HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:16 AM

Rainey was rezoned for the purpose of opening it up to high rise development. The bungalow bars moved in just as filler until that development could come to fruition.

The Great Recession delayed that and we came to love the bars.

It will be cool if redevelopment happens but some of the current Rainey culture is incorporated into the new buildings, forever cementing the culture in the neighborhood.

I hope the city will rezone another area of bungalows soon.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Rainey was rezoned for the purpose of opening it up to high rise development. The bungalow bars moved in just as filler until that development could come to fruition.

The Great Recession delayed that and we came to love the bars.

It will be cool if redevelopment happens but some of the current Rainey culture is incorporated into the new buildings, forever cementing the culture in the neighborhood.

I hope the city will rezone another area of bungalows soon.
If they're taking rezoning suggestions, might I humbly suggest Clarksville?

The Rainey awakening was really just a moment in time that we should either treasure or curse depending on our experiences with it. I've had plenty of fun on Rainey but I'm happy more people will be living and working on it soon. I hope that the redevelopment can accommodate at least some of the current use, but clearly the outdoor gravel patios are not going to be around for long. I think we underestimate how difficult it is to incorporate music venues into new highrises. I'm sure some would be glad to build the next ACL Live theater, but the math probably doesn't work for smaller venues especially given the nuisance factors that accompany them.

Another area that I think we'll eventually come to miss is our "brewery district" around Metric Blvd.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post

Another area that I think we'll eventually come to miss is our "brewery district" around Metric Blvd.
Spot on. That entire swath around the stadium and Broadmoor, and south of the Domain on Burnet is going to flip in the near future. It's very shortly going to be too valuable for single story office/warehouse.

I've been thinking about JJ Pickle more and more, and think that at some point UT's going to have to consider parceling some off to private development, or get serious about turning it into a denser campus than already exists. It seems silly to limit the built environment to "rural campus extension" when sooner rather than later it'll be surrounded by 200-300 ft towers.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

I've been thinking about JJ Pickle more and more, and think that at some point UT's going to have to consider parceling some off to private development, or get serious about turning it into a denser campus than already exists. It seems silly to limit the built environment to "rural campus extension" when sooner rather than later it'll be surrounded by 200-300 ft towers.
UT, like the city of Austin, is loathe to get rid of assets. Look at the Brackenridge tract on Lake Austin. Probably some of the most VALUABLE real estate in all of Austin....it's lake front. What is UT doing with it? 1960's era 2 story, low density MARRIED student housing! UT doesn't have 2 shits to give.

Muni is a different story of course, because UT isn't getting what it is really worth in rent. I don't want to lose Muni either, but I totally understand UT's position. UT's fiduciary is to themselves not to the COA, or the game of golf for that matter.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
If they're taking rezoning suggestions, might I humbly suggest Clarksville?
I've thought about Clarksville too as the next "Rainey"-type setting should the bungalows on Rainey eventually disappear. But as others have pointed out, it seems the culture on Rainey has cemented enough that new buildings appear to be incorporating the nightlife vibe, or even the bars themselves, into their bases, and other existing bars are adding more floors.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I've thought about Clarksville too as the next "Rainey"-type setting should the bungalows on Rainey eventually disappear. But as others have pointed out, it seems the culture on Rainey has cemented enough that new buildings appear to be incorporating the nightlife vibe, or even the bars themselves, into their bases, and other existing bars are adding more floors.
Rainey Street was a two or three block strip of decrepit bungalows, and about half of them were owned by investor landlords (some of them wannabe developers) eager to see a zoning change in order to maximize their investment. Clarksville is home to million dollar bungalows and pricey condos. It is NIMBY Central. Good luck with getting a CBD rezone in that hood. Hopefully one of these days some rezoning might take place south of W 6th to allow for some high(er) rise residential development. Everything to the east will become ever more dear and pricey. It's not going to turn into clubland. https://www.realtyaustin.com/clarksville.php

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin