HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:13 AM
heavy user of walkability

not sure how significant this is, but I noticed this weekend there was digging equipment parked at the former cement facility across Third from the new UCSF medical center (looking north. equipment behind the fence on the right):

on closer inspection it was obvious they had been doing some kind of ground scraping in the northern portion of the site (which I think had been used mostly for raw materials storage):

... but it was hard to tell if this was maybe an indication of the start of demolition of the rest of the structures there, and mean that another major piece of Old Mission Bay was about to disappear, or just more minor clean-up. this of course is one of the Salesforce parcels.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Why is the bathroom 500 feet away? When kids gotta go, they gotta go!
Yeah, the planners said they didn't have one in the design so yes, they would have to use the one in Mission Creek Park. I don't have any kids, so I didn't realize this would be an issue for families but I think it makes sense to have one there and should be brought up again at the next planning workshop.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
not sure how significant this is, but I noticed this weekend there was digging equipment parked at the former cement facility across Third from the new UCSF medical center (looking north. equipment behind the fence on the right):

on closer inspection it was obvious they had been doing some kind of ground scraping in the northern portion of the site (which I think had been used mostly for raw materials storage):

... but it was hard to tell if this was maybe an indication of the start of demolition of the rest of the structures there, and mean that another major piece of Old Mission Bay was about to disappear, or just more minor clean-up. this of course is one of the Salesforce parcels.
Hmm, maybe this current project map can show what it could possibly be they are doing there:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-map-2012.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:20 AM

Tester piles have starting going in on Block 5

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:24 AM

Looks like the Supes last week approved UCSF's plan to cut off vehicular access on the forthcoming Fourth Street segment between 16th and Mariposa. It will be a pair of cul-de-sacs providing access to the hospitals from each end with a public plaza in the middle. Pedestrian and bike access will be provided through the area to support that connectivity.

Great outcome for UCSF and Dogpatch neighbors, who were worried about a thru Fourth funneling heavy traffic right into their neighborhood. I believe the plan comes with some enhancements to future Owens and perhaps Third to help handle the increased traffic load they will see without Fourth being there as planned.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/07/10...hold-the-cars/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 5:35 AM

blocks 5 and 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady73 View Post
Tester piles have starting going in on Block 5
yes indeed, and my, what a lovely sight that was to come back to from a brief vacation!

here is a context shot looking south from Fourth and Channel at block 13 in the foreground and block 5 in the distance...

... here is block 5, looking roughly southwest from Fourth. Long Bridge St is out of the pic just to the right:

... and there is also a little activity on block 13East, where it looked like they were busy peeling up the asphalt yesterday (looking south from Channel. block 5 in the distance):

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 6:05 AM

cement parcel returns to dust

Quote:
not sure how significant this is, but I noticed this weekend there was digging equipment parked at the former cement facility across Third from the new UCSF medical center ...

... but it was hard to tell if this was maybe an indication of the start of demolition of the rest of the structures there, and mean that another major piece of Old Mission Bay was about to disappear...
well, I think we get to say goodbye to the beloved cement facility. here's a shot looking down the length of the parcel, north to south:

... and a more close-up shot showing the state of things inside the southern end where the actual processing equipment is/was:

it will be so strange not to have especially the tower thing there! I imagine the trees will get pulled out too, which will leave it feeling weirdly open and sunny. (this is not nostalgia! )

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 6:26 AM

Madrone update

Madrone continues to get its final external polish... much of the perimeter fencing has been taken down, so there are now better views of street-level things like the southeast corner entrance, which has its red flair installed:

on the west side, the street-level had just gotten its coat of white paint:

closer up looking north along Third:

... and the south face:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Just to add to the great work timbad does in keeping us up to date, I took a few shots around Mission Bay on Tuesday.

First up is Madrone. It looks much darker in person than in photos (and vs. the original models):

With the wrappings off the bottom, it looks to me like the ground floor along 3rd St. will definitely be retail.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:49 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This is Block 2, which is UDR residential:

To the south of that is Block 3 West, which is more residential from Urban Housing Group:

West of those sites is Block 13 East, which is being prepped and has a trailer on site:

And to the south of that is Block 5 (which is yet more housing from BRE) where piles are being driven:

I feel for the people living in Strata as they are surrounded by construction noise with piles being driven directly to the east and west of them.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jul 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
... I took a few shots around Mission Bay on Tuesday.

First up is Madrone. It looks much darker in person than in photos (and vs. the original models)... With the wrappings off the bottom, it looks to me like the ground floor along 3rd St. will definitely be retail.
haha, you scooped me pg! I had just gone by last night and gotten new shots, but was going to upload tonight.

it's nice to see that ground floor retail-ready. not sure if it comes through in the photos, but there is a slight setback on the Third St side that makes me as a pedestrian feel comfortable with the space I have on the sidewalk as I walk by that face. I had been a little worried about that.

overall, I'm liking Madrone better than I thought I would as it was going up.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 4:57 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Sorry about that, timbad! You should go ahead and post them. It's interesting to see things at different times of day, with different lighting, etc.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 6:09 AM

Madrone makes for an excellent backdrop at Giants games.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:18 AM

Curbed SF pointed to this piece about the extensive landscaping/gardens that are part of the UCSF MB Hospital. makes me feel better about a not-that-visually-thrilling design

side note: I may not be posting much by way of pics over the next couple weeks or so, sidelined with a gimpy ankle

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 9:23 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Curbed SF pointed to this piece about the extensive landscaping/gardens that are part of the UCSF MB Hospital. makes me feel better about a not-that-visually-thrilling design

side note: I may not be posting much by way of pics over the next couple weeks or so, sidelined with a gimpy ankle
Wow...that landscaping could be fantastic! Good luck with the ankle...we need your pics

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 2:48 PM

Aerial View

I was hoping someone might have an updated version of the aerial shot of Mission Bay posted on May 8, 2007 (by Fflint and Rocketman_95046). The changes in the past 5 years have been dramatic, and it would be great to get an overall picture of what has happened. Wish I could rent a plane and take that picture myself.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprsf View Post
I was hoping someone might have an updated version of the aerial shot of Mission Bay posted on May 8, 2007 (by Fflint and Rocketman_95046). The changes in the past 5 years have been dramatic, and it would be great to get an overall picture of what has happened. Wish I could rent a plane and take that picture myself.
Here are the most recent aerial shots I could find on Flickr:

From March:

by eeetthaannn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eeetthaannn/6845202718/

From July:

by mahita_penke: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mahita-...n/photostream/

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:45 PM

Thanks

The second pic gives hints about how the area is coming together as a cohesive neighborhood. Lots more to do,of course. Love the view of my house in the extreme right hand corner (in Parkview Heights, Potrero Hill)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 6:48 AM

cement parcel

the ankle seemed to be a bit better this weekend, so I tested it on a quick stroll around the 'hood Sunday.

Quote:
well, I think we get to say goodbye to the beloved cement facility. ...
more of it has been disappeared... here looking north to south down the length of the parcel (hospital on the right). not much sticking up anymore:

looks like there's some deeper stuff that needs demolishing too (light wasn't the best for this shot):

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 7:01 AM

Potrero Launch

Potrero Launch looks about the same from the Third St side, except the scaffolding is all down, so the sidewalk is now clear:

on the Illinois side they still haven't put in a sidewalk yet:

and they seem to have jumped right in on replacing the small building they tore down on the south side of that same block. I don't think it was part of Potrero Launch:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development