HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I tend not to leave my bikes unattended, and they are always in my house when I am not using them. To many people have had them stolen form their garages. Last bike stolen was in TO. Then I just used Pawn shop bikes to get around.

Here even if the bike is on my car rack I have 3 locks on it. When out on a group ride we leave one person with the bikes when we stop for a coffee or drink.

there is a pretty good network here when bikes get stolen. reporting to police and online are easy and if the bike gets put on Kijji or another site they are found quickly. most riders I know are now placing their bikes inside their vehicle when traveling. apparently thieves are watching and tracking the cars to their homes then steeling them from the garage.

A number of years back I had my DH bike on the roof rack. when I came back to the car after grabbing a coffee. the bike was hanging from the rack with the cable lock. there was blood beside the car. apparently the guy trying to steel it didn't know you had to be careful when taking a 40lb bike of a roof rack.
How are these thieves getting into people's garages?

I keep my bike in my garage during the riding season, as it's a pain to keep keep moving it to/from the basement.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
How are these thieves getting into people's garages?

I keep my bike in my garage during the riding season, as it's a pain to keep keep moving it to/from the basement.
Not hard, if you have a garage opener guys are finding way to over ride it. but most garage doors can be easily broken.

when spending a few thousand on a bike I prefer to make sure its safe. the only bike I found hard to move was my DH.
MTB, Cross/Gravel and road bike are easy and light. plus my work stand is beside where I store them so easy maintenance.

I Think I have only done about 1/2 of them so far.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:46 PM

Edmonton's urban mountain bike trails.

Trails:710 Distance:407 km Descent:10,282 m Vertical:162 m Highest Trail:769 m

Some stats form Edmonton Mountain Bike Alliance.

https://www.edmmtnbike.ca/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In other cycling news, after a couple of stages Mike Woods of Ottawa is in 9th place at the Tour de France, 51 seconds away from the leader.

Québécois cyclist Hugo Houle is 85th place, 9 minutes back.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:14 PM

My bikes live in my basement, only my commuter stays in the garage. Basements are much harder to break into, and people don't see all my bikes when the o/h door is up. Even when I'm washing all the dirt off my bike after a ride, the O/H door in my garage is only up enough to let water run out.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In other cycling news, after a couple of stages Mike Woods of Ottawa is in 9th place at the Tour de France, 51 seconds away from the leader.

Québécois cyclist Hugo Houle is 85th place, 9 minutes back.
Haven't watched it yet but nice to see MW still doing ok. Big hills are coming.

Looks like Hugo is doing domestiquing duties.

also need to watch the Giro Rosa for Karol-Ann Canuel and Leah Kirchmann
Canuel is 33 3:17 back. Kirchman is 44 4:57 back but was 5th in stage 4.

Last edited by Airboy; Jul 8, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Not hard, if you have a garage opener guys are finding way to over ride it. but most garage doors can be easily broken.

when spending a few thousand on a bike I prefer to make sure its safe. the only bike I found hard to move was my DH.
MTB, Cross/Gravel and road bike are easy and light. plus my work stand is beside where I store them so easy maintenance.

I Think I have only done about 1/2 of them so far.
Our bikes are only worth about 500 bucks each (or they'd be worth that new). My garage door is easy to open, and sometimes we even forget it open overnight. Never had any issues - but maybe I shouldn't jinx things.

My neighbourhood has very little petty crime even.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Our bikes are only worth about 500 bucks each (or they'd be worth that new). My garage door is easy to open, and sometimes we even forget it open overnight. Never had any issues - but maybe I shouldn't jinx things.

My neighbourhood has very little petty crime even.
Areas that are getting hit most are affluent areas. Guys and Gals that can afford 5-6,000+ dollar bikes. Just watch the Edmonton Mountain bike facebook site and the road sites.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 7:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
He's carved out a nice little career for himself after only having started riding professionally at the age of 27. Though he was an athlete before then, running track, so it's not as if he just suddenly took an interest in the sport out of the blue.

Interesting how a lot of successful cyclists keep winning well into their thirties, by contrast with other sports. Undoubtedly this is due to the low impact on the joints and the lack of body contact (well, save for crashes).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
He's carved out a nice little career for himself after only having started riding professionally at the age of 27. Though he was an athlete before then, running track, so it's not as if he just suddenly took an interest in the sport out of the blue.

Interesting how a lot of successful cyclists keep winning well into their thirties, by contrast with other sports. Undoubtedly this is due to the low impact on the joints and the lack of body contact (well, save for crashes).
Agreed. Swen Tuft was similar. But what I have found as a coach, if you are an athlete of their calibre you tend to carry the ability long into your life.

Rowers are the other group that can have very long careers. I remember one Olympic crew average age was mid to late 30s. and there are still some individuals still racing at high level in their 40s. Most come from other sports.

Speaking of long cycling careers Mariane Vos is also a super athlete.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 8:59 PM

The smart thing to do for your bikes is to register them on those websites that track serial numbers and all that. I know of a few people who got stolen bikes back that way, one even got to be part of a police sting that netted dozens of stolen bikes lol.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:52 AM

Also keep them locked to something even while they are inside your garage

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The smart thing to do for your bikes is to register them on those websites that track serial numbers and all that. I know of a few people who got stolen bikes back that way, one even got to be part of a police sting that netted dozens of stolen bikes lol.
First thing we tell people.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:56 PM

finally getting proper bike IDs for theft return.

City police working with local bike shops and a non profit.

Facebook page dedicated to bike theft has helped at this point.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ndex-1.5205678

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:36 AM

Updated map of Halifax's all-ages-and-abilities cycling network, now under construction and scheduled for completion in 2022:

(Source: HRM)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:07 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Am I missing something? Why bother having a "potential rail station" icon in the legend if they're not even going to bother using it?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 3:52 AM

They showed potential rail stations in the previous iteration of this plan (from 2017 Integrated Mobility Plan). Since the talks with CN fell through they removed them, but forgot to remove the legend item I guess.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 2:40 AM
Community Guy

Why bike when you can scoot. Now in Edmonton!

Lime/Bird

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:16 AM
Community Guy

Our inaugural Open Streets took place today on Jasper Avenue... a wee success

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1165834094158045190

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Our inaugural Open Streets took place today on Jasper Avenue... a wee success

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1165834094158045190
The Giro Del Centro was also yesterday in Little Italy. More streets closed for festivals and no cars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada