HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 9:39 PM

name an alpha city that isn't at odds with the state capital or the rural constituents? not too many...the alpha city is always seen as the regional bully, and is treated as such.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
name an alpha city that isn't at odds with the state capital or the rural constituents? not too many...the alpha city is always seen as the regional bully, and is treated as such.
And the hinterland is always seen as a drag on said alpha city, and treated as such.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 9:56 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

metropolitan hinterlands are screwed up in the united states, i always say this. states should be built around the economic activity of cities, and not the arbitrary state lines drawn up by fucking gentleman farmers prior to 19th century urbanization.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
metropolitan hinterlands are screwed up in the united states, i always say this. states should be built around the economic activity of cities, and not the arbitrary state lines drawn up by fucking gentleman farmers prior to 19th century urbanization.
Yep. Chicago probably has more in common with Madison than it does Springfield. Outstate and Eastern MO should probably merge and Western MO could go to KS. Chicagoland and environs could team up with WI or form a new state.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Yep. Chicago probably has more in common with Madison than it does Springfield. Outstate and Eastern MO should probably merge and Western MO could go to KS. Chicagoland and environs could team up with WI or form a new state.
yeah i mean, we are more of a city-state type place.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 10:31 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Fix the south side, then we'll talk

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Fix the south side, then we'll talk
Much of the South Side is fine. It's as diverse as NYC's boroughs, but without the intense housing cost pressure that's causing gentrification to spread to almost every corner of the city.

This is the South Side:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.75...eR-qCPS40g!2e0

So is this:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...e0a6ad09c0c000

And this:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.72...-Xyr1BxUqw!2e0

There's actually not much of it that looks like this (mostly to either side of the Dan Ryan Expressway):

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Much of the South Side is fine. It's as diverse as NYC's boroughs, but without the intense housing cost pressure that's causing gentrification to spread to almost every corner of the city.
The South Side is nowhere near as diverse as the NYC boroughs. It's about as diverse (and as healthy) as Detroit or Cleveland.

The South Side is mostly black, and has few immigrants, except for some Mexicans where the South Side meets the West Side and some more Mexicans on a silver of the Indiana state line. The only really desirable part is right around the U of Chicago, and even that sells at a large discount to equivalent North Side neighborhoods.

The most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago, by far, are all on the North/Northwest Side. Places like Albany Park. Same goes for the suburbs. The diversity is North and West. Places like Morton Grove and Schaumburg. South Side (and South Suburbs) are mostly black.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The South Side is nowhere near as diverse as the NYC boroughs. It's about as diverse (and as healthy) as Detroit or Cleveland.

The South Side is mostly black, and has few immigrants, except for some Mexicans where the South Side meets the West Side and some more Mexicans on a silver of the Indiana state line. The only really desirable part is right around the U of Chicago, and even that sells at a large discount to equivalent North Side neighborhoods.

The most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago, by far, are all on the North/Northwest Side. Places like Albany Park. Same goes for the suburbs. The diversity is North and West. South Side (and South Suburbs) are mostly black.
there's bitchy white people (some white "ethnics" as i've seen them called on here) on the southside. the southside is fucking huge, bigger in land area than the northside. there are immaculate areas of the southside around midway and of course bev, far tidier and more prideful than lots of logan square and other "cool-zones" loaded with transplants.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
there's bitchy white people (some white "ethnics" as i've seen them called on here) on the southside. the southside is fucking huge, bigger in land area than the northside.
Well, yeah. The South Side is probably 40-50% of Chicago. It isn't 100% anything, obviously, but it's mostly black, and mostly not very desirable, and definitely not comparable to North/Northwest Side diversity.

I think Midway Airport area is working class white ethnic formerly, now mostly Mexican, maybe? That would be Southwest Side, so the part where you have the huge Mexican community radiating out from Little Village/Pilsen to the fringes of the city and into the western burbs (check out Cicero, which is pretty much all Mexican). I think of places like Cicero as more West Side/Western Burbs, or at least SW Side.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

This is the South Side:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.75...eR-qCPS40g!2e0

So is this:

And this:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.72...-Xyr1BxUqw!2e0

There's actually not much of it that looks like this (mostly to either side of the Dan Ryan Expressway):
Chicago is a regional money center, today, at best. NYC is gentrifying because the financial industry in NYC almost ALWAYS makes a lot of money. With the decline of manufacturing that has occurred in both NYC* and Chicago, only NYC has had the huge financial industry which provides hundreds of thousands of high paying jobs (yes, I know, NYC is very expensive, but that is the result of the money made in the financial industry there.)

*Brooklyn NYC, into the early 60s was a huge manufacturing center, perhaps a close 2nd to Chicago at the time.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:26 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
the state of illinois is a basketcase. i wonder how much of that is holding chicago down, and how much chicagoland is sort of using/abusing the state for it's own gain. outstate illinois (where i work a lot as our chicago office doesnt touch it) is in decline, and i assume a lot of wealth/talent jumps ship for chicago, but some leaves the state. outstate is shotgunned with small rustbelt cities everywhere, and the countryside seems extremely poor for a midwestern state unless you are a big farmer.
The City of Chicago is no better than the state tbqh both are fiscally irresponsible and both are grossly mismanaged. Cook County is really the only government body that seems to be attempting to turn the corner. Not just saying that because its my employer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Chicago is a regional money center, today, at best. NYC is gentrifying because the financial industry in NYC almost ALWAYS makes a lot of money.
Chicago is very much a regional banking center, but in financial services it is center stage in derivatives and risk management. CME Group, CBOE and the trading shops here are massive. Many people typically associate finance with equities and the stock exchanges. That is to be expected as the media focus primarily on the capital markets. Here, it is futures and options on the derivatives exchanges.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:42 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Well, yeah. The South Side is probably 40-50% of Chicago. It isn't 100% anything, obviously, but it's mostly black, and mostly not very desirable, and definitely not comparable to North/Northwest Side diversity.
Chicago is very segregated I don't think any one area/neighborhood can boast about a great amount of "diversity", I'm black, I live on the north side and ride to work with 80-90% white people. And on my return trip I can guarantee most all of the diversity on the train drops past Chicago and State.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:45 AM

This is all opinion based but if your asking if Chicago can ever become NY i would say that its possible...it may not happen in the next 50 years..but who knows how many years down the road what might happen...If any city in America could compete with NY it would hands down be Chicago. Its infrastructure, finance, diversity, political power is all pretty much second only to NYC. Chicago has all the foundation in place for growth...lets not forget this city was thought to become the largest city in america during the 1930's cause it was growing so fast. Obviously we dont have immigration like that anymore but im just saying we dont know how things will turn out .

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:04 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

If I were a betting man I would bet all of the midwest will see a resurgence in the next 50-80 years as the coast and the sunbelt increase in cost and as they run out of water.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Chicago is very segregated I don't think any one area/neighborhood can boast about a great amount of "diversity", I'm black, I live on the north side and ride to work with 80-90% white people. And on my return trip I can guarantee most all of the diversity on the train drops past Chicago and State.
Albany Park.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:08 AM

Chicago you have a "inferiority" complex!

Go get help! as you drink your !

You will never be a New York City.

You are a "Unique" city though.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:09 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Albany Park.
It may be technically diverse but its still mostly either latinos/hispanics or muslims from the middle east, asia and india that's still segregated imo

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Chicago you have a "inferiority" complex!

Go get help! as you drink your !

You will never be a New York City.

You are a "Unique" city though.
You can see this in the Chicago threads. Mention one negative thing and you get your scrotum ripped apart.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions