to design something so important when other teams clearly made better choices in their design.

The optics just look so bad on tv, and if I were the Bombers I would give away a huge amount of tickets to those zones. My fave seats in IFG are mostly all upper deck, and watching from the corners is just dreadful.

Out of the modern football stadiums I've been to lately (Mosaic, TCF Bank) the difference in design quality is stark.
I've been to those and disagree. Winnipeg had a budget, and I think within that budget, IGF delivers for sure. Great visibility from anywhere, better concourse design than mosaic. Looks nice also. Mosaic is a great place too, but also cost $70M more.

What I concede is that perhaps the whole thing shouldnt be a full loop, but that's nitpicking, because it's probably cheaper to build all the way around than higher if one endzone remained open. Again, $$$. For $200M, IGF is quite good.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 7:00 PM

Ticket pricing announced. Loges sold out.

Edit-link now dead, sorry

Last edited by EndoftheBeginning; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 12:17 AM

Last edited by EndoftheBeginning; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 12:35 AM

And here are all the teams.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 2:30 PM

Yeah, I'm a "homer", but I really love the look and colours of the Winnipeg team over the others. It may be the best of the group in terms of marketing jerseys to younger fans as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 3:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Yeah, I'm a "homer", but I really love the look and colours of the Winnipeg team over the others. It may be the best of the group in terms of marketing jerseys to younger fans as well.
I really like the away kit. Simple and sharp.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I also think their away kit is a real winner. Nice to see them go in a direction that is pretty far away from the blue palette of the Bombers and Jets.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 1:27 AM

I don’t really have anything against it, but the whole identity is so dull. Also whoever designed the logo has clearly never designed anything that has to go on numerous applications. The thin lines and “open” design will be a nightmare for any textile or small applications.

Also.. what the hell is “One Soccer” ... it’s one thing to not have something locally relevant, but that’s not even a recognizable brand at all.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 1:41 AM

One Soccer is the online streaming service that will be broadcasting CPL games. I don't think the over the air/cable broadcasting situation has been sorted out yet, but all games will be streamable on One Soccer for a monthly fee. All of the main kit sponsors are (inter)national brands - after One Soccer, the only other relative unknown is Macron, who are a jersey manufacturer and did all the CPL kits, the rest are well known.

The kits do seem to be very nice quality - the Valour badge looks like it is actually embroidered on, and not just a screen print.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 2:26 AM

I like all of the jerseys, I would wear any of them. They look great. Although it is odd that those two teams have teal jerseys that look practically identical, right down to Volkswagen as the sponsor.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:14 PM

Does anyone know if the games will be televised or on the radio?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I don't believe for a second the design quality of TCF is better than IGF...maybe one new side perhaps, and even that side has narrow concourses.
Haha. Whoops. I thought the poster I was responding to was referring to TD Bank Stadium in Ottawa, hence my comments about "the one new side." My mistake.

TCF in Minny is obviously better, but it's not a fair comparison given all the money behind the NFL and all the public money for this stadium - an amount that would never considered for a pro sports facility here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:05 PM

^ TCF Bank Stadium is the U of M's venue, not to be confused with US Bank Stadium. It's nice but nowhere near as opulent as the latter.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ TCF Bank Stadium is the U of M's venue, not to be confused with US Bank Stadium. It's nice but nowhere near as opulent as the latter.
Yes, I mixed up stadium again. I have a hard time believing that stadium is better then IGF. Concourses are narrow from what I understand and the seating is almost all benches. I am not sure how the concessions and washrooms are in comparison to our stadium.

The exterior is obviously better. It's pretty much all brick.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 8:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Does anyone know if the games will be televised or on the radio?
ONESoccer will be the streaming partner for the games. It's assumed at this point that a TV carrier will be picking up a game or two a week to broadcast but there have been no details yet.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 11:59 PM

TCF Bank Stadium is a great venue and underwent renos a few years ago when it was temporarily home to the Vikings... but is very much a basic college stadium. It’s grandstands with bleachers. Think CanadInns. With all IGF’s faults and cost saving measures, it’s still a much nicer venue than TCF in terms of amenities, luxuries and design.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:18 AM

The Valour kits are gorgeous. We have decent looking sporting teams in this town. I really hope the Valoiur take off. What a wonderful addition to the city's sporting community.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I like all of the jerseys, I would wear any of them. They look great. Although it is odd that those two teams have teal jerseys that look practically identical, right down to Volkswagen as the sponsor.
One is named Roughriders. The other is called Rough Riders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan