HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Very early this morning...

ALT Hotel.

Star of the Sea Condos.

MIX Apartments.

Great pictures man, Especially of the MIX. Im wondering if you do any professional finished pictures. My first completed project was the convention center expansion. Looking for finished photos to get framed. Thanks,

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
Great pictures man, Especially of the MIX. Im wondering if you do any professional finished pictures. My first completed project was the convention center expansion. Looking for finished photos to get framed. Thanks,
You didn't know??? SHH in a photography virtuoso.... . And as always, great pics SHH!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:59 PM

Smile

Nice to see that building finally coming together. It's been quite a while. I wonder what Duckworth would be like to live on, though, noise-wise. I can imagine the summer motorcycle revving would be unbearable.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
im surprised it lasted this long

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:36 PM

Just read on CBC news. The chronicle herald out of Halifax has purchased all the transcontinental papers in Atlantic Canada. That includes the Telegram.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...pers-1.4069102

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'll get some for ya Gravelley.

A few from this morning.

MIX.

ALT Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 2:16 PM

Not sure if this was posted here yet. Jut had a quick look through the governments most recent Inventory for major capital projects. A couple that stood out that are listed to start this year. Tiffany towers and Hilton Garden Inn. Fingers crossed that these actually happen. These would make major impacts on the skyline of the city.

2017/2018 - Manga Hotels Group - construction of a Hilton Garden Inn with 155 guest rooms and 5,000 sq. ft. of conference facilities located at New Gower Street/Springdale Street/ Pleasant Street. (St. John's)

2017/2020 - KMK Capital Inc. - development of "Tiffany Towers", two 16-storey buildings consisting of a total of 240 residential units as well as a three-level underground parking garage. (St. John's)

http://www.economics.gov.nl.ca/E2017...alProjects.pdf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 8:52 PM

That Hilton Garden Inn has been around as a proposal for a number of years now. There have been several different designs but I think this might be their best yet.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Not sure if this was posted here yet. Jut had a quick look through the governments most recent Inventory for major capital projects. A couple that stood out that are listed to start this year. Tiffany towers and Hilton Garden Inn. Fingers crossed that these actually happen. These would make major impacts on the skyline of the city.

2017/2018 - Manga Hotels Group - construction of a Hilton Garden Inn with 155 guest rooms and 5,000 sq. ft. of conference facilities located at New Gower Street/Springdale Street/ Pleasant Street. (St. John's)

2017/2020 - KMK Capital Inc. - development of "Tiffany Towers", two 16-storey buildings consisting of a total of 240 residential units as well as a three-level underground parking garage. (St. John's)

http://www.economics.gov.nl.ca/E2017...alProjects.pdf

The company developing the hotel is the same one developing the star of the sea condos with the yellow tower crane. So I imagine it will get under construction as the other project gets further along. However I'm glad to see that this and tiffany towers seem to still be projects that might happen. I image the delays have to do with the financing and we hear about the projects really early in the planning stages. Also I'm sure as the economy turned, these companies probably held off to see where things were headed or to get their own finances in order kind of thing.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:35 AM

Here's a pic of MIX I took when I was at the gym. It has much more of a presence than I expected. I'm happy to see it chugging along.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:08 PM

It's not the most exciting building in the world, but I do love that we won't have an abandoned, crumbling eyesore sticking out over water street.

Now, if only something could happen to the old CBC building across the street

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
The company developing the hotel is the same one developing the star of the sea condos with the yellow tower crane. So I imagine it will get under construction as the other project gets further along. However I'm glad to see that this and tiffany towers seem to still be projects that might happen. I image the delays have to do with the financing and we hear about the projects really early in the planning stages. Also I'm sure as the economy turned, these companies probably held off to see where things were headed or to get their own finances in order kind of thing.
It's great to see these projects are not dead in the water as I suspected they may have been. Hopefully some significant movement this construction season. Definitely a game changer for the city's skyline for sure.

I concur that the latest render of the Hilton is by far the nicest. There have been quite a few changes in it's design over the past few years.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It's great to see these projects are not dead in the water as I suspected they may have been. Hopefully some significant movement this construction season. Definitely a game changer for the city's skyline for sure.

I concur that the latest render of the Hilton is by far the nicest. There have been quite a few changes in it's design over the past few years.
The Red makes it pop.
I'd like to see similar on any number of buildings. Makes an otherwise blasé design, more palatable.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
The Red makes it pop.
I'd like to see similar on any number of buildings. Makes an otherwise blasé design, more palatable.
Wait until the NIMBY/heritage crowd come across the latest proposal. 12 stories right at the bottom of Pleasant Street...oh boy, this should be fun to watch.

I hope it does go ahead as soon as possible.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Wait until the NIMBY/heritage crowd come across the latest proposal. 12 stories right at the bottom of Pleasant Street...oh boy, this should be fun to watch.

Have no fear, the NIMBY's have been all over this project since day one.... :-( Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the current design has already been brought forward to council. I gotta say, for a economy that's in the crapper there seems to be quite a few projects going on, especially in the downtown area of SJ.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:

As I recall the most notable defenders of built heritage had no problem with the nearby Fortis Place. This may meet less resistance than you think.

A bigger threat will be overcapacity in the hotel market.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
A bigger threat will be overcapacity in the hotel market.
Yes - very true.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:

You're about five years too late to that party. The current proposal, both in design and lot placement, is through tedious compromise with the residents of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:23 PM

Anyone know what's going on at the bottom of Henry St. next to the Sprout's parking garage thing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's