HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 1:52 AM

Second Toronto NHL Team?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

About as likely as the Beatles getting back together.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:16 AM
Beer me Captain

Second ME on this one ... BTW, shouldn't this be in the Toronto section? Or at least the Ontario section??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:26 AM
Look at me!

many big cities in the world have more than 1 football club, or cricket team or Baseball team, or whatever. Why not in hockey?

That said, are Torontonians that fed up with the laughs that they want to re-tool from scratch?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
many big cities in the world have more than 1 football club, or cricket team or Baseball team, or whatever. Why not in hockey?
The Los Angeles area has two NHL teams, and the New York area has three, so it's not even unprecedented in the NHL.

Quote:
That said, are Torontonians that fed up with the laughs that they want to re-tool from scratch?
Leafs tickets are hard to get, so yes.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:34 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Montreal even had two teams before the Original Six period.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:36 AM
Look at me!

2 stanley cups

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Nov 23, 2011 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 9:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Agree 100%. Melbourne has no fewer than 9 football teams, surely much larger Toronto could support 3-4 NHL teams. Montreal should have more than 1 as well.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree 100%. Melbourne has no fewer than 9 football teams, surely much larger Toronto could support 3-4 NHL teams. Montreal should have more than 1 as well.
As with Toronto look at the population take in to account the massive amount of new canadians comming in many from non hockey areas but soccer/rugby mad areas my point is no i don't think toronto could support 3-4 1 more no question maybe another on say in hamilton but thats about it.As with montreal its a bit unique with how close it is to ottawa i am not sure if 3 teams in a 2 hours drive would work out all that well in this area maybe it could work but i think it would be hard on the senators as it would be the same distance for people from the east end to go to montreal as it is to go to the scotia bank place.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
Transit Nerd

I think Quebec City should get the next one. That or Saskatchewan, since they can apparently afford such things with their resource boom

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
BTW, shouldn't this be in the Toronto section? Or at least the Ontario section??
Didn't you know, this is the Toronto section.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Second ME on this one ... BTW, shouldn't this be in the Toronto section? Or at least the Ontario section??
Nah, cause it's a national league.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:10 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Something tells me that this is the second toronto NHL team.

http://www.torontolegacy.com/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:15 AM

Gawd no........

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:28 PM

Over Bettman's dead dwarf body, it might interfere with his master plan to expand the NHL to Mexico..first team the Mexico city toreros,then it's off to south America with the Rio carnivals

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:16 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Winnipeg is proof positive that if you have an arena, and ownership willing to gamble, the NHL will move franchises up north. Bettman will swear up and down that this isn't going to happen anymore, but we all know the truth - at least half a dozen NHL teams are in dire straits right now and the ONLY reason they're staying put is that there's nowhere for them to play. There are cities with an arena but no owner (Kansas City) and cities with an owner but no arena (Quebec City, this is changing soon). If the GTA builds another arena and has willing ownership, they'll almost certainly get a team in short order. It may come with a $2-300 million expansion/relocation/territory fee, but they'll get one.

The Coyotes are looking ever-more-likely to move to Quebec for next season. The floodgates have opened, and Winnipeg was just the first. I forsee 9-10 Canadian franchises before this is all done, unless the US somehow has a miracle economic recovery in the next 5 years. The NHL isn't stupid, they're businessmen. If they can make more money in Canada, they'll come crawling back.

Oh wait, they already did.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Well, a second Toronto area NHL team, if it were ever awarded, would certainly "work". Games would be well-attended, decent corporate sponsorships would be obtained, a lucrative TV contract would be secured, and viewers would watch the games. People would buy merchandise. All of this is a near-certainty.

(Sounds like crude capitalist logic, I know.)

However, the fly in the ointment is the NHL's stamp of approval. This will not happen until the situation in the U.S. becomes so dire* that the only two choices are a) relocating floundering teams and b) contraction. (*Not sure if things will ever get that bad, but we shall see...)

Now, no league wants to contract unless it absolutely has to. It is truly the last resort, and is far less interesting than a franchise move which at least allows you to recoup some of your losses (sometimes even to make a bit of money) and save face. Even if it means moving to a place you don't really want to go to, and that just a few weeks before the move you were telling everyone that there were NO plans to move ANY franchises. Right Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Over Bettman's dead dwarf body, it might interfere with his master plan to expand the NHL to Mexico..first team the Mexico city toreros,then it's off to south America with the Rio carnivals
Nahh, he's gonna have a NHL team of girls in Rio, and call them the Girls from Impanema. A marketplace smash.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:45 PM

If the Leafs would allow a team in their territory, Hamilton would have had a team years ago.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:59 PM

there are rumours that maple leaf entertainment (whatever the company is called) might sell to an American investment firm for 1.5 billion (they refused my 1.4 billion offer)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto