Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:23 PM

http://www.wnem.com/story/32490370/1...apitol-theatre

Quote:
15-million dollar boost for Flint's historic Capitol Theatre

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 1:41 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 20, 2016 1:41 PM EDT

By Ian Rubin, TV5 News Director

Efforts to renovate Flint’s historic Capitol Theatre have received a $15 million boost from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation. Mott awarded the grant to the Flint Cultural Center Foundation, a supporting organization of the Flint Cultural Center Corporation (FCCC). The funds will support efforts to restore and preserve the distinctive architecture of the theater, while updating it with cutting-edge technology and modern amenities.

“This is a big step toward assuring the return of the Capitol Theatre to its former, fully operational glory,” said Jarret M. Haynes, executive director of The Whiting, a member organization of the FCCC. “The support from the Mott Foundation will allow us to transition the project from the concept and design phase to implementation.”

As WNEM reported earlier this month, The Whiting and Uptown Reinvestment Corporation (URC), a non-profit organization that focuses on revitalization projects, announced they had acquired the building. The two organizations are collaborating to return the Capitol to its place as a driving force in Flint’s arts and culture scene. URC will lead the redevelopment of the venue, while The Whiting will serve as its operator and presenter.

In addition to the grant from Mott, the project has received $4 million from The Hagerman Foundation and $5.5 million from the state of Michigan through its Community Revitalization Program. Renovations are expected to take 14 to 16 months. While some performances may occur in the late summer or early fall of 2017, the grand reopening of the theater — with a full slate of performances — is currently planned for late 2017 or early 2018.

“A restored and reactivated Capitol Theatre will bring exciting shows to our community, bolster Flint’s reputation as a place where residents and visitors can enjoy the arts, and contribute to the city’s resurgence,” said Ridgway White, Mott Foundation president. “We’re pleased to support a project that has so much potential to create economic opportunity while also enhancing quality of life.”

A free community event at the Capitol will kick off the renovation efforts. The public is invited to enjoy entertainment and refreshments, see design concepts and tour the facility in its current condition. The event will be held on Thursday, July 21, from 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The Capitol Theatre is located at 140 E. 2nd St. in Flint, Michigan.

Copyright 2016 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:24 PM

I plan on going to the preview event tomorrow. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:20 PM
Registered Ugly

Don't get me wrong, I think this was the right move. It's an iconic and beautiful building. But Uptown is basically just a nonprofit arm of the Farah family. The theater was transferred to the nonprofit out of necessity to access the capital.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think this was the right move. It's an iconic and beautiful building. But Uptown is basically just a nonprofit arm of the Farah family. The theater was transferred to the nonprofit out of necessity to access the capital.
Pretty sure Uptown isn't listed as a non-profit. Also Troy Farah is just one of several investors in Uptown, including Phil Schalz.

From a 2002 article.

Quote:
Uptown Developments, LLC, was formed in 2002 specifically to acquire and renovate real estate in downtown Flint. The development team consists of eight Flint-based investors (listed below) that have strong ties to the community and own and manage some of the most respected businesses in Flint. They are a diverse group of community leaders that share a vision of reinventing downtown Flint with a focus on solid real estate investment in housing, office, retail, and cultural/arts/entertainment uses.

Uptown Development Partners:

George Falaras
Blue Collar Gourmet, Owner

Troy Farah
West Second Associates, Managing Member

Tim Herman
Uptown Reinvestment Corporation, President

Gary Hurand
Management Diversified Inc., Owner/President

Al Kloss
Daystar Developments, Owner

Laval Perry
Uptown Developments, Managing Member

Ghassan Saab
Sorenson Gross Construction, President/CEO

Phil Shaltz
Shaltz Automation, President/CEO
Not even sure if all the original investors are involved. Pretty sure Al Kloss has sold all of his holdings in downtown to Phil Hagerman.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:35 PM
Registered Ugly

Uptown Development Partners is not the same as Uptown Reinvestment.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjgumby View Post
Pretty sure Uptown isn't listed as a non-profit.
Just saw on their site that they are a 501(c) (3), which makes the exemt from federal income tax. So I was incorrect about that.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Uptown Development Partners is not the same as Uptown Reinvestment.
I know but it is Uptown Reinvestments that is the one working on this project.

http://uptownreinvestment.org/about/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Ah wait I see that it was me that messed up. oops.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:54 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Right, we are saying the same thing. Just some confusion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 1:31 AM

Went to the public preview on Thursday at the Capitol and took a ton of pictures. Found out a few things. My favorite is that they are going to remove the 3rd floor addition from the west side of the building and restore it back to its original 2 story look and replicate all the Terra Cotta along the roofline like the rest of the building. The basement which used to house a small bowling alley and pool hall (Capitol Recreation) is going to house a 200 seat performance/flex space. Also it sounds like they are going to turn the storefront space that used to house The Spencer Agency is going to become the new Concession area.Signs by Crannie will be removing the marquee and blade and completely restoring it and there will be LED screens to replace the old manual signs.

Last edited by bobjgumby; Jul 25, 2016 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 1:56 AM

Here are a few of the pictures I took.

The drywall ceiling in the lobby will be removed and they will be replicating the original plaster coffered barrel ceiling.

Went through a second time and the pictures came out a little better.

Original exit sign

What the original lobby ceiling looked like.

Concessions.

They've begun masonry repairs on the Harrison St. side and have removed the terra cotta for repairs and replication.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 3:17 AM

Thanks for the pics, bob.

Obviously things have calmed down a bit in Flint compared to a few years ago, but there are a few other projects going on:

- Kettering is making good progress on it's automotive testing area. All of the old concrete is gone, and a new layer of asphalt is down.

- Kettering tore down a liquor store on University Ave. and built a new little strip mall.

- Communities First, Inc. is making good progress on the Swayze Court Apartments, which included a large addition. This, along with the Oak School renovation (and addition), have provided some nice infill in the Grand Traverse neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 3:21 AM

New Flint manufacturer wants to hire residents, improve life in city

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...art_river_home

Quote:
New Flint manufacturer wants to hire residents, improve life in city

By Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com
on July 26, 2016 at 5:50 PM, updated July 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM

FLINT, MI -- A company that manufactures plastic auto parts is looking to employ as many as 380 Flint residents and improve quality of life in the area surrounding its new facility.

C3 Ventures is an eco-friendly injection molding company that is looking to use Flint's used water bottles to make plastic car parts for Tesla. The company purchased Riverview Industrial Park, a former DuPont manufacturing facility, at 1809 James P. Cole Blvd., and plans to renovate the site and start manufacturing parts.

The facility will be located in a part of the city that has been hit particularly hard by the loss of manufacturing, including the former Buick City site.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:59 PM

Good to see Flint development picking up pace again.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:26 AM

I forgot one....

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ny_headed.html

Quote:
New hard cider company headed to mid-Michigan

By Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com
on July 08, 2016 at 6:20 PM, updated July 08, 2016 at 6:33 PM

FLINT, MI -- A new hard cider company is coming to mid-Michigan, just north of downtown Flint.

Flint City Hard Cider Co., an urban cider house that will create "off-the-wall" ciders and meads, met its KickStarter goal of $30,000 with 96 backers Friday afternoon, July 8, with just a day left in the campaign. The funds raised will help offset the cost of the newly purchased building and its repairs, said Charlie Burt, general manager and cider maker.

It's located at 610 Martin Luther King Avenue, across the street from Soggy Bottom Bar and The Local Grocer.

"We're definitely excited about the location. We are excited to be kind of on the front lines of expansion of downtown Flint, and getting this area on Martin Luther King revamped is something we really are looking forward to doing," Burt said.

Burt and his crew are already working to secure food and wine licenses and to renovate the building – which was most recently used as a barber shop and years ago was a store called Jag the Haberdasher. The plan for the 8,000-square-foot building is to have a full-scale production facility and 50-person tap room, complete with a stage for live music.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:32 AM

Some updates from 8/7/16

The Dryden Building appears to be completed or nearly completed with renovations

Capitol Theatre progress

Swayze Court Apartments and addition

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 1:23 PM

They have begun construction on the Feris Furs Building next door to the Dryden sometime last week. They tore out the old false storefront and put up a temporary plywood one while they work on it. They have been working everyday, not much cleanout required as when they have the door open you can see all the way back to the alley windows.

More positive news, they have also begun putting the brick back up on the Harrison St. façade of the Capitol, it appears that they had to reconstruct the back part of the parapet wall with cinderblock.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:44 PM

Lookin good Flint, i didn't really like the new windows on the Dryden at first but it does give a bit of a "new" or "refreshed" look and until there's a lil more new construction downtown i don't mind making moves like this. I was just in Flint last week on my way to and back from the UP gotta get me some Halo Burger haha, yea i know there's one in Novi and Troy i think but nothin beats the original(s).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:39 AM

They took the communications tower off of the AT&T Building.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...f_att_bui.html

One of my pics from afterwards:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 5:40 PM

They have begun to remove the 3rd story addition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest