HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:08 PM
Hare Expert

University of Toronto

So thanks to the program I'm in, I'm trapped in the engineering buildings all the time. (Guess which program... ) As a result I haven't had much time to go to other parts of campus. What sort of cool buildings and places are there to explore?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:35 PM

My favourite places to hang out at U oft T are: Philosopher's Walk, Victoria College, University College inner courtyard/quadrangle (where I asked my first g/f out), and Bahen Centre for IT. St. Mike's College and Trinity College are also very beautiful. Make sure you check out Trinity's Quadrangle. The Terrance Donnelly Building and MaRS are also a couple of my favourite buildings/complexes in the entire city.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:37 PM

I attend St Mike's College.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 1:54 AM
Hare Expert

The Bahen's cool, but I have lots of classes in there. Further exploration is required on the upper floors, though. Terrance Donnelley looks super cool, I've been meaning to check it out for a while. I think I'll have time during finals..

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:54 AM

My favourite part of the Bahen Centre are those super cool spiral staircases. Feels very surreal and futuristic. One of the city's best kept interior secrets/gems. Amazing building overall!

Photo by Coolnalu on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80585385@N00/2567617431

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:09 PM

^^ Gorgeous! I had no idea that existed!

As far as modern architecture goes , I really like the Leslie L Dan Pharmacy Building on the north west corner of University/College.

The contrast between the minimalist glass box atrium and super vibrant colored lanterns that seem to want to burst out is superb.

Highrise developers take note!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-tan/6204116570/

The Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:48 PM
Hare Expert

There's now a giant orb in the atrium of that building. I've been told it's a study area. (i.e. you can go inside it.) I'll have to find out if that's true or not.

Edit: Never mind, the orb's in there.

Last edited by Vascilli; Dec 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:58 PM

I can't wait till the new Rotman building opens. The top floors should offer great views of the skyline.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 10:52 PM

http://news.utoronto.ca/faculty-law-...lding-campaign

Faculty of Law formally launches building campaign

New benchmarks set as law firms Osler and Torys each give unprecedented gifts of more than $2 million

Lucianna Ciccocioppo

Quote:
More than 200 alumni and friends of the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law gathered Nov. 29 to celebrate the launch of a $35-million campaign for the faculty’s $53-million building that will help to position Canada’s number one law school for a future of boundless leadership, potential and vision.
Quote:
...More than $19.4 million in private donations has been raised. The private funds, combined with $18 million in support from the University of Toronto, have resulted in 70 per cent of the funds required to make the new building a reality.
Quote:
The new building will increase space by 50 per cent, to 66,000 square feet, and will have three distinct elements: a multi-storey wing on Queen’s Park Crescent; an extensive interior renovation to the Bora Laskin Law Library; and a light renovation to Flavelle House.This state-of-the-art building will enable the law school to continue to compete for top law students and world-renowned faculty.

...Designed by Toronto firm Hariri Pontarini, the new structure completes a cultural and architectural renaissance along Philosopher’s Walk and in the Avenue Road and Bloor Street quadrant, which includes the Royal Ontario Museum’s Michael Lee-Chin Crystal and the Royal Conservatory’s Telus Centre for Performance and Learning.
More renderings here: http://hariripontarini.com/projects/...ty-of-law-uoft

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto