HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 12:08 AM
BANNED

An inviting and dynamic neighborhood must be created, and that f@ckin bunker is as far from this as you can get.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
An inviting and dynamic neighborhood must be created, and that f@ckin bunker is as far from this as you can get.
Let me guess; it's better in Edmonton and Halifax, right? RIGHT?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Exactly, but all the possible layouts shown in the plan have a 10 foot setback and a "sliver park" which to me screams they are just putting up some plants to hide the fact there's nothing there. Even worse, the plan showing the possibility of the north third being one big building had parkade entrance/exits off James.
Looking at the renderings, the setbacks look pretty minor. For the type of buildings being proposed it's not that bad (although I suppose one could ask why bother with them in the first place).

Who knows how closely developers will follow the script shown in the overall site plan, but I could live with what's shown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Looking at the renderings, the setbacks look pretty minor. For the type of buildings being proposed it's not that bad (although I suppose one could ask why bother with them in the first place).

Who knows how closely developers will follow the script shown in the overall site plan, but I could live with what's shown.
Well the city owns the land and CV is overseeing development, so they'll stick to whatever script the city allows them to write.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

chill it guys

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 6:51 PM

Anyone know what's shaking with the development on the Bodega's site? Is it being redrawn or is it DOA?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:21 PM

^I heard they walked away, but was just hearsay.

I’m other news, not sure if the exchange had a different group doing snow removal this winter but 50% of curb corners got wiped out it seems. You’d think Bann & Main was under construction it got destroyed so bad. Seems like waaaaay more collateral damage from plowing than normal.

If they don’t already (which I assume) the city should send inspectors after every major clearing and charge contractors for damages. At this point it’s impossible to lay blame on someone, but the city still has to pay for the poor work to fix it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Anyone know what's shaking with the development on the Bodega's site? Is it being redrawn or is it DOA?
I was told, very challenging with all the heritage rules...moving at a snails pace.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:

I’m other news, not sure if the exchange had a different group doing snow removal this winter but 50% of curb corners got wiped out it seems. You’d think Bann & Main was under construction it got destroyed so bad. Seems like waaaaay more collateral damage from plowing than normal.

If they don’t already (which I assume) the city should send inspectors after every major clearing and charge contractors for damages. At this point it’s impossible to lay blame on someone, but the city still has to pay for the poor work to fix it.
It's built into the cost of snow removal. The company is responsible for paying the bill of damaged curbs. That's probably why you see large gaps between the curb and where the plow stops. Often there is a 12"-18" gap.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:

Cities like Montreal get twice as much snow as we do and yet somehow they manage to clear it without destroying every curb, lightpost, bench and bike rack in sight. Is there a reason the guys who plow here are so incompetent?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Cities like Montreal get twice as much snow as we do and yet somehow they manage to clear it without destroying every curb, lightpost, bench and bike rack in sight. Is there a reason the guys who plow here are so incompetent?
Not to mention clear it with much more frequency. I swear I was at my in law in Montreal during a snowfall and within the span of a few hours the street was cleared twice and the sidewalk once, before it stopped snowing on a completely residential street.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:44 PM

Letter from City yesterday indicates James Ave reconfiguration will have back-in angled parking on the north side only between Amy and Lily along with sidewalk on the north and streetscaping. $2M budget. 9 weeks.

Raised intersections at Waterfront/James & Waterfront/McDermot will also be part of the reconstruction to "help calm traffic and increase driver awareness of pedestrian crossing." This project will also include the connection of the asphalt pathway located behind the Mere Hotel with the North Winnipeg Parkway near Galt Ave. $900k. 5 weeks.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:46 PM
There is always a way

Speaking of James and waterfront, any word on the status of the pumphouse residential component?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:52 PM
BANNED

I think it's summer 2020 occupancy for the building on waterfront, so they'd have to be starting soon. also, any more news on 104 james?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:04 PM

^ From what I understand, it's going ahead again, with revised and designs and plans the City can live with... eg, no more sunken plaza in front.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:44 PM

Good to hear about the raised intersection at James and Waterfront, as well as the connecting of the paths – the city really dropped the ball on the sidewalk/AT path around the hotel. Sidewalk should have continued along the street, and ideally no loading bay, but just a standard cut-out loading zone for the hotel.

It's funny just yesterday as I waited to turn onto Waterfront as people sped by, was thinking the city should really square off all the street corners along Waterfront, the big round corners make it more dangerous for pedestrians, and allow cars to peel into and out of corners with lots of speed. Makes no sense there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:46 PM

^ The city has an obsession with inserting round corners and slip lanes wherever possible. It's as though it avoids putting in a proper 90 degree angle intersection at all costs. It can't resist chipping away walkability and pedestrian safety to improve traffic flow 0.02%.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:50 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
^ The city has an obsession with inserting round corners and slip lanes wherever possible. It's as though it avoids putting in a proper 90 degree angle intersection at all costs. It can't resist chipping away walkability and pedestrian safety to improve traffic flow 0.02%.
This was one of the first things to jump out at me when I came to Winnipeg. Seems like every semi-major intersection outside downtown has slip lanes. Guess it's just a product of the development era though.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
This was one of the first things to jump out at me when I came to Winnipeg. Seems like every semi-major intersection outside downtown has slip lanes. Guess it's just a product of the development era though.
I can live with slip lanes in suburbia but they are a hindrance downtown. For example, the one at York and Main is downright absurd.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I can live with slip lanes in suburbia but they are a hindrance downtown. For example, the one at York and Main is downright absurd.
Especially considering that's a main entrance to The Forks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan