HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:03 AM

Oh, I see. Because I thought what happened was that you and the usual crew - including SSP's very own village idiot - just jumped on the first sign of dissent from the party line and attacked things you *assumed* I believed rather than the things I actually said.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:05 AM

From the tone of your posts, you make it sound like you and racc would be fighting over who gets the first turn in the seat of the wrecking ball..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:09 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketrouble View Post
Oh, I see. Because I thought what happened was that you and the usual crew - including SSP's very own village idiot - just jumped on the first sign of dissent from the party line and attacked things you *assumed* I believed rather than the things I actually said.
No. But what you've said doesn't seem to support your statement 100%. I don't attack, I debate, and if I do attack (aside from those members who have been banished from the forums), I shouldn't be a moderator. If you have any problems with me, feel free to consult other SSP: Vancouver moderators jlousa and Raggedy13, or if you feel that none of the three are impartial, then you can go ahead and contact any of the SSP Administrators.

Watch your use of language. No one here is an idiot, you are a member here because you have been invited. If you are an idiot, then your membership would've been revoked. I don't think it's fair to call people an idiot just because they have different positions.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 10:41 AM

i use the viaduct a few times a week and its not that busy really compared to any number of streets downtown with residential at street level - yes it might not be pretty to look at but is it any worse than seymour street at street level? or Davie street?

the residential that looks at the viaducts looks liveable - they have chosen to live next to GM Place and skytrain anyway - I'd rather live next to the viaduct than skytrain as I find skytrain way too loud compared to car traffic

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 2:41 PM
loafing in lotusland

Read something in a paper this weekend that suggested instead of tearing them down, create an urban park, with pedestrian/bike on top in a park-like atmosphere. Put Commercial abutting the viaduct, with access on both levels.

Don't know how that would work, but it was an interesting idea.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post

On a rainy, dreary autumn day, a dozen or so people were sitting and eating at picnic tables next to the exit, in an area totally sheltered by the viaducts. They seemed to be enjoying the chance to sit outside while it's still (barely) warm enough without worrying about getting wet.
Excellent point in your great post. I hear a lot of desire for public spaces in Vancouver, but people need to remember the climate. We have plenty of open air areas that are all but empty for most of our 9 month rainy season. Covered areas are what is missing. Why not use the viaducts?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And how many times do we have to tell people such as yourself not everyone's job or daily plan allows them to take transit to commute? NOT EVERYONE HAS A 9 TO 5 OFFICE/SCHOOL SIMPLISTIC COMMUTING LIFE, MANY PEOPLE NEED TO BE IN MANY PLACES N ONE DAY, SOME OF THEM VERY TRIVIAL, AND MANY PEOPLE NEED TO BRING EXTENSIVE EQUIPMENT WITH THEM
My biggest beef with planners etc. are that they live in a bubble when it comes to work. They live in a 9-4 government/union mindset that few others do, and yet planners seem to use their own experience as the measure by which all aspects of life in a city should be measured.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Read something in a paper this weekend that suggested instead of tearing them down, create an urban park
This is what New York did with the "High Line". Not seen it in person, but it looks pretty interesting from the pictures.

BTW, I would just like to thank Locked In for his great post, I don't necessarily agree with everything but it's a great contribution to the discussion.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:49 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Read something in a paper this weekend that suggested instead of tearing them down, create an urban park, with pedestrian/bike on top in a park-like atmosphere. Put Commercial abutting the viaduct, with access on both levels.

Don't know how that would work, but it was an interesting idea.
That is precisely what is being suggested right now.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 6:03 PM

Question A Question

If we take into consideration several factors, perhaps I could offer an explanation of why I think the viaducts should be kept, or, if not, the replaced by (aaaaaaarrrgh) tunnels (a dirty word in Vancouver).

1: The downtown portion of Vancouver, "the peninsula", is a plateau that slopes down fairly gently toward Stanley Park; in picturesque, Seattle-sized hills down Burrard to English Bay, and Granville to the harbour; but drops off in a "precipice" to the East, where the Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts now are.

2: On the assumption that, despite our fine transit system, people will still use cars to enter and exit downtown for points east (and south, if we include the Granville Bridge) it might therefore seem obvious that these cars and other MVs will need a roadway of some sort to travel on.

Fine. IF we tear down the viaducts, how will these motor vehicles enter downtown from points OUTSIDE the downtown peninsula? This is particularly pertinent if one considers traffic coming in from out of town, and the drivers of which really have no choice between transit and their own vehicle. They will usually need their own vehicle (but correct me if I'm wrong)

What do we do if we tear down the viaducts?
- Force people to take transit anyway?
-Charge an "entry fee" into the city of Vancouver, similar to the way they do in London? (all the while requiring traffic to be routed by the Cambie,
Granville, and Burrard bridges),
-make people "faire se débrouiller" ... that is, grapple with the situation as best they can?

What options exist for the bane of (bad, smelly, evil) cars (and they'll be around for a while, like it or not)

Do we build some alternate route into downtown, or not?

-If so, where, and what type of route?
-Could we put the dialects in (crrrrringe) tunnels, to surface closer to the city centre. I know this creates accessibility and space problems.

But anyway, what ARE the options ?? Many people talk about the evil-looking, life-blocking viaducts. However, if you take them out, what goes in their place? Something? Nothing? I'd really love to know.

Last edited by trofirhen; Oct 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:00 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is a very simple, elegant, and usually right motto by which BC politicians have very little ability to follow.

As it is, a huge amount of traffic flows into and out of downtown. And against all logic (and contrary to many peoples opinions) it does actually flow. Downtown is surrounded by water on 3 and a half sides, yet traffic can get out. And a huge portion of that traffic heads east as that is the direction the metro region expands.

The only reason there isn't constant gridlock in the core is because traffic has options on getting out. Why would you want to mess with that?

Look at what happened when at Granville & Georgia they closed 1 or 2 lanes of traffic to repair the road. Chaos. Look what happens when there is a massive accident and they close a road. Chaos. When a road is closed or even a few lanes in one block are MIA it can affect traffic all over the downtown core and into the metro region as a whole. The Granville Street bridge is much better now than it was last year while the Cambie street bridge was neutered.

Now, people would get used to the missing Viaducts and change their driving habits and dirstribute themselves on the other roads. Pacific and Expo would be a lot more busy than they are now, and so would W2nd/Cambie. While it wouldn't ruin anyone's life, it would degrade everyone's a bit as we all have to put up with extra traffic that wasn't there before. That includes people on buses on roads that can become gridlocked like Seymour or Hastings or Powel. I don't know about you guys, but I've been stuck on buses in downtown traffic before (not everyone can take Expo line into downtown).

And what would be the reward? A few thousand new residents? It's a relatively small area, and with the water views would be too expensive for most who are driving on the viaducts to afford.

And I don't buy that the viaducts are a barrier separating the DTES from downtown. The Viaducts are a N/S barrier, not E/W. There is nothing on the other side of the viaducts except false creek (water), and beyond that is the Plaza of nations.

Using that logic you can say that Victory Square is a barrier between the East Side and West, maybe that park should go next. If anything it's GM Place and BC Place that are the buffers, but they are also a driving force of life in downtown and the metro region. I don't hear many saying they should go and be replaced by some towers.

If we want to focus on an area for improvement, why not the Broadway Corridor? There is a lot more there in terms of under used land along Broadway. The street is littered with run down single floor commercial space. Broadway also requires rapid transit. The central part of the corridor is already a major business hub with thousands of jobs, and there is still more room to expand. The only problem is it is also one of the more difficult places to get to (especially on transit).

Would it not be more logical to spend our time and effort to build something new instead of tear something functioning down? Shouldn't we focus on expanding density and transit along the entire length of Broadway instead of a few blocks downtown?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 7:39 PM

Sigh, one waits for the day when the current crop of granola head profs teaching urban planning will shuffle off their mortal coil, taking their car-hating ideas with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
1) The inner-city ghettoization of North America's urban poor from the 1950s to the 1980s, as proto-suburbanites flee the city en masse to escape the influx of racial and cultural "undesirables". .
Really. I hadn't noticed the total lack of freeways in Europe, or is their soemthing magic in the water there that allowed them to avoid this fate?

Quote:
2) The enormous government subsidies required to build automobile-centred communities (at least transit users pay fees), and the shifting of deficit burdens onto everyone (including people who don't use highways personally), which in turn precludes spending on other valuable social commodities - eg. healthcare, education, etc. .
Drivers pay gas taxes, without which your noble transit users would not have affordable mass transit.

Quote:
4) The environmental toll of the automobile, whether in the form of carbon emissions, or that of encroachment onto valuable farm- and wildland by parking lots, freeways, and single family home 'neighborhoods'.
Emerging technologies will drastically reduce carbon emissions.

Quote:
5) The social toll of spatially disconnected suburban living.
Ah yes, I wondered how long it would take for this elitist talking point to emerge. Funny thing, when living in the suburbs I knew most of my neighbours. My downtown condo-dwelling friends know very few of theirs by name.

Removing the viaducts is and idea symptomatic of the simple minded message that autmobiles are the devil incarnate. Build more transit infrastructure by all means, but removing infrastructure for cars in a growing city is ridiculous, regressive and will virtually ensure that many of downtown's amenities will migrate to the suburbs where their customers increasingly live. Voila, Vancouverism will come to represent the creation of North America's first skyscraper suburb.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Drivers pay gas taxes, without which your noble transit users would not have affordable mass transit.
So do transit users, albeit indirectly in the form of increased shipping costs. Drivers, on the other hand, do not pay transit fees in the same way.

As for the rest of your post, I don't feel the need to respond, as

1) I'd be further contributing to an off-topic, artificially polarized discussion that, as my original post indicates, I'm not comfortable with, and
2) My comments should be seen in any case as a necessary corrective to the opposite tendency which has governed the planning of metro Vancouver suburbs for decades - namely, the belief that the automobile can do no wrong. Regardless of where I stand, I'm sure most people can agree that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. . .

Now, back to those viaducts. An additional thanks for Locked In's post - I shall have to mosey on down to that area myself sometime. . .

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 8:34 PM

Quote:
This is debatable for so many reasons:

[Your comment represents something of a tangent to the discussion. Yet, since the mods aren't calling "troll" on this, it seems fair to engage with it, especially since I'm implicated (somewhat unfairly and artificially) as one of the "car-bashers"]

1) The inner-city ghettoization of North America's urban poor from the 1950s to the 1980s, as proto-suburbanites flee the city en masse to escape the influx of racial and cultural "undesirables".
2) The enormous government subsidies required to build automobile-centred communities (at least transit users pay fees), and the shifting of deficit burdens onto everyone (including people who don't use highways personally), which in turn precludes spending on other valuable social commodities - eg. healthcare, education, etc.
3) The further subsidies required to service these unwieldy, disconnected areas with law enforcement, as well as utilities such as roads, sewers, etc.
4) The environmental toll of the automobile, whether in the form of carbon emissions, or that of encroachment onto valuable farm- and wildland by parking lots, freeways, and single family home 'neighborhoods'
5) The social toll of spatially disconnected suburban living
6) The health toll of an increasingly obese generation living in a more polluted environment - again, very taxing for the health-care system

In sum, the automobile as we know it has created enormous problems, alongside making life easier for the people who need it most - eg. tradespeople, commercial shippers, doctors and farmers. Addressing these glaring difficulties is not necessarily about eradicating one form of transport, but rather about rejecting wholesale socialized car-culture, having car owners pay user fees proportionate to the infrastructure they drive on (much like transit-riders who pay to use their system), and spending our tax dollars in ways that yield better fiscal, social and ecological dividends.
1) No, people like yards. North Americans like white picket fences, swing set, BBQs and gardening. You need property to do that. A condo is not property, it's space above someone else's, or communal, property. How is it wrong for people to want to spend their hard earned money on something tangable, something that is theirs.

As a juxaposition, there are plenty of people who think owning a condo is foolish and absurd because you don't actually own property, you own a cube in the sky.

2) Such is the way of organized scociety. Next, are you going to argue that the health care system is unfair because healthy people pay to take care of sick people or that rich people pay a higher burden than the poor? No, of course not.

The same is true with the automobile. Even if someone doesn't use a highway, their quality of life is still largely shaped by their existence. Even if you walk to work, maybe your coworkers who contribute to your company, making it a success, thus keeping you employed, do commute by car. Statistics indicate that the majority of people still drive, therefore the success of our economy is dependent on people using roadways to get to work. Your company, and your job depends on those roads existing. So if you pay taxes that go to roads you do not use, your life still benefits from that happening.

3) I didn't realize there were washrooms on the Viaduct, I should check that out next time. Joking aside, I thought adding residences would require an addition of facilities, more sewage (that needs to be disposed of), more garbage, more electricity on lines at capacity, more natural gas, and more area and homes that need police and security.

4) Again, I have to say our society is pretty well off. What do we need with more farm land. With what we have, we already produce more food per capita than we did 20 years ago, and it's only improving. With proper land and farm management, that we don't practice here as much as in Europe or even back east, we can produce the same we do now with half the land. Large swaths of the ALR in the Okanagan are being converted from orchard to vineyard, yet food in the supermarket is as cheap as it has ever been.

What kind of sacrifices would we have to make to our standard of living if we didn't have the automobile or the single family home?

I don't understand how your utopia of infinite farmland, unheard of density, and absence of the automobile would be any better than our current civilization or actually work at all.

5) What social disconnect are you referring to exactly? As far as I can tell, small towns and suburban communities have safer neighborhoods, and lower instances of crime. The Lower East Side, IS whats left of the original downtown. The suburbs have allowed generations of Canadians to be born and live happy lives. I don't know about you, but I feel safer and more happy walking around in Newton than I do the DTES, Granville Street, or Gastown, or in other major cities like San Fransisco, London, Toronto, or New York.

6) An unhealthy lifestyle isn't necessarily associated with the automobile. I know just as many malnourished people to the point of being scary thin who are broke by paying off the mortgage of their downtown condo, as I do who are fat. I also know many people who live in suburbs and take advantage of using expansive parks for things like baseball and soccer, and go for walks and play tennis. I also know people who live downtown and all they do is walk to and from work, and because they never leave the core, they never do anything physically fit, and are thus fat or otherwise unhealthy. The number of people I know who jog or play sports is many times greater in the suburbs than in the urban areas.

If anything, our obese lifestyle is brought on by the availability of high fructose foods easily accessible and cheap because of the expansive amounts of land we have available to farm. Our vast amounts of farmland contribute to us having vast amounts of food, which contributes to it being cheap to consume, which contributes to us being fat.

EDIT (addition)
Look at a country like India, where their road infrastructure is paralyzing the country. Over half of all perishable goods expire on trucks while en route to market. Our quality of life is as such, because of roads and cars, not in spite.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 8:50 PM

Thanks for the invite, BCPhil, but I've made my peace with most everyone else on this forum who don't share my views wholesale. If you read my previous post (or even read the original carefully), you would be unlikely to come away with the impression that I was suggesting that cars and the people who use them are inherently evil. My original post was intended as a corrective to the flawed notion that cars represent an increase in the standard of living, pure and simple. You don't need to accept every single point in order to acknowledge that a simplistic value judgment one way or the other is unhelpful. I was going for some nuance - perhaps this was a mistake on an online forum.

If you are suggesting the opposite (ie. that there's something inherently wrong with not using cars), or insinuating that I am making a blanket statement about people who drive, I have no time for you. Jesus, I want to see pictures and drawings, and hear ideas. Let's move on, people.

Last edited by geoff's two cents; Oct 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do you work downtown?
I did for 10 years. Cycling or took transit. Not a problem.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
The only reason there isn't constant gridlock in the core is because traffic has options on getting out. Why would you want to mess with that?

Look at what happened when at Granville & Georgia they closed 1 or 2 lanes of traffic to repair the road. Chaos. Look what happens when there is a massive accident and they close a road. Chaos. When a road is closed or even a few lanes in one block are MIA it can affect traffic all over the downtown core and into the metro region as a whole. The Granville Street bridge is much better now than it was last year while the Cambie street bridge was neutered.
All you drama kings are getting really tiresome. Case in point, a bit or even a lot of traffic congestion is so far from "chaos" it is laughable. There are much bigger issues in the world and the region than a bit of traffic congestion or imagined traffic congestion. For the past 50 years, your type of thinking has predicted the economic fall of downtown unless everything possible is done to accommodate the automobile. Back 40 years ago, it was the lack of freeways to downtown that would lead to economic ruin. Lately, it was the Burrard Bridge Trial. Then it was the Olympic closures. Now I guess the panic du jour is the tearing down of the viaducts.

You keep spouting forth the same tired rhetoric without any evidence to back it up. Meanwhile, the census proves that people who live near downtown just don't drive that much.

I understand that you don't like the idea of tearing down the viaducts. That is fine. You don't like the thought of losing something you like to use. I understand, I don't like losing things I use either. Just don't pretend that it would be a big problem for the city. There will be issues but if we all use our creativity to find ways to make it work rather than excuses why it can't, everything will be just fine. In fact, it would make the city a much better place to live in.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:12 PM

Smile Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is a very simple, elegant, and usually right motto by which BC politicians have very little ability to follow.

As it is, a huge amount of traffic flows into and out of downtown. And against all logic (and contrary to many peoples opinions) it does actually flow. Downtown is surrounded by water on 3 and a half sides, yet traffic can get out. And a huge portion of that traffic heads east as that is the direction the metro region expands.

Now, people would get used to the missing Viaducts and change their driving habits and dirstribute themselves on the other roads. Pacific and Expo would be a lot more busy than they are now, and so would W2nd/Cambie. While it wouldn't ruin anyone's life, it would degrade everyone's a bit as we all have to put up with extra traffic that wasn't there before. That includes people on buses on roads that can become gridlocked like Seymour or Hastings or Powel. I don't know about you guys, but I've been stuck on buses in downtown traffic before (not everyone can take Expo line into downtown).

And what would be the reward? A few thousand new residents? It's a relatively small area, and with the water views would be too expensive for most who are driving on the viaducts to afford.

And I don't buy that the viaducts are a barrier separating the DTES from downtown. The Viaducts are a N/S barrier, not E/W. There is nothing on the other side of the viaducts except false creek (water), and beyond that is the Plaza of nations.

Using that logic you can say that Victory Square is a barrier between the East Side and West, maybe that park should go next. If anything it's GM Place and BC Place that are the buffers, but they are also a driving force of life in downtown and the metro region. I don't hear many saying they should go and be replaced by some towers.

If we want to focus on an area for improvement, why not the Broadway Corridor? There is a lot more there in terms of under used land along Broadway. The street is littered with run down single floor commercial space. Broadway also requires rapid transit. The central part of the corridor is already a major business hub with thousands of jobs, and there is still more room to expand. The only problem is it is also one of the more difficult places to get to (especially on transit).

Would it not be more logical to spend our time and effort to build something new instead of tear something functioning down? Shouldn't we focus on expanding density and transit along the entire length of Broadway instead of a few blocks downtown?
Thank you! Great post, full of common sense. It's rather amazing, in fact, that Vancouver traffic flows as well as it does with so little lane-space compared to other North American cities.

And yes, we should be focussing on the upgrading of Broadway for sure.
It's a busy street, getting busier.

Oh, and for anyone who has not seen it, Paris has a fabulous freeway system that takes many cars off the streets.
Most of the freeway system is underground, which is why it has little visual/aesthetic impact.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:12 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
There will be issues but if we all use our creativity to find ways to make it work rather than excuses why it can't, everything will be just fine. In fact, it would make the city a much better place to live in.
Well I'm precisely waiting for that. I've done my contribution to this and I'm waiting for others to do so. This is the third time I've asked, and many members have done so before.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
All you drama kings are getting really tiresome. Case in point, a bit or even a lot of traffic congestion is so far from "chaos" it is laughable. There are much bigger issues in the world and the region than a bit of traffic congestion or imagined traffic congestion. For the past 50 years, your type of thinking has predicted the economic fall of downtown unless everything possible is done to accommodate the automobile. Back 40 years ago, it was the lack of freeways to downtown that would lead to economic ruin. Lately, it was the Burrard Bridge Trial. Then it was the Olympic closures. Now I guess the panic du jour is the tearing down of the viaducts.

You keep spouting forth the same tired rhetoric without any evidence to back it up. Meanwhile, the census proves that people who live near downtown just don't drive that much.

I understand that you don't like the idea of tearing down the viaducts. That is fine. You don't like the thought of losing something you like to use. I understand, I don't like losing things I use either. Just don't pretend that it would be a big problem for the city. There will be issues but if we all use our creativity to find ways to make it work rather than excuses why it can't, everything will be just fine. In fact, it would make the city a much better place to live in.
Your point is well made. now, my point: where are you going to put all the traffic that currently uses the viaducts daily to travel east-west in and out of downtown?

What specific concept do you have in mind?

Your ideas are fine in principle, but what are the TANGIBLE options to the viaducts, please

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure