HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:17 PM

Hopefully the competition would make mlse lower their goddamn prices.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:18 PM

If Toronto is such a huge hockey market as is believed, why do Toronto Marlies games and the OHL teams' games in the area draw so horribly? In both cases, they are near the bottom of the leagues in attendance. Is there any reason to believe a second NHL team wouldn't be the same? Toronto is a Leafs' town, not a hockey town. The Leafs probably should play their games at Rogers Centre given the demand.

In other markets with overlaps (Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton), their counterparts are all high up in attendance.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:18 PM
User Registered

Kitchener, Hamilton, London, and now Markham?

Why not have a second one right in Toronto? At least Markham is within the CMA... Mississauga could also be a great choice as that city's population is now really up there.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Over Bettman's dead dwarf body, it might interfere with his master plan to expand the NHL to Mexico..first team the Mexico city toreros,then it's off to south America with the Rio carnivals
Nahh, he's gonna have a NHL team of girls in Rio, and call them the Girls from Impanema. A marketplace smash.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
. The Leafs probably should play their games at Rogers Centre given the demand.

Yeah, bring your microscope to follow the puck.

Maybe they could even open the dome on fair evenings!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:15 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Second ME on this one ... BTW, shouldn't this be in the Toronto section? Or at least the Ontario section??
Nah, cause it's a national league.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 6:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
If Toronto is such a huge hockey market as is believed, why do Toronto Marlies games and the OHL teams' games in the area draw so horribly? In both cases, they are near the bottom of the leagues in attendance. Is there any reason to believe a second NHL team wouldn't be the same? Toronto is a Leafs' town, not a hockey town.
Arguably it shows that Toronto is an NHL town.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:03 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

We also have to keep in mind that I think after the fail bomb that was the Atlanta Thrashers; I am willing to bet that the NHL and owners of the teams struggling are now going into overdrive to try and bring public awareness to hockey, get them to a game, and in turn make them fans.

Quote:
If Toronto is such a huge hockey market as is believed, why do Toronto Marlies games and the OHL teams' games in the area draw so horribly? In both cases, they are near the bottom of the leagues in attendance.
That is highly misleading dude, OHL arenas usually have a seating capacity of less then 10,000, while WHL arenas in the case of the Hitmen and the Oil Kings usually share the same arena as they're NHL counterparts.

Plus the Marlies play in Ricoh Coliseum, that houses less then 10,000 seats. But yes, I agree that it might be time for the Marlies to move elsewhere.

Last edited by blacktrojan3921; Nov 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
If Toronto is such a huge hockey market as is believed, why do Toronto Marlies games and the OHL teams' games in the area draw so horribly? In both cases, they are near the bottom of the leagues in attendance. Is there any reason to believe a second NHL team wouldn't be the same? Toronto is a Leafs' town, not a hockey town. The Leafs probably should play their games at Rogers Centre given the demand.

In other markets with overlaps (Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton), their counterparts are all high up in attendance.
What NHL market does Vancouver overlap with

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
What NHL market does Vancouver overlap with
I think they meant major junior hockey. Vancouver has a WHL team, as do the other cities mentioned (Ottawa in the OHL though).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
i think they meant major junior hockey. Vancouver has a whl team, as do the other cities mentioned (ottawa in the ohl though).
i c.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post

That is highly misleading dude, OHL arenas usually have a seating capacity of less then 10,000, while WHL arenas in the case of the Hitmen and the Oil Kings usually share the same arena as they're NHL counterparts.

Plus the Marlies play in Ricoh Coliseum, that houses less then 10,000 seats. But yes, I agree that it might be time for the Marlies to move elsewhere.
But what does arena size have to do with attendance? The Marlies couldn't fill a 5,000-seat arena, let alone one that seats 10,000.

People don't go to junior games in Calgary and Edmonton because their arenas are bigger, they go there because they like to watch hockey.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
And the Ottawa Senators actually have two major junior teams in their market: the Ottawa 67's (averaging 5,000-8,000 fans per game depending on the year), plus the Gatineau Olympiques who play about 2 km away from Parliament Hill and who generally average between 2,5000 and 3,000 fans per game.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And the Ottawa Senators actually have two major junior teams in their market: the Ottawa 67's (averaging 5,000-8,000 fans per game depending on the year), plus the Gatineau Olympiques who play about 2 km away from Parliament Hill and who generally average between 2,5000 and 3,000 fans per game.
That is some pretty large variability

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 7:54 PM

A Hamilton team not only makes more sense from a league perspective, but it would be a huge boon to Hamilton.

And quite frankly, the average Torontonian would probably be able to get to Hamilton for a game and back for a hell of a lot cheaper than to go to a Toronto game, regardless of how many teams they have.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:16 PM

Quote:
If Toronto is such a huge hockey market as is believed, why do Toronto Marlies games and the OHL teams' games in the area draw so horribly? In both cases, they are near the bottom of the leagues in attendance.
You obviously don't know much about hockey. The Marlies are an AHL team and few people if any actually care about the AHL.
By your logic Montreal is not a hockey market either. The Montreal QMJHL team has lower attandance then Mississauga and Oshawa.
Fact is that once a city has an NHL the minor league teams are forgotten.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
I don't know if that is particularly a fact.

Calgary and Vancouver were one and two in WHL attendance last year and both have NHL teams (well I suppose its debatable as to whether the flames qualify as an NHL team...)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:30 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
Which, as has been mentioned, is not the case in Alberta (and probably BC; I'm not sure how well the Giants do).

Edit: I was beaten to it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:39 PM
Look at me!

It seems to me that if Montreal was able to carry two successful NHL teams in the 1920's and 30's, Montreal (and Toronto) should be able nowadays.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Which, as has been mentioned, is not the case in Alberta (and probably BC; I'm not sure how well the Giants do).

Edit: I was beaten to it.
Oshawa's number are just as high as Edmonton's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
(well I suppose its debatable as to whether the flames qualify as an NHL team...)
When is the last time the Leafs made the playoffs and when is the last time the Flames have? Thought so

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto