HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 7:24 AM

9 Secret Floors Around the World

For a bit of fun
Quote:
Secret floors have long captured the imagination; conspiracy theorists love to imagine that government buildings keep their darkest secrets within sealed-off stories. In the 1960 Twilight Zone episode “The After Hours,” the ninth floor of a department store is where the mannequins mysteriously come to life. Meanwhile, the hidden 7th-and-a-half floor of the Mertin-Flemmer building in New York was a portal for John Cusack into the actual brain of John Malkovich in the movie Being John Malkovich.

While these mysteries may have come from a writer’s imagination, there are notable buildings that have whole secret floors right under your nose—if you know where to look.
The secret floors

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 1:26 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I wish I could get a tour of the 'secret floors' at Burrard and Commercial-Broadway stations. Are there any other stations that have service levels? Any other places of note in Vancouver like like the former viewing deck / penthouse at the top of the Marine building?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:59 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Stadium/Chinatown has a few nooks that were later closed to the public and are now used as storage or offices. The Beatty Street East walkway is a classic. Unless you walk to the Lost and Found you'd never know it was there.
I do however know that as late as September 2010 there was still what remained of the Dunsmuir Tunnel visible in the excavation pit of the highrises now above the Costco. I'm not sure if they've since backfilled the rest of the tunnel under Beatty Street or the cavity is still accessible within the building for inspection purposes only. It would be rather dumb to leave a massive void that big under the road and completely sealed off.

Original photographer unknown.

Linked, because they're massive images.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...N/34f720dd.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...N/4a6be2f6.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...platoscave.jpg

I've never seen it myself, but rumor has it that Granville station has a second access tunnel somewhere. I have clue no where it emerges and no way to confirm this besides a photograph.

"Driving Skytrain Access Tunnel 25 Meters Below St. Regis Hotel
Granville Skytrain Station
Vancouver, BC"

Image courtesy of BlastingConsultants.com

Last edited by MIPS; Feb 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues