HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:33 PM

IMO, the Quebec bridge is the most impressive bridge in Canada. If it were by itself, the Pierre Laporte would easily be in the top 5.

The pair bear a resemblance to the Forth Bridge combo.

Incidentally, Quebec City and Edinburgh have other urban similarities.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 10:12 PM

Lions Gate Bridge / Stanley Park:

Video Link

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 12:13 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
IMO, the Quebec bridge is the most impressive bridge in Canada.
For all the men who died in building it, it probably should hold that title forever. Certainly the most consequential engineering project in Canadian history.

I have a lot of Quebec bridge postcards.

This was what the bridge was supposed to look like. It's hard to believe that people eyeballing this design at the time wouldn't have wondered how strong a structure this was going to be ...

The New Quebec Bridge par wintorbos, on ipernity

Here's the before and after of the part that actually did get built. I hadn't realized that the collapse occurred at such an early stage.

4628. [Quebec Bridge] par wintorbos, on ipernity

Unbelievable...

Wreck of Quebec Bridge (1) par wintorbos, on ipernity

The second time around, the design was more plausible:

6021. Quebec Bridge - Anchor and Cantilever Arms Completely Erected. par wintorbos, on ipernity

One of my favourites:

6024. Quebec Bridge. Main Support on which the Bridge Rests. par wintorbos, on ipernity

The final step:

4673. Hoisting the Span, Quebec Bridge. par wintorbos, on ipernity

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^magnificent structure, and truly my favourite bridge in the country.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Thanks for that very informative video
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
always a great ride.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:26 AM

I'm annoyed at the idea that the Orleans Island bridge will be replaced, I've always found that using it (it stands out for its narrowness and age/style too IMO) was a part of the experience/charm of going to the island.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm annoyed at the idea that the Orleans Island bridge will be replaced, I've always found that using it (it stands out for its narrowness and age/style too IMO) was a part of the experience/charm of going to the island.
the new bridge should look great. cable-stayed bridge

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 2:31 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Cloverdale footbridge, now closed off and about to be demolished to make way for the new Valley Line LRT Tawatinâ Bridge:

Waterdale Bridge arches are now fully self-supporting; falsework has been moved to support building the bridge deck from either side:

Lots more photos here:
http://skyrisecities.com/forum/threa...2#post-1133659

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 8:25 PM

102 Ave Bridge over Groat Rd finally open:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:46 AM

Jacques-Cartier Bridge by me.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 6:19 AM
Beer me Captain

Nipigon cable stayed bridge

Two weekends ago I got a chance to crawl over the "famous" Nipigon bridge that is still under construction.

1. The second span is being constructed parallel to the span opened last year. While it will be a functionally "separate" bridge, once things are finished, it will all look like one common span and bridge.

An interesting fact about these spans is evident in this picture. You can notice that the existing span is roughly 3m higher than the train bridge to the right. It is also roughly the same height above the old road bridge. The reason for this was to ensure that both pedestrian and vehicle traffic are able to look over the train bridge to Nipigon bay. (note that the bridge side barriers are open on this bridge unlike many other new bridges to ensure that this view is accessible.

2. It always amazes me how much scaffolding is needed to build bridges. The road deck is 150 feet above the access below, so there is only one way up!

3. They were working on the pier supports that go 150 feet to the valley floor and then another 50 feet to the pilings. So 200 of feet of rebar that will be filled with high pressure concrete that needs to be pumped up from the valley below. Always amazing.

4. Ivan and the team were modelling some of the 200+ kms of rebar that go into each of the piers. The steelworkers are from Ontario and include a couple local FNs. The cable team are from Spain and some of the concrete teams are from the US. A truly multinational operation.

5. Here is a close up of how the spans connect to the central pier. Obviously this is for the outside spans, but the inside ones connect pretty much the same. For a complex system, this is pretty "basic".

Top:

Bottom:

Again, the two spans will be functionally separate, however you can see the rebar sticking out that will be used to support the concrete "connection" between the two spans. It will cover the gap, but will not offer any real structural support.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 6:20 AM
Beer me Captain

6. This shot shows the approximate view from the car deck of Nipigon bay. On the old bridge, the view would have been blocked by the train bridge.

7. The central piers are made of 19 pre-cast components made in Calgary by the same firm that did the West LRT. In fact, all the concrete on the Nipigon bridge will be painted "C-train grey". Seriously, that is what the colour is called!

8. As this bridge forms part of the pathway network from the Lake Helen IR to the town of Nipigon, it includes a cantilevered pedestrian component on the north side. Unfortunately the bridge was not made high enough to overlook the hill to lake Helen however the view is still nice (and you will be able to see lake Superior over the roadway). The centre of the walkway does include a bulge out that will include a reference to the local FN community as well as benches and a roof. The local FNs have been heavily involved in the design and realization of the bridge and are fully supportive of many aspects of the walkway. It should be a nice finished product.

West End:
Centre:

East end:

The white plastic coverings will be removed prior to opening and a covering concrete layer will be laid down. The cool thing is under the plastic wraps is a ceramic dampening system that dampers the cable stresses before the meet the mounts. It will be covered up in the final state, but it was cool to look at it to see the impact of the "stress" from the failure this past winter.

9. We then went underneath. You can see part of the underside gantry system in this shot, but more importantly is the amount of slack in the cables. Once the bridge spans are complete, there will be dialled up however this really emphasizes how those who felt cable contraction caused the issue really knew not what they spoke about.

10. The gantry system to install cables and painting. This is great example of a rushed design. Whoever did the underneath work forgot that there will be a pathway pretty much where this picture is taken. While the gantry will be gone, it would have been pretty easy to climb up into the cable runs.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 6:23 AM
Beer me Captain

11. And now the culprit. Since Del Duca has said that the investigation is "still ongoing" I won't say why the bridge actually failed last Christmas, however here is the bearing that was the point of failure. If you look closely, you can see a bunch of empty bolt holes.

12. Here is the bearing on the other side with a vibration meter. As the bridge is still not "dialled in" it is vibrates more than it will once complete. Was pretty cool to be underneath when a large truck passed overhead!

13. And here is the fix that is performing the function that the failed bearing could not.

14. The fix as it appears from the top. As part of the solution, they had to bore through 18 inches of concrete in -25 weather. And the wind was kinda bitch too

15. In the end, both spans will be built and it will be a beautiful bridge, though I do expect the media to comment on how much vibration there will be on the final bridge pedestrian walkway, just due to the events of last winter.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 1:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The amount of construction going on for the Transcanada in Northern Ontario is pretty impressive. Especially considering how steep many of the hills are.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 4:11 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Beautiful morning to build a bridge, eh?

Tons more photos:
http://skyrisecities.com/forum/threa...2#post-1145580

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
The amount of construction going on for the Transcanada in Northern Ontario is pretty impressive. Especially considering how steep many of the hills are.
Also blasting through the Canadian Shield does not come cheap.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:13 PM

Hopefully there will be a considerable amount done when I plan to do another cross Canada drive. Say in a year or 2. Just need the Yellowhead upgraded in Manitoba and Eastern Sask.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Hopefully there will be a considerable amount done when I plan to do another cross Canada drive. Say in a year or 2. Just need the Yellowhead upgraded in Manitoba and Eastern Sask.
Traffic is typically so light on that stretch of road that I doubt you'd have any problems driving on it the way it is.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 12:15 AM

The last few times the truck traffic was more an issue. Last did it 2005.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada