HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:12 PM

I have been all over the country and no doubt that our freeway system is one of the best in the nation extensive, organize well lit up and fast growing

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:23 PM

Stiffest opposition to Prop. 105 came from areas with light rail lines or plans

This article states the biggest support for Prop 105 came from South Phoenix along Central (as expected) but those neighborhoods with light rail already running through it or planned, were the most opposed to Prop 105. Great news.

https://www.azmirror.com/2019/09/16/...ines-or-plans/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The math seems a little off in this part of the article:

Construction begins in September and is estimated to take three years with its completion in 2023.

We're looking at more than three years, perhaps closer to four, if construction begins imminently and will be done sometime in 2023.

Edit: Here's something from Valley Metro that says the earliest stages of construction will begin in October:

https://www.valleymetro.org/sites/de...cedh_flyer.pdf
Looks like work on South Central extension will actually start next month at Cityscape with the hub.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/09/19...ail-expansion/
Quote:
Extension projects include the South Central extension, which would extend the light rail 5.5 miles down Central Ave to Baseline Road. The extension would begin at the CityScape Station, ending at the Baseline Station.

“Basically for the light rail to go south and for them to create the connection here they have to create a small bridge from Central to Jefferson. Not a bridge, but like a small rail track. And they’re actually starting next month and that’s why they need to do this inspection,” said Garcia, who also said the inspection was necessary for the project to move forward.

Garcia also said by allowing these consultants to inspect the surrounding areas for all the planned expansion sites at the same time, it would give clearance to all the projects to move forward.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Looks like work on South Central extension will actually start next month at Cityscape with the hub.

Who's ready for downtown to be a complete construction disaster for the next 3 years

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Who's ready for downtown to be a complete construction disaster for the next 3 years
This guy

Wonder what other location they'll have for the ice skating rink and the Christmas Tree during the holidays and all those other events they used to host in that small stretch of Central between Washington & Jefferson.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Downtown Phoenix will be similar to the construction disaster and closed lanes in Tempe. But hey, Hopefully this encourages more new development along this line down through south phoenix.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Downtown Phoenix will be similar to the construction disaster and closed lanes in Tempe. But hey, Hopefully this encourages more new development along this line down through south phoenix.
Agreed. Excited to see what this does to spur growth in the Warehouse District. And hopefully gets Barrister project (The Jefferson) off their asses

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:46 AM
Modulator

Well, this isn't going to last long. There were a couple of scooters on the sidewalks that I had to dodge around on my walk around Downtown this evening. Sure enough, afterwards I find this article on New Times on exactly why this is happening even with Phoenix's strict guidelines about scooter rules. I've also seen several riders on the sidewalks even though riders are prohibited from doing so. This is why I have so much angst against the scooters. I've just had nothing but bad experience with them and riders. It's the number one reason that I no longer ride my bike around Tempe Town Lake. Just no respect for pedestrians and right of way. Not even by the companies. Sigh...

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...rules-11359970

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
This article states the biggest support for Prop 105 came from South Phoenix along Central (as expected) but those neighborhoods with light rail already running through it or planned, were the most opposed to Prop 105. Great news.

https://www.azmirror.com/2019/09/16/...ines-or-plans/
Quote:

Excellent!!! Thanks for sharing this! I'm glad they move forward the light rail expansion projects. Hopefully they will continue to expanding more light rail extension.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:33 AM

It really is a build environment issue. No city is build to accommodate these scooters so they end up feeling like a nuisance. Imagine if there was a dedicated lane for bicycles, scooters, etc with cut outs to park/lock them along all the roads? If roads had street side parking, of which some could be dedicated to non-car/trucks, it would be a big improvement Unfortunately most cities, suburbs, towns, etc. do not. I don't blame the scooters so much as most city build environment.

I spent 5 weeks in Florence and the city had adapted to the to motor scooters (sit down and drive kind) and they had cut outs even on their narrow streets. It can be done in certain areas if there is a will.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:51 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
It really is a build environment issue. No city is build to accommodate these scooters so they end up feeling like a nuisance. Imagine if there was a dedicated lane for bicycles, scooters, etc with cut outs to park/lock them along all the roads? If roads had street side parking, of which some could be dedicated to non-car/trucks, it would be a big improvement Unfortunately most cities, suburbs, towns, etc. do not. I don't blame the scooters so much as most city build environment.

I spent 5 weeks in Florence and the city had adapted to the to motor scooters (sit down and drive kind) and they had cut outs even on their narrow streets. It can be done in certain areas if there is a will.
Yes, that's part of the problem. Sidewalk riding is not allowed, but the zone for the pilot has few bike lanes except those on Roosevelt and the sharrows on Fillmore. Scooters are not allowed in Hance Park or in the ground of the Biomedical Campus. It's hard to know where someone trying to abide by the rules is supposed to ride -- at least in downtown Phoenix. I know it's a different situation in Tempe.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, that's part of the problem. Sidewalk riding is not allowed, but the zone for the pilot has few bike lanes except those on Roosevelt and the sharrows on Fillmore. Scooters are not allowed in Hance Park or in the ground of the Biomedical Campus. It's hard to know where someone trying to abide by the rules is supposed to ride -- at least in downtown Phoenix. I know it's a different situation in Tempe.
According to the rules set for the scooters, the scooters are supposed alert the rider and cut to a 4 mph tops speed if taken in a zone that does not allow for riding (i.e. ASU campus). Problem is that Lime and Bird are not abiding by the location rules set forth in the agreement with the city of Phoenix which is what's allowing the scooters to be able to be parked/ridden anywhere.

In reply to SunDevil's comment about parking build-outs, not sure if you have been to downtown to check out the scooter pilot, but clearly marked dedicated scooter parking zones have been laid out all over by by the City of Phoenix. Dozens of locations on nearly ever corner in the test zone...some on the street, some on the sidewalk. They can't be missed. Two of the scooters I seen yesterday were parked on the sidewalk a mere few feet from the designated scooter parking zone. This is not a build issue. This is simply a lazy rider to self-involved to park a scooter 5 feet away in a properly marked zone. This is where geo-enforcement from the scooter manufacturer needs to come into play and force the rider to park and ride properly.

I do concur, there needs to be dedicated bike lanes on the main roadways (who wants to ride the 7's without a protected bike lane??). But several of the riders I have witnessed so far on the sidewalks were in areas where there are current marked bike lanes, yet they were on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
I have been all over the country and no doubt that our freeway system is one of the best in the nation extensive, organize well lit up and fast growing
Just wish they’d replace the rubberized asphalt more frequently. There are sections of freeway throughout the valley that aren’t so nice anymore as a result...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Well if they expect development to spread along the newly revitalized Salt River in PHX like it did in Tempe, then this line is key towards connecting downtown with that area for future development....

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:44 PM
Skyriser

I get goosebumps thinking about the future Salt River Towers on Central and the 17. They could pull off 250' there probably.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Just wish they’d replace the rubberized asphalt more frequently. There are sections of freeway throughout the valley that aren’t so nice anymore as a result...
Exactly. South 202 through East Valley is a cheese grater.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 7:06 PM

Lime and Bird Pull Scooters From Downtown Phoenix After Breaking Rules

Well that didn't take long....what a shit show. Obviously, the scooter companies are to blame here. How the hell do you not test this prior to launch to ensure compliance w/ city requirements?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ncing-11362302

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 7:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Well that didn't take long....what a shit show. Obviously, the scooter companies are to blame here. How the hell do you not test this prior to launch to ensure compliance w/ city requirements?

Welp. I called it. Thought it would be a few months at least, but dang! They should be required to reimburse Phoenix for all the time, money and materials spent setting up this trial. I didn't read it in the article, but I wonder if this is just to tweak the GPS system? The article does state temporarily".

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:

Dammit guys I want scooters to go to work.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:27 PM

Scooters are pretty divisive. I am nervous with people riding them on the sidewalks acting like pedestrians should just get out of their way. People who use them responsibly are a ok.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest