HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Camrose, Cochrane, Okotoks, Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Drumheller, and Lacombe are all nice small cities to visit, and I imagine, live in.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:47 AM

^I take exception to that comment. I personally like Brooks. There's more to it than initially meets the eye. Nice central area in that town. Lots of cool hole-in-the-wall restaurants with a real 'saloon/western' feel to them (Garth's is most excellent).

If all you're looking at when you look at Brooks what you see from the Trans Canada, and perhaps that it's downwind from a meat-packing plant, then yes, it's less desirable. On the flipside, you have one of Southern Alberta's nicest lakes on your doorstep (Newell), as well as a UNESCO world heritage site and arguably better collection of badlands than Drumheller -- Dinosaur Provincial Park. Countless irrigation canals where you can park a car and swim in to beat the heat, and you're more likely to get 30 C with sun in Brooks than just about anywhere else in Alberta (possible exception being Medicine Hat).

It's the staple Alberta prairie town.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:25 AM
Registered Hipster

Airdrie, Cochrane, Banff & Lacombe.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
^I take exception to that comment. I personally like Brooks. There's more to it than initially meets the eye. Nice central area in that town. Lots of cool hole-in-the-wall restaurants with a real 'saloon/western' feel to them (Garth's is most excellent).

If all you're looking at when you look at Brooks what you see from the Trans Canada, and perhaps that it's downwind from a meat-packing plant, then yes, it's less desirable. On the flipside, you have one of Southern Alberta's nicest lakes on your doorstep (Newell), as well as a UNESCO world heritage site and arguably better collection of badlands than Drumheller -- Dinosaur Provincial Park. Countless irrigation canals where you can park a car and swim in to beat the heat, and you're more likely to get 30 C with sun in Brooks than just about anywhere else in Alberta (possible exception being Medicine Hat).

It's the staple Alberta prairie town.
Maybe you are right. I was too harsh on Brooks. You would not believe the negativity many in the town have towards their town. There is a lot of racial tension in Brooks too, but if you could look on the positive side, it has it's charms.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 12:03 AM

Rosebud.

Lovely little town.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:25 AM
dvdktn

Stavely, Canmore, and Okotoks are my favorite.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 5:19 AM

My favorate small towns:

Bashaw
Forestburg
Vulcan
Vauxhall
Trochu
Ardrossan

Favorate Mid-sized towns:

Canmore
Camrose
Lacombe
Banff
Drumheller
Ponoka

As far as cities go, I LOVE Lethbridge, St. Albert and Edmonton! I think they are just wonderful cities. Med hat is ok, but to brown. Red Deer has beautiful parks and some lovely areas but has become way to industrial and "Calgaryesque". Calgary gets old in a few minutes for me (except the downtown is excellent!). I find it to "Americanized", brown and overrated. Not to mention polluted with wanna-be cowboys. It has it's nice areas but does not hold a candle to Edmonton!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 8:50 AM

Jasper...No Doubt About It

Jasper's got it all, at least everything I need. Mountain trails, modest development, nice ski hill.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
Getting sick of the NCF

I cant say much for Banff, overcrowed... Some asian guy tried to take my little brothers picture! Shit like that happens EVERY time I go there,
Natural beauty aint everything people!

As for towns I do like, Cochrane knocks it out of the park for me. FANTASTIC homemade Ice-cream in Mackays, great western feel to the buildings, great view of the mountains driving in from the east on Highway 1A, Canadian Pacific runs through the Centre of town (I bet not everyone who lives thinks this is so great), & many other things make it a great place to spend my summer day.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:39 AM

The towns I find most appealing are the small railroad towns in the EDM-CGY corridor that are pretty much ghost towns, I find them to be very cool

For cities, none of the above

I also like some other towns like Sexsmith and Peace River

Basically the older the better

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 6:03 AM

Another Cochrane vote.

best thing about it is I can cut through it as a shortcut driving from Edmonton to Banff. Skipping Calgary and saving an hour in the process is absolutely wonderful.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Ducker View Post
Another Cochrane vote.

best thing about it is I can cut through it as a shortcut driving from Edmonton to Banff. Skipping Calgary and saving an hour in the process is absolutely wonderful.
NOT a shortcut!

I drive Canmore-St Albert fairly often. Stoney Trail is at least 15 minutes faster than Morley - 1A to Cochrane - 22 / 567 to Airdrie. Shorter too. Once the Crowchild and Nose Hill interchanges are done, it will shave another 5 off.

At the other end, once Anthony Henday is done, it will shave off another 10-15.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 9:38 PM
HVAC guru

I hate that Cochrane "shortcut" almost as much as having to drive through Calgary. Can't wait till all of the Stoney ring road is done so I can bypass the city alltogether on my way through to hwy 22

Might still be a while for that one though

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I hate that Cochrane "shortcut" almost as much as having to drive through Calgary. Can't wait till all of the Stoney ring road is done so I can bypass the city alltogether on my way through to hwy 22

Might still be a while for that one though
Stoney Trail is open between 17 Ave SE and the Trans Canada Hwy (west). There is still construction happening at Crowchild Trail (Hwy 1A), however the overpasses are partially open so the lights on Stoney Trail are gone. Nose Hill Drive interchange construction is starting this summer.

I agree that the Cochrane "shortcut" is no longer really a short cut, it's becoming fairly slow to go through Cochrane on Hwy 22 and if you're coming from Hwy 2, you have to go through either Olds or Airdrie.

Back to topic on the thread, Cochrane is a nice town in the Calgary area

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 12:27 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfaninalberta View Post
My favorate small towns:

Bashaw
I never even knew Bashaw existed, then I met my wife and her family has a cabin up at Pelican Point on Buffalo lake. So over the last 5 years or so the town of Bashaw has become a place I've become quite familiar with.

Love the main street, going into town to hit up the butcher (and order up some of the pies that his mom still makes) and sometimes grab a beer at the bar.

Plus two pretty nice 9 hole golf courses right in the area.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 8:25 AM

I have only lived in the province for around a year, so have yet to travel around too much, but from the places I have ventured out to, my favorites would be

Banff, Canmore, Cochrane, and Legal

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 9:21 PM

my favs are Cochrane, Canmore, Banff, Beaumont, Jasper, Sylvan Lake, Rocky Mountain House, St. Albert, New Sarepta.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 4:12 AM
GO FLAMES GO

Turner Valley and Black Diamond, they are both kind of crusty and hodge podge but I love their proximity to the mountains.... I think they have a lot of potential...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 6:16 AM

Carstairs. Used to live there.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 7:26 PM

18-Story Building in Prince Rupert under major renovations

The 18-Story Highliner Hotel in Prince Rupert is getting a major renovation of all rooms/lobby, exterior is being painted top to bottom, new awnings/signage and the famed tower clock is being re-installed later this year.

This building is owned by the Aquilini Group, looks like they are serious about updating a lot of their properties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia